Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could a Funcom single player Conan game be possible?

Default Could a Funcom single player Conan game be possible?

Since FC are now running with the strategy of releasing "smaller" games, the first of which seems to be "The Park", do you think it possible that they may take on a single player (or COOP or other non MMO-type) Conan game?

They still hold the license, right?

While The Park seems to be a horror adventure game and the TSW setting lends itself well to this, a Conan game would I guess have to have plenty of action and fighting to draw interest - could this maybe be a hindrance? Or do you think FC will stick with TSW spinoffs just because it's their own IP?

What would you like to see in a new Conan non-MMO game?

i want funcom to sell conan so mmo conan gets some development and not those other nabkiddy games funcom keeps spewing out with aoc customer money.
    there is already a conan mod for skyrim that should fit your single player needs along with skyrim itself and its awesome mods.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Quote Originally Posted by Verner View Post
    Since FC are now running with the strategy of releasing "smaller" games, the first of which seems to be "The Park", do you think it possible that they may take on a single player (or COOP or other non MMO-type) Conan game?

While The Park seems to be a horror adventure game and the TSW setting lends itself well to this, a Conan game would I guess have to have plenty of action and fighting to draw interest - could this maybe be a hindrance? Or do you think FC will stick with TSW spinoffs just because it's their own IP?

What would you like to see in a new Conan non-MMO game?
    No need for a Conan single player game - Age of Barbarian exists already!

But on a more serious note, I doubt they would work on a Conan single player game, given that it's not their own IP.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Isn't the existing game basically a single player game with some multiplayer aspects?

Isn't it already?

I've been playing AoC exclusively as single-player for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Verner View Post

Yes, and no.

IP Licenses are very tricky things, take for example the Lord of the Rings license, it isn't one overall umbrella license, it consists of multiple licenses covering a multitude of different media types, for example on the gaming side of things; WB holds the license for single player games, however Turbine (yes I know Turbine are owned by WB but for license purposes they're separate entities) hold the license for LotRO MMO's, and Games Workshop have the license to make LotR board games. They're three different licenses and for each of them to create a game from the others license they would have to have an agreement between themselves.

So you would have many licenses; online games, offline games, table top games, books, comic, film, television, and so forth.

It may be hat FC only have the license for Conan based online gaming, which would not allow them to produce a single player version of AoC.

However where The Park is concerned it's parent IP is The Secret World, and FC own every single license and right to that product because it is their own creation, so they can do what they like with it.

Most companies would rather work within licenses they currently own rather than seek extra licenses for short term one off projects, it's cheaper and there's less ambiguity and hassle in the contracts.
    Ashareth: Assassin (80) - Tsong: Ranger (80) - Ashoreth: Dark Templar (80) - Belidos: Conqueror (80)
    Ashorath: Guardian (52) - Asharoth: Priest of Mitra (80) - Asheera: Tempest of Set (80)
    Asharath: Bear Shaman (5) - Asharatep: Demonologist (80)

Btw, The Park releases today on Steam, I hope you've all done your part to keep FC running, I certainly have and I can't wait to finally play it
    Ashareth: Assassin (80) - Tsong: Ranger (80) - Ashoreth: Dark Templar (80) - Belidos: Conqueror (80)
    Ashorath: Guardian (52) - Asharoth: Priest of Mitra (80) - Asheera: Tempest of Set (80)
    Asharath: Bear Shaman (5) - Asharatep: Demonologist (80)

http://aochideout.blogspot.com/2014/...oel-bylos.html

JOEL BYLOS:

8/ If we were to day dream about content based on a particular REH Conan story, what would it be?

Let me tell you a story. When the expansion was wrapping up in 2010, I wrote a proposal for a series of single player adventures based in the world of REH. They were essentially reproductions of the Howard adventures in the Age of Conan engine, and you could buy them stand alone, or tied to the MMO itself.
    You played Conan through these adventures, targeted to 3-4hrs long and at the end of each, you received a code which could be redeemed in Age of Conan for an item based on these legendary adventures.
    Alas, the team was moved to Montreal, we went through another round of layoffs and I was moved to The Secret World. But I still have the design document I wrote for the first of these adventures, and it was Pool of the Black One.
    Why? Because we have the assets for that island, we have the Black Ones, we have the pirate assets and because making it as a prototype for the concept would have been extremely cheap.
    Those reasons really haven’t changed, so if I was to start building adventures based directly on the REH stories, Pool of the Black One would likely be where I would start.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cf...ret-World.html
    he company, as Joel told me, is focused now on leveraging its existing core IPs (AO, AoC, and TSW) and building upon them both in their original MMO forms and with new games that are entirely different experiences… like The Park. If The Park is a hit with fans and critics, expect to see more games spinning off of The Secret World, Robert E. Howard’s world, and even good ol’ Anarchy Online.
    So yeah, it seems like we might see AOC standalone game if The Park makes it big.
    Retired

More info here:

https://twitter.com/Slith_hideout/st...16170725593088

everyone can draw their own conclusions.

Mine is: its happening
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    http://aochideout.blogspot.com/2014/...oel-bylos.htmlSo yeah, it seems like we might see AOC standalone game if The Park makes it big.
    Interesting! Completely forgot about that part of the interview. So, Bylos did with TSW what he wanted to do with AoC. Let's hope his idea succeeds.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast