Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yeah, I See The Issue With Jumping

Quote Originally Posted by Feadara View Post
    Ah that's where you are from, realism. Really? People do start something like that about a MMO? In real life if someone hits me with a blade I don't loose HP, I loose an arm or leg...so please, don't go there. Seriously.

Jumping is a necessary feature in an open world game, otherwise every little stick or rock on the ground would block your path (like in older RPGs, where you are bound to the ground and can't even cross the tiniest walls), let's talk about immersion here. In AoC jumping is a fundamental substructure of how toons move and how the world is build. There are many places you can not reach without jumping.

I don't get the whole "What other people do is annoying me"-thing anyway (from a RP perspective). I don't play to be other peoples decoration in a rp-environment, I play to have fun. And I don't espect other people to be a decoration for my experience. On a pve-server they can do nothing to harm me or ruin my game, and getting mad about what they do or how they move....god, if I would let that influnece my mood I would be a very depressed person. And I can't help but think about what a pedantic and small-minded person someone must be in real life if he complains about what other people do in a game (again, not talking about fighting situations).
    You make it seem as if people want to forbid jumping. I have not seen anyone ever post this on these and the old forums. There is a HUGE grey area between this mess we have now and exploiting jumping (up to influencing the netcode) and no jumping at all.
    Giving some stamina cost to jumping makes sense, because it would add more skill and tactics into the movement overall. The values can even (and probably should) vary between out of combat and in combat. It would be a lot of progress if the 360° jump with full speed range would be stopped as well as combojumping. These are hard game effects, not just "annoyances".
    If people jump over obstacles or manage to "dodge" attacks, still fine to some extend. But nothing in your arguments speak against giving jumping some drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    But nothing in your arguments speak against giving jumping some drawback.
    Well, that's because I was not arguing against it, but talking about a very specific point regarding jumping. The OP got the whole talking about jumping on the forums wrong and complained about people just jumping around in Khemi, that jumping around is in his opinion not fitting for this world of Conan, and that it breaks his (and others who are feeling the same) immersion. The discussion about jumping in combat, specifically pvp and all stuff related to that, and that jumping comes at no costs, is a whole different topic, and I was in no way touching this topics. Don't twist my words.

So lets remove jump all together. No more jumping anywhere, at anytime. Ever again. My immersion is at stake here.

The inability to tag players or NPC's with a symbol appears above them i.e. everyone follow this person marked with the triangle, or group 2 attack this NPC marked with the circle symbol, means that we have to resort to primitive things like jumping near something.

Much of this can be reduced with voice comms, but many players have now formed a habit of jumping continuously, especially in the early days when there was a slight stamina benefit to do so while sprinting.
    Requiem Nex Combat Monitor | Options not Saving temporary Fix
    Can Devs please fix:
    • new ressurections resetting the currently selected ressurect position
    • loot timeout windows disappearing before progress bar completes when box hasn't been opened quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    What you seem to forget is that there's plenty of people are playing just for the fun, the challenge, or because they want a good MMO, and doesn't give a damn about the RP, the seriousness, or "how it looks like in the books or movies".

Do I think it looks silly ? Yeah, does it break immersion ? Maybe a bit, but I saw that so many times in so many games I don't care anymore. But do I hold grudge against people who do or do I think it's a problem ? Hell no, I understand that people play for different reason, and that they don't care about that kind of concern, and it's their right to do so. The same way sometime people would like to name their character "Vader-Roxxxor_84" if they could, even if it doesn't fit the game at all and even if it sounds ridiculous to me.
    My original post merely said that I understand the issue, now. I've read plenty of threads complaining about it, but had never really noticed it much, until the display in Khemi.

Personally, incongruous names don't bother me. I only see a name if I hover over a character or when they appear in the chat window - which I pretty much ignore, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darm View Post
    Haha, have you ever heard of the story where the pot calls the kettle black?
    Yeah. But, in the one I know, the kettle is able to discern between an observation and a complaint.

Ah that's where you are from, realism. Really? People do start something like that about a MMO? In real life if someone hits me with a blade I don't loose HP, I loose an arm or leg...so please, don't go there. Seriously.

Jumping is a necessary feature in an open world game, otherwise every little stick or rock on the ground would block your path (like in older RPGs, where you are bound to the ground and can't even cross the tiniest walls), let's talk about immersion here. In AoC jumping is a fundamental substructure of how toons move and how the world is build. There are many places you can not reach without jumping.
    How do you get necessary jumping out of gratuitous jumping? Those three hopped up rabbits in Khemi weren't blocked by any environment problems.

Do you not think that some degree of realism is necessary in an MMO? Otherwise, we could all just play Zork and put an awful lot of animators out of work and bankrupt the makers of software like 3DS Max.

The level of realism in AoC is 95% of the reason I play there rather than some anime flip with disproportionate weapons and garish, ridiculous armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    Giving some stamina cost to jumping makes sense, because it would add more skill and tactics into the movement overall. The values can even (and probably should) vary between out of combat and in combat. It would be a lot of progress if the 360° jump with full speed range would be stopped as well as combojumping. These are hard game effects, not just "annoyances".
    If people jump over obstacles or manage to "dodge" attacks, still fine to some extend. But nothing in your arguments speak against giving jumping some drawback.
    Agreed.

I think a stamina cost for jumping would be an excellent addition, if for nothing else than to increase realism.

Well, that's because I was not arguing against it, but talking about a very specific point regarding jumping. The OP got the whole talking about jumping on the forums wrong and complained about people just jumping around in Khemi, that jumping around is in his opinion not fitting for this world of Conan, and that it breaks his (and others who are feeling the same) immersion. The discussion about jumping in combat, specifically pvp and all stuff related to that, and that jumping comes at no costs, is a whole different topic, and I was in no way touching this topics. Don't twist my words.
    Observation, not complaint.

I'm not demanding that jumping is stopped, just commenting that it looks ridiculous - just as MANY others have said.
    Last edited by Anzu; 9th July 2015 at 16:09.

There's an Edit button, please learn to use it.
    Short cuts make long delays.

Edit by Anzu: You were warned.
    Last edited by Anzu; 9th July 2015 at 18:02.

This was not intended and you are right that adding stamina or energy cost would not stop that trolljumping in pve zones. Probably only a true "ignore" (e.g. making the ignored people actually invisible and uncollideable) could help there.

This thread is senseless. At first I thought it was about combo-jumping, but obviously it's not. The OP want's no jumping, or jumping at a high cost. Firstly:

1. You can't access certain areas without jumping, much less using a mount to jump.
    2. Jumping is necessary in PvP for mobility and access to lower/higher ground
    3. 33% of the achievements in AoC would be inaccessible without jumping.
    4. Your character would get hung up on every piece of scenery. You can only use /stuck so often.
    5. Certain dungeons would be impossible to complete, since they require jumping for puzzles for completion
    6. You limit the mobility of your character without the use of jump

Now...here is something the OP doesn't realize:

1. When you jump when sprinting it seems to actually use more of your resource. I can run a little farther without jumping, and if I jump while sprinting my resource wears out a little faster for a shorter distance gained. This seemed to be true to me, so there is a slight penalty to jumping while in sprint.
    2. When jumping, you cannot change direction while in the air. That means it is easier to predict where you will land, giving an advantage to your opponent in PvP. It is much more effective just to circle strafe without jumping and cut angles to confuse them than put a homing beacon on yourself and let them know where you will land by jumping aimlessly.
    3. Misjudging high jumps means you take fall damage and get a terrible snare or die, while that's on the player end about missing the jump, other players can take advantage of that in PvP, which is an advantage.
    4. Jumping is a choice. If you feel that it somehow ruins your immersion just choose not to do it...

As far as other people doing it:

1. It's an intended game mechanic, you can make a case against it on the forums or in game but expect people to do the same. Since it's intended, you have to disprove it's use and explain optional ways to clear content without it or a way to adjust it. Good Luck on that, that's a few essay papers.
    2. While you can choose not to do it, as an intended mechanic, everyone has the privilege of using it until is deemed unintended, changed, and patched. You have the privilege to complain about it, but every player gets to do it until Funcom says we can't, which means they change the fundamental movement system in the game. It does not qualify as a breach of EULA rules, so while you claim it ruins your immersion and experience, that's a matter of perspective. At this time, players are free to do that, and use the jumping mechanic any way they want, despite your misgivings.

As far as the OP:

1. They have done nothing but use emotional argument to try and carry their case. There is not a RP server anymore, enforcement of immersion rules by way of citing Server rule-set is no longer a back door to draconian banning and harassment. If you want to change the nature of the jump mechanic, go to Test Live, start a topic, and get some fact together. See if you can sway players to your opinion, and ask Funcom for a change. My guess you won't get many votes, but there is a way to get things done without just saying "it ruins my game" just on personal taste, which most do not share with you.

Please close the topic, it belongs on Test Live at best.
    Doomsayer 2008

ITT: RolePlay problems.

^_^
    Live Twitch Stream - Fury PvP - US East Coast Prime Time - Rated MA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast