Thread: Thinking of starting to play! Any tips?

Question Thinking of starting to play! Any tips?

Hey everyone! New player here!

So currently I don't ahve any MMORPG's to play, but I have played them generally all throughout my life, and now I finally want to give AoC a shot.
    Generally in MMORPG's I enjoy doing dungeons and raids, as it provides an outlet for cooperation and teamwork!

I'm making this thread mainly because I want to ask if you guys have any tips?
    Is it worth getting into the game? And should i subscribe? I generally prefer subscribing, but if the restrictions aren't horrible then I don't mind free2play either.
    What classes would you guys suggest for me? I LOVE being a healer (Chronomancer in Rift being my all time favourite), and I also very much enjoy rogue/fast melee based DPS classes (Ninja and Monk in FFXIV is a lot of fun!). But I also enjoy tanking, if the class isn't overly complex!
    Do you guys have any suggestions for those kinds of classes?

And finally; how is the combat compared to other games? I've noticed in a couple of gameplay videos that there are arrows on the hotbar, but I really don't know what they do.

Any tips and suggestions are very much appreciated! ♥

The gameplay itself is the best out there mmowise, the graphics still hold up for an mmo, tanking is awesome and very fun if you understand it, far more complex than other mmos. That's where the good ends, the game itself is a shell of what it used to be, with all but the most mindless of content (raid finder) and the highest tier of raiding being relevant anymore (population is scarce and most of it doesn't do anything that requires teamwork), no development outside of the odd new system - last genuinely new content added was 2015 (a raid), and before that, 2013 (a dungeon), and it's getting to be a more pay to win by the year.

I'd move along to another game if I were you, there's nothing good happening in this one.

But, if you do play it, try out a DPS class (barb, sin or hox I'd suggest) and learn the game with it, and roll a tank later if you want to tank - they use the same mechanics those classes do but aren't 'newcomer' friendly
    Last edited by Evito; 25th January 2017 at 20:22.
    EvitoQQ @ YouTube
    THE IVORY TOWER - QQ - Schlenkerla/Hersch

Quote Originally Posted by Evito View Post
    The gameplay itself is the best out there mmowise, the graphics still hold up for an mmo, tanking is awesome and very fun if you understand it, far more complex than other mmos. That's where the good ends, the game itself is a shell of what it used to be, with all but the most mindless of content (raid finder) and the highest tier of raiding being relevant anymore (population is scarce and most of it doesn't do anything that requires teamwork), no development outside of the odd new system - last genuinely new content added was 2015 (a raid), and before that, 2013 (a dungeon), and it's getting to be a more pay to win by the year.

I'd move along to another game if I were you, there's nothing good happening in this one.

But, if you do play it, try out a DPS class (barb, sin or hox I'd suggest) and learn the game with it, and roll a tank later if you want to tank - they use the same mechanics those classes do but aren't 'newcomer' friendly
    Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
    Not sure what other MMO's to try out, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt to at least give it a shot hehe
    General nuisance and annoyance to everyone arround him.
    Which means I'm a streamer.

Hey there, im a new player my self (been playing for 2 months now ) and I can say that give this MMO a chance. If you like the Conan world and story you wont regret it. The game its huge, has excelent quests with excelent story.
    I played newer MMOS like TESO ,and I can say that this game has nothing to envy from other games .
    Maybe its a bit old, yes ..maybe there is a bit of p2w ,i dont know ...the only thing I know is that im enyoing my experiences in this game and all the content that lies before me .
    I even played some pvp minigames with my squishy level 80 barbarian with 0 pvp equipment and i had a lot of fun .

So give it a try for yourself . The games its absolutly free from 1-80 .

As for class recomendations ?
    One of the best things of this game is the combat sistem and the fatalities animations ,so I would recommend to choose a melee class. If you like being a healer Bear Shaman sounds like a good option to you ...and Bear shamans are melees too so there you go . Healing + fatalities xD .

Oks, enjoy your game ! and sorry for my english, its not my first lenguage

Contrary to the nay sayers; No the game isn't dead yet. You'll find AoC is really unlike any other game you've played. The lore set's it apart, no matter if you know Conan from the movies or books (although the books are better as you'll see bits and pieces scattered thru-out) you'll enjoy it.

It is F2p; for now created accounts you're looking at 1 character slot and can't send tells to others unless you're friends with them. While long term play would be hampered by these and some other restrictions it'll let you join and try out some of the classes prior to spending money on either a sub or unlocking a few items to help you play F2p. The starter intro (solo) part can be finished in roughly 30 mins so deleting and trying other classes isn't a biggie.

It's a fun game and it's a complex game at times. Those arrows you asked about are the directions your hit's go. When you fight you'll see where the targets shields are (main defense) and swinging at the open unguarded spots are what you want to do. Also as you go up in levels you'll learn combo attacks that involves attacking in more than 1 direction (like 'right - up').

You'll have 2 choices of servers; Crom - PvE and Fury - PvP. Crom is the more populated one. It can be hard to find groups to do dungeons at times, but joining a guild early will help with that. Raiding is more of a end game thing with some guilds dedicated to it and other players just doing the 'lite' versions via the weekly raid finder feature.

It's fun, it's free and it's got a long download, so start it, go to bed and enjoy the next day.

Welcome to Hyboria.
    Last edited by Nebless; 26th January 2017 at 04:13.

My sincere advice to newcomers:

1. Do not pick up the key that Saddur drops. Go to the left and get it there.
    2. Do not pick "caster" classes (a demonologist, necromancer, ranger, priest of Mitra, or tempest of Set) only because other classes are very unique compared to other games.
    3. Do not subscribe: you do not need the bonuses.
    4. Sign up for minigames starting from level 6. Click the top-left button for that. Earn your PVP levels early on, if possible.
    5. Try to find "normal"/"purist" (read: approximately give or take 7 levels with you) groups for dungeons while levelling. The first dungeon is Black Castle, but you can enter many locations in the Epic mode.
    6. Bind every spell and ability to keys as you play.
    7. Do not kill World Bosses: this abomination of horror has somewhat killed raiding and challenge. (World Bosses tactics: stand, shoot with an arrow, eat your cake, sleep, pick up T2 gear).
    8. Do not use offline levels or experience/AA potions.
    9. Do not use Raid Finder at level 80 ever: this led to the ultimate demise of the game, but you can still avoid it and join normal raids. (Raid finder tactics: stand, shoot random enemies with arrows, eat a cake, drink tea, get T4 gear).
    10. First raids are available at level 74 with quests. You can start raiding at 74 in T1. There is nothing wrong with that if you play your class well (to do that, follow the 10 points above).

The most important two are 7 and 9.

As you are interested in dungeons, I suggest reading the relevant topic on the forum about levelling dungeons.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 26th January 2017 at 09:47.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

1. Do not pick up the key that Saddur drops. Go to the left and get it there.
    Can you please explain that point ? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldjan View Post
    There's a pict camp to the left. Picking up the key from Saddur and going through the gate without going to the left means you miss out on a couple bosses and a chest (maybe two). One boss always drops a bow and arrows which rangers would want, the other drops a .. knife? sword? (I forget what.) At launch, you needed to get the gate key off a pedestal after the 2nd boss; Funcom simplified this to let people skip it several years ago.

There is no point. It's just some people can't deal with world changing and are trying to spread outdated delusions.
    Just play a game, join a guild and make some friends, this is the best way to find and learn anything you gonna need.
    Drunk Templar Cimmerian

What it should say is 'don't forget to go to the left and do the pict camp / demon area'. Because of the map layout there it's easy to over look that part, I did it myself once after redoing Tortage after playing my main for years; just got the key and went through the gate. Picking up or not picking up the key has nothing to do with that area. Just don't forget to do it as there are some good weps and XP back there.