Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Invitation etiquette

Too many times these pop-ups happen when I'm in the middle of a combat or something where the obscured view causes a problem. I immediately click "No" just to be rid of the window.

I did join one guild early on when I was having a problem getting to that silly mirror in Tesso. It was before I knew one could dive and could not for the life of me figure out how to click on the mirror to grab it. So, someone gave me a hand, told me about diving and asked if I wanted to join his guild. Not through a pop-up, but via the chat window. That is a far better way of doing it than slapping a dialog right in the middle of the screen during, what may be, a crucial moment in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    Too many times these pop-ups happen when I'm in the middle of a combat or something where the obscured view causes a problem. I immediately click "No" just to be rid of the window.

I did join one guild early on when I was having a problem getting to that silly mirror in Tesso. It was before I knew one could dive and could not for the life of me figure out how to click on the mirror to grab it. So, someone gave me a hand, told me about diving and asked if I wanted to join his guild. Not through a pop-up, but via the chat window. That is a far better way of doing it than slapping a dialog right in the middle of the screen during, what may be, a crucial moment in the game.
    I think the issue here is more with middle-of-screen pop-up Yes/No prompts, than just with guild invite spamming. Same thing is when group invite pops an blocks center of your screen obstructing the view in mid-fight. Guild invites can be turned off completely in settings, or you can create your own 1-man guild - that costs nothing and prevents spam invites (but requires to spend few minutes choosing "leadership type" and such), but unless you play 100% solo (why do that in MMORPG ?) you don't want to turn off group invites completely. One solution is to move the prompts for invites from center of screen to "Chat window" area (either as window on top of it or as actual text inside).

Quote Originally Posted by Dimchik View Post
    I think the issue here is more with middle-of-screen pop-up Yes/No prompts, than just with guild invite spamming. Same thing is when group invite pops an blocks center of your screen obstructing the view in mid-fight. Guild invites can be turned off completely in settings, or you can create your own 1-man guild - that costs nothing and prevents spam invites (but requires to spend few minutes choosing "leadership type" and such), but unless you play 100% solo (why do that in MMORPG ?) you don't want to turn off group invites completely. One solution is to move the prompts for invites from center of screen to "Chat window" area (either as window on top of it or as actual text inside).
    Creating your own guild also requires that you are level 20, which means you get pestered by ninja invites through most of Tortage.

Another problem is when you find a safe spot and start typing in chat, a window pops-up, and you fall of a cliff or run into an elite boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimchik View Post
    Yes, it is the pop-up. And, yes, I do play 100% solo. At least, insofar as the only teaming I will do are the exceedingly rare times when I can get a group of my friends together to go off on an adventure or two, so, yes, I do want to turn off group invites completely.

My online time in the game is spotty. At any moment, I might get called away and have to log-out. So, in order to not screw up someone's gaming by teaming up and then, perhaps 15 minutes later, having to log-off, leaving that person in a potentially iffy situation, I just do not team up in-game, unless it is a planned event with my friends and a set time can be put aside for it.

The moving of the window I can try, but that is a half-measure at best. The window still pops up and must still be responded to in order to remove it. It's an annoyance.

I have two reasons for ninja group invites

1. to skip some waiting on annoyingly rare boss, say noob runs close I invite so both get kill even if afk when spawn
    2. go to 1

Why ninja is because noobs are unpredictable with one exception, when they see any boss it is charge time baby.

Quote Originally Posted by ckirmser View Post
    Yes, it is the pop-up. And, yes, I do play 100% solo. At least, insofar as the only teaming I will do are the exceedingly rare times when I can get a group of my friends together to go off on an adventure or two, so, yes, I do want to turn off group invites completely.

My online time in the game is spotty. At any moment, I might get called away and have to log-out. So, in order to not screw up someone's gaming by teaming up and then, perhaps 15 minutes later, having to log-off, leaving that person in a potentially iffy situation, I just do not team up in-game, unless it is a planned event with my friends and a set time can be put aside for it.

The moving of the window I can try, but that is a half-measure at best. The window still pops up and must still be responded to in order to remove it. It's an annoyance.
    interface option -> advanced -> privacy -> "Block team invites"
    ;-)
    Hungry Bear.
    Chamacappa - Happyshamie - Sekmheth - Oyako - Nexoxcho - and an other dozen of cripples !

Quote Originally Posted by Cappa View Post
    interface option -> advanced -> privacy -> "Block team invites"
    ;-)
    Wahl, Ah'll jes' hafta check dat owt...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12