Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pc performance

Quote Originally Posted by Penndulum View Post
    As in title. Whats the minimum performance for Pc to run AoC ,im having a bit problems in khitai ,frozens even take 5-10 sec.. right now i got
    GeForce gtx 280
    Amd athlon dual core 2.8ghz
    3gb Ram ddr2
    20mb\s net
    What should be changed? Cause playing in khitai is painfull.
    As other people mentioned, you're going to need at least 4 GB RAM if your OS is 32 bit. If your Windows is 64 bit, then max the RAM out.

Make sure your power supply is adequate, that *could* be the cause of the freezing.

SSDs greatly improve load times, if AOC is installed on it, but they're really not that cheap.

Honestly, you'll need all new parts if you want to get a new machine. Only thing you could save is the video card, which is fine as is. I use a 8400 GS at work Lol.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Banto View Post
    Bad part about the game is that it sadly almost only uses 1 core and very little on second which sadly makes GPU upgrades close to no effect at all.

Have had Ati 5870 , GTX 660ti & AMD 7950
    All have about same fps maybe max 5 fps in difference.

Running now i7 920 @ 3.6ghz with AMD 7950 which maxes alot of games with no problems.

I talked with a Guild mate today and he/she uses 2 GTX Titan Together but the thing that makes the PC run so good FPS for he/she is becaus of the cpu i think its over 5GHZ and since game is so limited to one core the game will see alot bigger FPS gain with a 4GHZ+ CPU compared to switching Graphic Cards.

I actualy think the bad use of only one core bottleknecks our GPUs or bottleknecks the Game Engine itself if we dont have realy Overclocked Cpus or PreOC Cpus 4ghz+.

I sure hope funcom could fix multicore like it said since release on the back but i dont realy have any hope for them fixing it i think its a to big task for their team to solve
    I disagree. I run a quad-core system with hyperthreading (so 4 real cores and 4 virtual cores) and I see all 8 cores being utilized well by Age of Conan. They could definitely do some optimization when it comes to 20+ players fighting within 50m of eachother, as that will definitely bog down the game due to bad coding (the problem seems partially tied to displaying name/guild/health/detail tags above players and NPC's and is brutally apparent when 50+ players and NPC's are on the same screen) however, CPU multi-core usage is looking good on my end.

I believe this game is slightly more CPU intensive than other large games. This means upgrading CPU + RAM (specifically, you will notice a huge boost from a system using DDR3 RAM) will do more for AOC than upgrading only the video card. To clarify, many games out there will get a massive boost from only upgrading the video card, but AOC is a little more CPU/RAM intensive as well as graphically intensive.
    Last edited by Scaevacas; 22nd October 2013 at 04:15.
    Requiem Nex Combat Monitor | Options not Saving temporary Fix
    Can Devs please fix:
    • new ressurections resetting the currently selected ressurect position
    • loot timeout windows disappearing before progress bar completes when box hasn't been opened quickly

That`s what i though. Im using this ram since 2007 year ,so it`s really old. And ddr2(totally 1300ms). One 2gb ram card is giving 2000-2500ms so far. Main problem is downloading graphic while fighting ,even if im going from for example Kara Korum to Northern grasslands it takes for me 5-7 min to download ,and usually many players that im playing with are clearing trash or just take a 15min brake until i appear in the right place... So i think 4gb ram might help alot.

That`s what i though. Im using this ram since 2007 year ,so it`s really old. And ddr2(totally 1300ms). One 2gb ram card is giving 2000-2500ms so far. Main problem is downloading graphic while fighting ,even if im going from for example Kara Korum to Northern grasslands it takes for me 5-7 min to download ,and usually many players that im playing with are clearing trash or just take a 15min brake until i appear in the right place... So i think 4gb ram might help alot.
    The speed means nothing on RAM, in your case anyway. DDR2 is older, but doesn't necessarily mean its slow. Slowest thing in your machine is more than likely your hard drive.

I think you probably have too much crap running on your computer and need a fresh reload of windows or a serious clean up.

I would download AOC Quickstart if you can find it. This forces AOC to utilize all your cpu cores.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Main problem is downloading graphic while fighting ,even if im going from for example Kara Korum to Northern grasslands it takes for me 5-7 min to download ,and usually many players that im playing with are clearing trash or just take a 15min brake until i appear in the right place... So i think 4gb ram might help alot.
    Well, the upgrade to 4GB of DDR2 might help a bit, but it won't move a mountain.
    First up: If you have 3GB now you either use 2 Modules, 1x1 GB + 1x2GB, which would cause the RAM not to run in Dual-Channel-Mode.
    This itself would mean a huge loss in speed, even if ddr2 itself nowadays already is kind of too slow already.
    The other reason may be that u use some 32Bit-OS like Windows XP or Win Vista/7 32 Bit Edition.
    In this case an upgrade to 4GB or more would have very limited effects, since 32 Bit OS can't handle more than about 3,25GB of RAM total.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead
    Make sure your power supply is adequate, that *could* be the cause of the freezing.
    Sounds rather like a thermal issue to me. Might want to download Hardwaremonitor from www.cpuid.com and check that your graphics card stays below 100°C (the old GTX260/275/280 Cards got that hot, depending on their design, while recent cards rather go for ~70°C) and your CPU below 60°C in temps.
    If your CPU/GPU run at significantly higher temps than those while playing, then thermal protection throttling could be the issue, because your system tries to save itself from overheating by significantly throttling clock speeds.

Other than that I think your machine is "slightly" outdated, upgrading it might or might not be worth the shot, changing RAM to 8GB DDR3, mainboard, CPU to some Core-I5 equivalent Quad-Core, graphics cards + adding a 120GB SSD would REALLY make a difference here - IF that is worth it for you.

Other than that I'll agree with ppl posting that GPU-Performance is not the biggest lever to pull for AoC. In encounters where there are lots of players like sieges i notice frame-rates to go down a bit or even a lot, all the while my GPU is shown to have pretty low workloads. Might be driver issues i guess (latest ones installed ofc)?
    Last edited by Maelkjar; 22nd October 2013 at 14:11.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

You are definitely low on memory. The freezes are caused by reading from HDD (which is very, very slow) since you don't have enough to keep everything AoC needs in RAM/VRAM. This problem is much larger in Khitai, as it uses higher-quality assets and the zones are much larger.

Given unlimited resources, AoC will stay at around 1-1.5gb memory, and as a rule will use a bit more VRAM. This is DX11 at max settings, 1920x1200.

From what I can tell, these are your bottlenecks
    1) Low RAM/VRAM
    2) Slow HDD
    3) CPU
    Operator irc.funcom.com:6667 #ageofconan #thesecretworld
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the world asunder
    Dysphoria - Murky Templar - Icoyce - Herald of the Black Kraken - Eriphyle - Shebearman

Mostly good advice here, but remember that harddrive should always be the last thing you upgrade. Given that the rest of the system keeps up AoC runs fine of an old 5400 rpm sata1 disk.

I use WD green discs for their power saving features, and it is no problem even when i am recording video to the disc.
    I am Stian ingame...

True. AoC on an SSD is so nice though. Loading NG in 5 seconds? Yep.

Operator irc.funcom.com:6667 #ageofconan #thesecretworld
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the world asunder
    Dysphoria - Murky Templar - Icoyce - Herald of the Black Kraken - Eriphyle - Shebearman

SSD? hum? :P
    And problem i think is solved ,i bought 4gb ram ddr3 + 2gb ram ddr3 ,seems like NG is downloading now in 1 minute ,not 5-7 like before That was lagging me as hell.

Buying SSD was the biggest improvement for me in AoC, no more annoying stuttering and long loading times. Shaulun was like slideshow before, now it works just great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast