Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funcom working on leveraging Directx 12?

Default Funcom working on leveraging Directx 12?

With Directx 12 coming with Windows 10 later this year, and early tests showing a lot of real potential for performance improvements, I would hope the Dev team is working to update the Dreamworld engine to take advantage of Directx 12.

Even now, 7 years after launch, AoC is too demanding for most average off-the-shelf PC's to run smoothly, cutting out a lot of potential subscribers.

I can see some clear advantages to the bottom line here if you guys get on the bandwagon:

1) Coding the engine for Directx 12 should yield substantial fps improvements, meaning also that more 'average' PC's can play the game reasonably well - translating into more ppl who try it and don't quit due to poor fps.

2) Being able to say, when Windows 10 arrives, that Age of Conan (and TSW) is ready to take advantage of it and deliver improved performance is a huge *marketing* tool to draw in ppl.

Now, what I suspect will happen is, they will wait for Windows 10 and Directx 12 and just watch how things develop, and then possibly decide to start the process of updating the Dreamworld engine and maybe deliver it late next year(if not later). While this is better than doing nothing, Funcom completely loses the opportunity to get in front of the curve where the big benefits are in terms of pulling in new subscribers, letting everyone know they are staying up-to-date with technology advances in this area. Since the engine is used for both AoC and TSW of course, the benefits are equally broad.

Anyway, my 2 bits on the matter.

Would love to see this as well but considering they didnt have coders for DX11 I dont see them having any now either

Still looks a far sight better then a lot of mmos out there but it does need a bit of a kick & your reasons are a good example.

Fingers crossed!

Was hoping for something in the way of engine improvements considering Bylos' new mystery project and the long, long delayed AO graphical update, but I'm not too optimistic.

I would just like to see them rebuild every playfield with the dreamworld engine so they all match. Strange how you wander through the game with the graphics looking really... dated, and then get to dragon's spine and be blown away by the graphics.
    Or total optimization. That would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyxx View Post
    Would love to see this as well but considering they didnt have coders for DX11 I dont see them having any now either
    Well, I don't think DX11 really added all that much, certainly not in performance while it looks like DX12 is clearly pushing to make a big show in performance - much like AMD's mantle.

ALso note that the amount of work needed to utilize DX10 was great in large part due to the fact that they were going after more visual 'bling' that DX10 enabled. This meant that changes had to be added and worked over in how things displayed and looked on-screen - a lot of work. In the case of DX12, while it may also include goodies to enhance the visual aspect, AoC would at this point gain the most from sheer performance improvements and that recoding is far less labor-intensive. It might simply take rerouting a 1/2 dozen calls to DX12 where the interface then will use, for example, all cores to push draws to the GPU, rather than a single stream, and get an nice kick in over all performance.

Early article evaluating some of DirectX 12's performance improvements:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/18...dx11-benchmark

If they never bothered to take advantage (fully) of multicore CPU and multiple Graphic cards like SLI or Crossfire, I doubt that they will update the game engine for DX12.

Well AoC is still in some half asset broken beta DX10 (thanks so called engine upgrade) while TSW is 11, i doubt they even think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naberu
    "Is she blood-related? If not, j-j-jam it in! If so, meh...j-j-jam it in anyways!"

Quote Originally Posted by Roddam View Post
    If they never bothered to take advantage (fully) of multicore CPU and multiple Graphic cards like SLI or Crossfire, I doubt that they will update the game engine for DX12.
    This. Game doesn't need dx12, it needs to be able to utilize multiple CPU cores. 90% of the performance issues in AoC are CPU related because it is single threaded and doesn't use to the new CPU functions. If the game wasn't so CPU bound it would probably be able to use a lot more graphical power too, right now even on a beast of a CPU it tends to hover around 80-90% GPU usage (and it drops to 20-30% in raids or sieges because of how CPU intensive those events are).
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kalston View Post
    This. Game doesn't need dx12, it needs to be able to utilize multiple CPU cores. 90% of the performance issues in AoC are CPU related because it is single threaded and doesn't use to the new CPU functions. If the game wasn't so CPU bound it would probably be able to use a lot more graphical power too, right now even on a beast of a CPU it tends to hover around 80-90% GPU usage (and it drops to 20-30% in raids or sieges because of how CPU intensive those events are).
    That makes me wonder. About the Aoc Quickstart tool. Does it even improve performance to tick off all cpu core boxes? Or does Aoc just work as usual on 1 core?
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast