Thread: Nice MMO Blog

Default Nice MMO Blog

Saw this today, even if you hate WOW, it's good reading about the struggles with leading a guild:

https://eightyearsinazeroth.blogspot...12/03/1-1.html

FYI, keep reading forward on his posts, there's a lot.

I probably shouldn't say anything...

Over the years the extreme dumbing down of games, especially mmos, has become something of a pet peeve of mine. Brain numbing, faceroll the keyboard gameplay where I have 0.00001% chance of dying, never need help of any kind or have to actually think and strategize and my hand is held as if I were five years old pisses me off no end. I can't play games like that, I feel brain cells dying when I try and almost the entire industry has gone to that model now and *still* people complain about it being too hard for them.

That said, as someone who cut their mmo teeth on EQ, playing it since launch and eventually heading one of the top raiding guilds on the server for 12 years, and no offense to the OP intended, after reading the first paragraph of The Gamble my reaction is that the author is a blithering, gibbering, drooling moron. While I've never played WoW based on what I hear it's no surprise that it was a good fit for him.

And that said, while I don't know what leading a raiding guild in WoW is like, if it's anything like EQ then anyone that beats their head against that brick wall and makes it work deserves some kind of props. I called it quits about two years ago myself.
    Last edited by Raeil; 2nd July 2016 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeil View Post
    I probably shouldn't say anything...

Over the years the extreme dumbing down of games, especially mmos, has become something of a pet peeve of mine. Brain numbing, faceroll the keyboard gameplay where I have 0.00001% chance of dying, never need help of any kind or have to actually think and strategize and my hand is held as if I were five years old pisses me off no end. I can't play games like that, I feel brain cells dying when I try and almost the entire industry has gone to that model now and *still* people complain about it being too hard for them.

That said, as someone who cut their mmo teeth on EQ, playing it since launch and eventually heading one of the top raiding guilds on the server for 12 years, and no offense to the OP intended, after reading the first paragraph of The Gamble my reaction is that the author is a blithering, gibbering, drooling moron. While I've never played WoW based on what I hear it's no surprise that it was a good fit for him.

And that said, while I don't know what leading a raiding guild in WoW is like, if it's anything like EQ then anyone that beats their head against that brick wall and makes it work deserves some kind of props. I called it quits about two years ago myself.
    WoW isn't terrible. I still play occasionally. Is it as hard as the original EQ? By no means. But I actually find it to be more difficult at higher end raiding than AoC. More class synergy, more meaningful class abilities that enhance not only your character but the entire raid(best example is Blood Lust, which gives the entire raid 20% haste, or a 20% increase in attack speed, global cooldown reduction and casting speed).

There is a huge difference in Wow between leveling difficulty and high end raids, which require skill and functionnal brain.

Im saying because I found that over the years, many aoc players tend to think that wow players are crap.
    Respect, love and facerolling

Quote Originally Posted by Raeil View Post
    Over the years the extreme dumbing down of games, especially mmos, has become something of a pet peeve of mine.
    I hope this changes soon. We had an island of hope, Age of Conan, until Joel (and new leaders or game directors after that) decided to turn into a mess.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.