Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offline Levels

Quote Originally Posted by Korando-AoC View Post
    They should definitely remove those restrinctions.
    I have 150+ unspent offline levels.
    I would like having more 80s, but I don't want spend my time to get through Tortage and to level 30 again.
    And probably many are in a similar situation..
    I agree.

I have 2 accounts, but 1 account only has 3 80's on it. Unfortunately, my main toon is on this account.

I want to get the achievements for having all classes to level 80 (which my other account does have that achievement), and have most of the offline levels to do this, just can't be bothered to level 9 more toons to level 30 just to pop them to 80.

At least drop the requirement to level 20 to make it less painful, or even lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibik View Post
    Well i still know players doing crap villas or worst, suggesting to do villas, to fill xp gaps between two areas. Or still some areas lacks of fun quests or a filled by Fedex 2008 ones. I'd rather take few offlines levels to skip to the next areas than getting bored @leveling.
    That recent restriction sucks really, i don't even know the reason behind that late update.
    While I agree with your "some area are less fun" point, it is more a problem for when you already have a ton of rerolls and have level a new one all over again. It's less a problem when it's your first character and everything is new. Honestly, it's way better than at launch. New old world areas and Turan filled a lot the level gap. I recently leveled a new reroll for the sake of the new achievements thing. Being a subber, thus having access to a least some kind of double XP potion (Asura Blessing, Double XP claimable pot, whatever), I didn't really had much of the "xp gaps" problem. Many areas are actually overlapping a bit (Thunder River with end of Eiglo Mountains, also with Ymir's pass, Turan with other level 50 zones, and so on).

Then again I wanted to have a lots of achievement I agree that you have to do every quest and grind your way a bit for the target of interest, but yeah, if it was my first character, I'm not sure I would have find it annoying. However, it DO slows down a lot between 70 and 80, but that is not covered by the restriction.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Well i still know players doing crap villas or worst, suggesting to do villas, to fill xp gaps between two areas. Or still some areas lacks of fun quests or a filled by Fedex 2008 ones. I'd rather take few offlines levels to skip to the next areas than getting bored @leveling.
    That recent restriction sucks really, i don't even know the reason behind that late update.
    These days there are no xp gaps between areas until after you have reached level 70. Levelling from 70 to 80 can be slow and a bit of a grind, but up through level 70 is fairly quick and easy.

Myself I only find between levels 72 and 77 to be slow and grindy. Once you are 77, you can go to Northern Grasslands and T1's.

As far as using offline levels to make it easier to do destiny quests, I don't see it. Sure you may have a new spell or combo, but in general the mobs difficulty increases to match your level, and your gear is often not yet upgraded.

Offline levels have decreased the amount of levelling groups, PVP queues, and overall player patience, especially when restrictions were not in effect. Not only that: crafters started having problems selling their gear. People stopped worrying about gearing up too, even on PVP servers (less group action and crafting). I remember having big problems with level-50-79 groups and PVP at these levels. Nowadays (and before the achievement system was in effect(!)), getting PVE groups has been much easier. I really welcome the level-70 change, but, honestly, I would rather have offline levels removed completely or restricted to Premium players but made available only in the item shop. I hope Funcom never makes offline gold, offline PVP levels, or offline tier gear. I have accumulated 433 offline unused levels, two free unused 50s, and I have no idea what developers were thinking! Basically, I can level two free 50s and six 30s to 80 instantly(?!?)

There has been no level gap nor any "grinding" moments while levelling. Only yesterday, at 78, I did some NG quests, did two T1 runs, and a quest or two elsewhere, and I got from 78.8 to 79.5... With experience potions it is even faster, which is crazy.
    Fastest levelling always happens in levelling dungeons with purist groups or at Iron Tower, Crows' Nest, Caravan Hideout, Scroptions' Cave, Atzel's Fortress, Flame, Vortex, etc. at 75+. The choice where to go is immense, and skipping the levels is a weird idea. You can spend the time to accumulate gold, climb the faction ranks, doing achievements, gather prerequiste quests for T3 or T2, etc.

The levelling achievements is a vanity optional achievement to work for, even if you already have 20+ characters.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 26th March 2015 at 04:55.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikT View Post
    These days there are no xp gaps between areas until after you have reached level 70. Levelling from 70 to 80 can be slow and a bit of a grind, but up through level 70 is fairly quick and easy.
    But there's still areas you want to skip. Offline levels are an optionnal feature, if you don't like using them, don't use them. But wanting to put restriction on loosely reasons is just wrong. Anyone should be free to use them if they want to. Simple as that.
    I laugh when people said there's no xp gap and still go to NG or T1 with level 77 chars.

The thing is that some mechanisms (even sometime not gameplay-related) are quickly understood if you play the game, but you might miss them with offline level. Travelers, Asura Wayfarer linking, that kind of thing. Also, many smaller things like Skill point to distribute, Combo rank that doesn't update automatically with offline level, and so on. I mean, even myself, when I boost a character for a few level after level 70, I sometime forget to update manually the eventual new combo rank like a dumbass for a while before realizing. I can't help but think a new player with absolutely no knowledge of the game would encounter some problem at some point. It seems natural for us because we know the game pretty well now, but that's not something innate.

I laugh when people said there's no xp gap and still go to NG or T1 with level 77 chars.
    Until 70, which is the level set for the restriction, I fail to see where. You say it youself : There might be zone you want to avoid (as a player who already know them, probably), but that's not a XP gap. We speak about a first character which have everything to discover.

If a player look back after reaching 70 and says "Well, that playfield wasn't that fun (Let's say Atzels Approach or whatever)", next time he can just limit himself to Thunder River, with some offline level to fill the gap and call it a day. That's a perfectly fine thing on my book. I think setting restriction only for the first character (and that's the restriction I'm discussion : The level 70 required to spent point on other reroll, not the level 30 one) isn't what I would call a lousy reason. You might think otherwise and that's fine, though, but that's another story.

You want player to be free to spend their point when they want even on their first character, and that's perfectly valid point of view, but I can also see why the devs though forcing player to actually play though the area at least once might be a good idea.
    -
    Fun fact : Not actually the same guy as the player named "Jaedelyia" in-game. Never though I would one day encounter a guy with the same nickname as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    but I can also see why the devs though forcing player to actually play though the area at least once might be a good idea.
    Forcing people to do stuff is never a good mechanism. Meaning the content is not enough good/appealing to be done on your own. There's plenty of reasons w/o the xp gap one that would push you to use a couple offline levels even on your first char (like, eh, having the same level as your gaming partner, everyone knows how its hard to level a char in duo or in group while keeping the same xp progression). I'm not a great user of offlines levels but i do understand the needing of them from times to times.

Lasts quests of FoTd are awful (Honored deads lol), or Ymir pass is designed to waste your time in long & boring travels from A to B and from B to A. Even if technically thoses areas are good enough for xp, they are far from the category of "content you might not miss for your overall game experience". Tbh its more the contrary. Not all the leveling areas are good to discover. And honestly, leveling in AoC is far from the best leveling in mmos and people still agreed on the lack of quality and polishing after Tortage. Even as a first timer, after the joy of discovering, Connal's Valley or Eiglophian Mountains can be very boring after a short time due to the lack of story (and unfinished ones) and the feeling you're just farming endlessly Vanirs or Hyperboreans en masses even if the quest or NPC changes. Ofc, post-2009 leveling areas like Gateway of Kithaï and Coast of Ardashir are way better and we really feel they had more time to improve the quality of thoses leveling areas than 2008 ones where you can basically put a marker on rushed (easy-to-create) quests

And please, don't tell me you're better when doing all the leveling without offline. Like it's a guarantee of leetskill and experience ? I've heard of stories of people doing tortage combos to and after 80 or even people not using a single combo but still having experienced the whole leveling process from 1 to 80 without skipping content. It's more a personnal issue than mechanism issue. If the player is noob enough to avoid the mechanisms, the skillbook and such things, he can take 1 week or 3 month to level his char to 80, result will be the same. While offline leveling not updating skills ranks is more a technical issue, (one of the many things never fixed anyway), getting them automatically with "normal" leveling don't make you a better player. It's like raidgear tied to the class, you can't be wrong at gearing when game gives you only one way to.
    Last edited by Bibik; 26th March 2015 at 12:45.
    Your Storm Field critically healed Officer of the Wolves for 7038.

(like, eh, having the same level as your gaming partner, everyone knows how its hard to level a char in duo or in group while keeping the same xp progression)
    Now that's a very good point I hadn't though before. That's a good reason, that's true.

For the rest, you're deforming my statements, exagerating them in a strawman way or deforming the reason why this restriction exist. I never said you will be necessarily better because you played through everything and than you will be a leetz0r, but I certainly said than by skipping ALL the levels of your first character, you might not know about certain elements of the game and end up without a clue on certain common knowledge things, like "Why are people speaking about different ranks of Pillars of Infernal Flames ?" or "Why can't I climb this rope when other people can ?"

In addition, I don't think devs introduced this limit to FORCE people to earn each and every single XP point because zone aren't "appealing" enough, but I think this restriction is there just to avoid the few people abusing the system, going 1 to 80 on their first character. Unfortunately, like many limit, this threshold is arbitrary and will "punish" some people that wanted to use the system reasonably. That's a side effect, not the reason behind the idea.
    Last edited by Jaedelyia; 26th March 2015 at 13:37.
    -

People can answer thoses questions by themselves. Of course I dont expect everyone having strong curiosity/willing to learn in video games but most of thoses answer can be avoided or hardly understood when playing the leveling part fully.
    And btw you can't gain insta 80 as a first char. You need to be level 30 to use offline levels, and new accounts need to be ran in premium state for a while before you get 50 free offline to use. Here, we have a weird situation where as a new account you have maybe a 1-10 offlines levels and still can't use them before 70. It's called restriction without reason. There's no way to abuse the system even if this theory amuse me a bit considering they sell insta80 with gear in the shop, or WoW doing free 90 to the latest expansion. There's also MMo vets who don't give a damn about leveling and are aimed only about endgame content, should we force them also to play fully the mediocre-at-best leveling of AoC ? One of the reason why Wildstar failed is Carbine studio marketed the game as a epic/hardcore endgame while leveling was crap... but needed content to access endgame.
    In 2015 standarts, thoses kind of thing don't work, or you need to have a very polished and quality-made leveling content (almost as the quality of solo rpgs with choices, voiced NPCs, quests with strong storys and excellent immersion = TSW or SWTOR, however thoses are made by paying the price of a poor endgame), i want to say to new players, "enjoy the leveling in AoC, it's the best content here", only if all the leveling content was made equally as Tortage. And we all know Tortage is not the rule, but the exception.
    Last edited by Bibik; 26th March 2015 at 14:03.
    Your Storm Field critically healed Officer of the Wolves for 7038.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast