Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so complicated ~

Quote Originally Posted by Reinauer View Post
    And then have to "apply" for a raid over T2 .. huh-rumph!
    Not sure what you mean by "apply". I don't recall applying for a raid, ever, people just send a tell if they want to join and that's the end of it.

As for the question of gear, AoC is one of the few MMO that allows you to do a lot with very little in terms of character raw development, providing you're good and knowledgeable enough when it comes to game/encounter mehcanics.
    {Circle of Eternity}
    Mellaus
    Lachdanann dt | Aldebarrand guard | Ataraxes demo | Tangorogrim tos | Aranruth barb | Demether pom | Errant ranger | Diluvien sin | Hekatomb necro | Haemmer bs | Nyarlathotep tos

Quote Originally Posted by Reinauer View Post
    I joined AoC for its lack of number-crunching and its dynamic combat system. I'm the kind of person who understands progression but doesn't feel the need to (for lack of a better descrip) reference a spread-sheet to see if I'm suitable for T3 or above. And then have to "apply" for a raid over T2 .. huh-rumph!

Over the last few years; all of this talk of needing "protection" gear vs. other gear (DPS, etc) has become a sore subj with me. Why shouldn't someone in T2 gear be able to move on to T3 with no problem and so on and so forth? Why does a player need to roll over to Khitia and do 6-mans or align with a faction to get gear to get into T4? Why not make the T3 gear suitable to roll into T4 and so on ... ?

I think this is a good example why focusing on gear progression only as designer is not the best way. Even in AoC you had feat choices and spec offers that worked till 2011 or so. You could influence your tanking and survival options by changing build and stats choice. Now soldier prot+ feats only work on "special" kind of prot from gear, the attribute and natural prots are not counted in even, when it comes to +% prot feats. Sure, you can now have AA addons for prot, but funcom "adjusted" the mobs as well, so this is kind of prerequisite to have, not a choice players can make.

The ideal way out of this would be to give more valid choices back to the players to allow chars from lower tier who specialize in certain survival (or dps or healing, depending on role) to be on par with at least the "average" specced char with proper gear on the next tier.

(actually this is another example of how better it is to explain such things on pen and paper (a few graphs and illustrations) than on a forum but i hope you will get what i mean)
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 26th February 2015 at 08:54.

600 rares and still waiting to get oneshotted in t4 because i can't get better gear!
    Boyscout bearshaman

I find all the various responses interesting but here is my advice to any player coming into the game as new.

When Funcom released the Khitai zones, they were ushering in the future of this game. When I was in Furious, we quickly learned that Khitai made T1, T2 and most of T3 gear obsolete. Khitai blues are better than T1 and T2 gear and Khitai purples far exceed T3 armor. At this stage of the game the only thing T3 is really good for is accessories and weapons, unless you want to take the time to grind the various factions and get the Khitai Purple weapons and accessories.

So I encourage all new players once they hit 80, go straight to Khitai, research which factions you need to join and start grinding those factions. Once you've got your proper AA's and quite a bit of Khitai blues, either get your guild to run you through the 6 man dungeons that have your gear or start joining pug groups (but make sure they know your new and don't know the fight.) Once you've got all your Khitai purples, your ready for T4.

Only do T1, T2 and T3 lowers for achievements and fighting boredom, they really don't serve any purpose other than that.

Some of you may disagree with me on this but then again, if you do, then your probably part of a low end raiding guild that struggles in T4 and can't do T5. Any player in a top raiding guild who is currently clearing T5 content weekly would probably tend to agree with the advice I've just given.

As far as learning how to play your toon. When you do join groups (dungeon or raids) download a parse program and start running a parse. You should be checking your damage output/healing output (for healers) and comparing how your doing to the other players of your same class. If your getting your ass kicked, then ask that other player why they are kicking your ass. Does your build suck? Does your rotation suck? Are you still using tortage combos on your tank? Are you feated wrong? Using the wrong AA's? Most players will help you out with builds and rotations and such. There are a few dicks out there but just ignore them. You should always be looking to better your toon.

The only other advice I would give you is join a guild. There are a lot of guilds out there but you need to join one that will fit your play style. Are you a Pvper? Then join a PvP guild. Are you an end game raider? Then join a guild that is currently in T5 and killing stuff there. Are you a casual player and just like socializing? Then join one of the many minor league guilds that are out there. Various guilds will have players who are very helpful and willing to help others. Most tend to have websites where you can get information on how to spec and play your character.

Quote Originally Posted by blodgett View Post
    So I encourage all new players once they hit 80, go straight to Khitai, research which factions you need to join and start grinding those factions. Once you've got your proper AA's and quite a bit of Khitai blues, either get your guild to run you through the 6 man dungeons that have your gear or start joining pug groups (but make sure they know your new and don't know the fight.) Once you've got all your Khitai purples, your ready for T4.

Only do T1, T2 and T3 lowers for achievements and fighting boredom, they really don't serve any purpose other than that.
    Errr no, this is horrible advice. T1 and T2 are great for new players to learn and familiarise themselves with raiding in AoC. Especially T1 and T2, there is little individual responsibility in these fights so its a great opportunity to get a feel for what raiding looks like and is about if you have no prior experience. Purpling yourself up in khitai does not make you ready for T4 raiding. Going from grinding the same 6 man instances over and over again to complex fights like zodiac is a huge step change.

Gear is one requirement for raiding but equally important , and I would argue personally more important, is understanding your class and game mechanics. T1 and T2 are a fantastic way for new players to do this without having to stress and worry about doing the wrong thing as the fights are relatively simple.

I would strongly advise all new players not to skip the lower tiers of raiding.

Oh gods.

Quote Originally Posted by blodgett View Post
    Some of you may disagree with me on this but then again, if you do, then your probably part of a low end raiding guild that struggles in T4 and can't do T5. Any player in a top raiding guild who is currently clearing T5 content weekly would probably tend to agree with the advice I've just given.
    I disagree, and we're doing quite fine in T4 and T5, thank you. My only Khitai pieces ever were the rings (one faction, one milestone), the necklace and the mage dagger (both Tigers). I was in the top part of the parses with 3 minor T3 pieces and the rest in T2 last year, when I came back to the game and was invited to T4 (and I can't thank the Cavaliers enough for giving such a welcome to a total stranger.)

What the Khitai gear will give you is one of these (roughly):

- more DPS
    - more protection/health
    - more hate reduction
    - more crits

And you'll lose all the others. On the other hand, raid gear isn't on the top position on all these points, but is well balanced. So your choice is to get several sets of gear, costing money and time, and switch when needed, or get your raid gear and only a couple of pieces to better manage aggro/dps.

Of course, it's easier as a dps or a healer. Tanks are another topic entirely. But I mostly play as a necro and BS nowadays, and while I nearly have a full set of T4 gear, I'm still topping parses with T2 wrists, and playing with my 8 Hyrkanian horses.

Get the stuff you're the most comfortable with, or the one that you can easily obtain. This whole T3 vs Khitai isn't worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angellis
    Off-topic: I would pay a lifetime sub if FC changed the name of Strike to Guard to the "Oh sh*t" combo! The tooltip could read: "The guardian realises they are now in over their head, and, having soiled themselves, are less likely to receive attention from their target."

Quote Originally Posted by Riamis View Post
    Lol

I do T4 with T1/T2 set
    You mean you get carried through a T4 raid with your T1/2 gear? Of course it depends a little bit on the class you play but you're not tanking there. There are exceptions such as where someone who knows how to play a dps class will do better in lower gear than someone who doesn't know it in better gear but all things being equal you'd offer the raid more with better gear. Poorer gear can sometimes be an indication the toon is a new one and as such it's AA's will often be less well developed which also weakens the toon.

Generally, in reply to the OP it's good to have gear requirements for doing some levels of this game otherwise you could jump in, make a toon and two weeks later be doing the highest tiers in the game. It would be too easy then.

Quote Originally Posted by CueQue View Post
    The only problem i see is that khitai gear can't progress through t4 because there is no prot gear!

With the current LL gear you get below 20%, no critt, no dps, nothing. Compared to both LL, both melee and prot, then to t3.. It's a huge difference
    If u are talking about the LL prot set you defenitly go over 35-40% if u use prot rings, cloak, neck, shield. Even more if specc is tanky. When I started doing T4 aggroswitching was key, cause many of our tanks was in your situation, so dont complain about aggro or dps, your tanks have to adapt, thats part of the game
    Moriala - The Ivory Tower

[Youtube Channel]

Quote Originally Posted by magnum92 View Post
    If u are talking about the LL prot set you defenitly go over 35-40% if u use prot rings, cloak, neck, shield. Even more if specc is tanky. When I started doing T4 aggroswitching was key, cause many of our tanks was in your situation, so dont complain about aggro or dps, your tanks have to adapt, thats part of the game
    They should boost up the LL protection set though, as well as increasing the hit rating on T3 gear to make it a bit more viable in T4.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    They should boost up the LL protection set though, as well as increasing the hit rating on T3 gear to make it a bit more viable in T4.
    They should not. Both are good sets. Full T3 is enough to get a decent hit rating. Dragonspine gear adds much more if you are looking never to miss a target.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast