Thread: Magic Damage VS Combat Rating

Default Magic Damage VS Combat Rating

Hi all,

Since our BtD dot is finally* fixed with the intelligence scaling issue, a whole new set of item are usable to our hoxes (and allies). I'm now wondering if there is any way to check when it is better to invest on pure intelligence item or on an item with a mix of Magic damage/CR. the intelligence item are generally going higher in term of raw magic damage but the other item gives some CR which means DPS. Is there any formula to check what amount of CR is better than 1 magic damage ? Thanks.

*: or nearly finally, cause it seems that the CR(fire) is not affecting it at all.

This dot does magical damage, there's no reason for Combat Rating (physical damage) to affect it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

hox specific items are always better! they have higher stat budget to accommodate his hybrid nature (since khitai)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    This dot does magical damage, there's no reason for Combat Rating (physical damage) to affect it.
    There is a thread here claiming and proving that generic combat rating contrary to CombatRating (Fire) does indeed increase BtD-dotdamage.

You should then provide the link.
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephturi View Post
    You should then provide the link.
    Even google found this:

A question

I was out of the house until one hour ago, and I'm busy salvaging a 10 years old Greyhawk dungeon, so I had no time nor will to find something you could find easily.

To get back to the question asked: the link provided above states that for a 261 CR upgrade (7.25 DPS), BtD does 3 more damages per tick. The basic formulas (as far as I remember, my days of theory-crafting and testing are long gone) are:

1 Strength = 3 Combat Rating
    36 Combat Rating = 1 DPS
    1 Intelligence = 0.6 Magic Damage.