Thread: Priest of Mitra or Tempest of Set?

Default Priest of Mitra or Tempest of Set?

As the title indicates, I am thinking about using my last open character slot on experimenting with a healing class for the first time. And since the Bear Shaman just does not appeal as much to me flair wise the choice is between the other two options. So, since I have to choose wisely it would be helpful to know the difference in how the two play out once I reach end game. Any input is welcome.

Potential topics to cover are:
    - Healing output
    - DPS output single target
    - DPS output AoE (supposedly ToS rules here)
    - Effective DPS/healing range
    - Ease of Play
    - Interaction between Healing and DPS (e.g. will healing rise the more DPS I do, or vica versa?)
    - Other interesting facets I forgot to think of

Healing output of all priest classes is very similar, with maybe pom having an insignificant edge. The utilities the classes offer are somewhat different with the ToS (and BS) offering a 100% miss chance debuff on enemy melee attacks while the pom has a powerful damage deflection/damage increase buff they can use on the tank. The tos can provide wrecks, ruins and torments for elemental damage, as well as a very good mana-tap buff, making them a mage's best friend, while a pom can provide wrecks, ruins and (with aa) torments for holy/unholy damage, which is especially useful for dark templars.

Both can deal very good damage while healing (most poms don't deal the damage they should, as people, even in aoc, are too caught up in the "nice guy priest healbot" archetype), but a tos will usually pull ahead even in single-target fights. That doesn't mean that a pom can't deal very good area damage in many fights as well however, while they have fewer AoE spells, spellweaving gives poms big increases to their splash range/damage.

Both will typically stand right behind melee in almost all fights in the game, chiefly because your biggest heals are pretty short-range cone casts, but also because storm field and storm crown (which almost all toses use) and cleansing fire and purification of mitra (which many poms use) require you to be close to the target. Both classes have feats that focus on increasing your range, but honestly, looking at any Entity parse will tell you that neither excels at doing damage from range.

I haven't played the PoM since their revamp so this may not be true anymore... but when I leveled each class they were both pretty much one button wonders for quite a while.

Aka as you're drudging through level 29 or so with whichever one you choose don't start thinking you made a mistake due to how the class plays. They're both like that at first. Does get a lot better at later levels.

I'd go for a male pom or a female tos .
    -Both pretty great , pom has way stronger burst compared to tos in pvp , given they're both naked . This gets semi-ballanced later on
    -Pom is "low risk , high reward" while Tos is "extreme risk , uncertain reward" in early pvp levels.
    -I solo healed kk runs on Pom during my 30th(?) hour of gameplay , im pretty sure that on tos this happened a lot later
    -Pom has small learning curve , you can roll with 2 specs and be efficient . Tos is harder to master , you need 4 specs or so for more utility.
    -Tos in my mind has the role of the STRATEGIST in any premade . Pom can be either a reacharger (aka healbot) or a coockie-cutter dps class , or even something in the middle , but always with a lot less tactical responsibility than the Tos . You dont just directly land your dps on Tos , you control the ground deciding where is the best place for your team to take the fight

Based on this book ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observa...ul_and_Sublime ) I believe that ' While Poms are Beautiful , Tos's are Sublime '
    Last edited by Audrey-; 19th February 2015 at 06:51.
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey- View Post
    I'd go for a male pom or a female tos .
    -Both pretty great , pom has way stronger burst compared to tos in pvp , given they're both naked . This gets semi-ballanced later on
    -Pom is "low risk , high reward" while Tos is "extreme risk , uncertain reward" in early pvp levels.
    -I solo healed kk runs on Pom during my 30th(?) hour of gameplay , im pretty sure that on tos this happened a lot later
    -Pom has small learning curve , you can roll with 2 specs and be efficient . Tos is harder to master , you need 4 specs or so for more utility.
    -Tos in my mind has the role of the STRATEGIST in any premade . Pom can be either a reacharger (aka healbot) or a coockie-cutter dps class , or even something in the middle , but always with a lot less tactical responsibility than the Tos . You dont just directly land your dps on Tos , you control the ground deciding where is the best place for your team to take the fight

Based on this book ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observa...ul_and_Sublime ) I believe that ' While Poms are Beautiful , Tos's are Sublime '
    Ha ha, yes, the Kant angle is certainly interesting (and quite proper at that!).

I main a ToS and enjoy it through and through. The only downside is the average squishiness, but it is paid for by high dps possibility and overall fun. This squishiness is perhaps mostly apparent in Khitai gear, whereas in T4 you've got a decent chunk of health to back you up. T1-3 has decent hp too, but obviously lower dps than Khitai gear. That said, above level 30 or so, solo pve is an easy job regardless of gear level, as a ToS.

Edit:
    From a ToS perspective:

- Healing output Good, and the AA Dark Idol heal is very powerful for burst healing as well
    - DPS output single target ToS has the clear edge
    - DPS output AoE (supposedly ToS rules here) ToS, no question about it
    - Effective DPS/healing range Heals are always more or less melee range (except green heal, of course). A PoM can't effectively heal and dps from range unless you want to run back and forth to the tanks. The ToS dps range because of Storm Field is slightly longer than that of a polearm user.
    - Ease of Play After level 30 or so, it is very easy as a ToS. In groups you don't have to worry with decent tanks, but the ToS generally excels at pulling an add or two from the average tank if you pop your pbaoes
    - Interaction between Healing and DPS (e.g. will healing rise the more DPS I do, or vica versa?) Yes, with proper spec your ToS will do damage upon blue heal casts, and there is clear synergy between doing DPS and healing.
    - Other interesting facets I forgot to think of ToS generally lives a bit more on the edge than your average PoM. If you want higher risk and higher reward (obviously subjective, but a nice ToS spellweave session going all out is just beautiful), I'd say go ToS.
    Last edited by Nevsky; 25th February 2015 at 13:40.
    With fond memories of Corinthia RP-PvP...