Thread: Returning player with questions

Default Returning player with questions

Hello,

I am a returning player, but you can consider me as a new player a I quit 2 months after release and I just came back.

I Have 2 questions that I need help with.

1) I started a HoX, in Tortage, I was destroying everything, life was easy, am also loving the class, but the thing is that as soon as I got out of Tortage and got into gateway Khitai, I could barely survive a fight with one or two mobs, I have to rest after each fight, is that normal for a HoX? And if so, does it get better at higher levels? As I do not like to have that much downtime, I don't want the OP class either, just don't want to be a weakling!

2) What is the trick to PvP? Seems like as a HoX, because of the fact that my skills take time to actually activate, people are just running and jumping around, hit me 1-2 times, then run and jump, and I fail to even hit them once. Is it just me or are the mechanics of AoC not favorable for melee classes in PvP (I am not criticzing, just asking)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi,

HoX is a pretty hard class to master and having to rest after downing a few mobs is normal. It takes experience, you need to learn how to time your skills correctly to quest along.

In pvp a HoX is very squishy, you need to take advantage of the ccs your class has to offer. At higher levels you have stuns, root and fear at your disposal. In pvp, usually the guy who first kicks, stuns, etc. has the best chance to win. Don't bother with using abilities that take a long time to activate. You won't live long enough for that.
    Last edited by Iomhair; 30th January 2014 at 16:07.

It's funny, I had the exact opposite experience as you when I started a Khitan hox in September, after leaving game a month or so after launch.

Tortage was brutal; while Batdemon went surprisingly easy, the horrible pulls (3-4+ mobs, many ranged) in the White Sands pict camp, as well as the cannibals and thieves around Askia caused me to die so many times it was embarassing... In fact, after playing TSW for a while and hearing new players bitch about how hard the game (especially Blue Mountain) is, Tortage seemed positively hellish.

In comparison I found Gateway to be extremely easy and quick - 20-40 probably went quicker than 1-20 for me, and there were barely any challenging mobs there (the end of the monkey camp might be the exception, some pretty big clusters there).

In general hox is a pretty solid solo hero in my experience, especially if you get blues, particularly sword. This: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...TU0NERXc#gid=0 is a good list of blue swords, and there are some other lvl 80 gear suggestions there too.

There are a few points in the game where it gets harder though, like the 70+ mobs in Kheshatta/Commons with lots of knockbacks and stuns or ranged damage.

Khitai was pretty easy for me, but then again I didn't really start doing quests/faction stuff until I was halfway in Khitai epics... Still a few mobs that are worth watching out for; stallions in Grasslands, Mantises in Kara Korum, kappa/ghostlights everywhere and most of all, Children of Jhil (birdmen - frequent 1700 crushing crits when you're in full critigation gear hurt!)

Great, thanks for the info guys, I will tough it up a little more, I think that for PvP I am gonna get better when I get some CCs, which I have none atm, I have one knowckback that never knocksback LOL!!

Uncreative, In Tortage, I was pulling 7-8 mobs at once, but I have to admit, I bought the set of newbie pirate armor from the store, that might have helped a little LOL!! Thanks for the weapons list btw!

That knockback you were referring to must be called "Slam". It is a beginner ability that loses its knockback function after level 6. It is really only usefull for Dark Templars to get crit procs. You should take it off your bar. Hellstrike, Pillar of Eternal Flame (sp?), Burn to Death and Molten Slash (I may be forgetting a few), are your main combos.
    Nohrin - Stygian Herald of Xolti
    Ubogin - Cimmerian Bear Shaman
    Noxamor - Aquilonian Barbarian

If you are interested in Age of Conan Livestreams, check out my Livestream or better yet follow my Livestream at www.twitch.tv/visoth

Quote Originally Posted by nbaidoun78 View Post
    Hello,

1) I have to rest after each fight, is that normal for a HoX? And if so, does it get better at higher levels?
    HoX can take three mobs two levels higher than he easily in Gateway. As you level up, HoX will only get better, and certainly not weak.
    The trick might be in the previous commenter's note and your gear (try to get more intelligence or magic damage accessories and intelligence (magic damage) or strength (combat rating) gear as you level up).
    Use desecrated essence, feat Hellfire breath, and use Burn to Death, Pillars I and II as soon as they are available. Also, do not forget to move while you fight. You have to position your enemy mostly in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by nbaidoun78 View Post
    2) What is the trick to PvP? Seems like as a HoX, because of the fact that my skills take time to actually activate, people are just running and jumping around, hit me 1-2 times, then run and jump, and I fail to even hit them once. Is it just me or are the mechanics of AoC not favorable for melee classes in PvP (I am not criticzing, just asking)?
    Melee classes currently are great at PVP minigames. With HoX, it is not hard to land 3-step combos on enemies, like Hellstrikes or Burn to Death. The only problem for me is my 250ms ping, so I often see people with good ping teleporting around me as I wave my sword into nothingness and my spells do not get activated. So I try to land my Pillars with good AoE instead when I see teleporting people.

Running and jumping is necessary to avoid hits or spells, also, you have to reposition yourself for either a longer combo or a longer spell. Moving is essential for all classes.
    The trick for HoX is getting as much armor and protection as possible: feat General for that first.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 31st January 2014 at 05:48.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.