Thread: Renown grinding?

Default Renown grinding?

I have been Googling and searching the forum and can't really find any helpful information, so figured I'd come to the source.

I have a small guild and would like to know the best way to grind renown. I don't expect we'll ever get to level 20, but 2 or 3 should be doable, if we know what to focus on.

Is crafting still viable? Is there easy-ish content we can run as a group? We aren't raiders, just social/RP, so I'm hoping for something not overly complex. I don't mind monotonous grinding, I just have no idea what to do!

The guides for this game are woefully lacking, either from 2008 or nonexistant. It makes it really hard for a new/returning player to figure out where to go. So, here's hoping!

If you have gold to burn, the easiest form of farming endless amounts of renown are gem transformations (see here for details). Another good source of renown through crafting used to be making level 80 blue cloth armor - Fine Steelsilk Hoods and the like - it gave lots of renown in a short time and the ingredients were fairly cheap (mostly ironsilk) - but that's not really something you can scale up indefinitely as you'll end up raising the price of ironsilk in the market sooner or later.

Apart from that, plenty of in-game activities actually end up generating a decent amount of renown if you apply yourself and spend a decent amount of time doing them (and aren't too inefficient about it). Back in 2010 when renown was introduced, we found doing old-world 6-player group dungeons (with lots of trashmobs; e.g. Atzel's Fortress, Iron Tower, Imirian Ravine, etc. etc.) to be a good source of renown; even doing solo Khitai faction quests generates plenty of renown if you do lots of it.
    Last edited by cynara; 20th February 2015 at 15:38.

When you are an alchemist or gemcutter, do not forget to give your "sets" to the army in Old Tarantia (north of mitra temple) for extra renown (apart that for crafting). Works for some item creations too, but you have to find extra recipes there it seems and it usually does not pay off for smithing.

Bori is quite good too with a pure 6man guild group digging in peace.
    Fass
    Professional northmen slayer of saga
    {Circle of Eternity}

Quote Originally Posted by Fass View Post
    Bori is quite good too with a pure 6man guild group digging in peace.
    This advice strikes me as a bit hypocritical, considering that our guild is full of people who will go out of their way to NOT let them dig in peace...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with renown being buggy, you will have renown cap issues until Funcom fixes renown. This problem plagues every guild that is not capped at lvl 20.

There are ways around it, such as dropping out of guild and reinviting resets your renown back to 0, but Funcom really needs to fix the root cause, it's been broke for about a year and a half now.

Thank you for all the replies everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with renown being buggy, you will have renown cap issues until Funcom fixes renown. This problem plagues every guild that is not capped at lvl 20.

There are ways around it, such as dropping out of guild and reinviting resets your renown back to 0, but Funcom really needs to fix the root cause, it's been broke for about a year and a half now.
    And thanks for this. Sadly, at this point I am used to bugs in MMOs and having to do things to get around them, but yikes... a year and a half is a long time.

Am I understanding you right that it's the player renown cap that gets bugged, not the guild one? So characters have to quit the guild and rejoin whenever they hit their renown cap, but the guild progresses with the updates as it's supposed to?

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post

Are you sure that's how it works ? I thought i remembered the renown cap only stopped counting for the rankings but that you could still earn guild renowon increasing your guild renowon levels all the same. Not to mention there use to be some things that didn't count as player renowon but only as guild renowon (thus not showing in rankings but still working to level up your guild). I remember something with guild decoration, you would build some random cheap decoration, deleat them and rebuild them again. for something like 10 gold and one hour ou could ear several million guild renowon points
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tyja View Post
    I have been Googling and searching the forum and can't really find any helpful information, so figured I'd come to the source.

I have a small guild and would like to know the best way to grind renown. I don't expect we'll ever get to level 20, but 2 or 3 should be doable, if we know what to focus on.

Is crafting still viable? Is there easy-ish content we can run as a group? We aren't raiders, just social/RP, so I'm hoping for something not overly complex. I don't mind monotonous grinding, I just have no idea what to do!

The guides for this game are woefully lacking, either from 2008 or nonexistant. It makes it really hard for a new/returning player to figure out where to go. So, here's hoping!
    Renown 2 or 3 should be easy just by playing the game and enjoying yourselves. If you're still building your city, each building upgrade and decoration will be a good boost as well. You might want to try some of the tricks suggested here to speed things up when you realize that some of the higher renown levels are getting closer to completion, but otherwise a small guild should be able to reach into the teens in reasonable time.

I inherited my guild from launch late in 2008 when I became the only one of my group still playing AoC. I continued building the guild city to see how far I could go. When renown was added, I only had the last two tier 3 buildings and walls to go, along with most decorations so most of my renown rank has come from questing and occasionally doing some of the tricks suggested here. Solo, I've taken my guild to rank 8 and am nearing rank 9. My two main toons are in a bigger, raiding guild, so it's mostly when I play alts that I get any guild renown.

Good luck.