Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cthuhlu in Conan Lore?

Default Cthuhlu in Conan Lore?

I have heard, and don't ask me where, that Lovecraft's Cthuhlu was referred to somewhere in the original REH Conan stories...

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, what story(s)?

by the way, you can get a CG Model of Cthuhlu

http://www.daz3d.com/cthulhu-rising

tons of Lovecraft referneces in REH's Conan. At that time REH was friends with Lovecraft.

here is a nice reference for this subject:

http://kingsofthenight0.tripod.com/mythos.htm
    Retired

Absolutely a fascinating piece. I'm working on an image of Conan. I have a lot of work to do on it yet, but I was looking for a decent adversary for Conan for that image from the classic stories and Cthuhlu based...

http://wancow.deviantart.com/art/Conan-Test-441258760

I've not yet read a word of Lovecraft. Howard's work, however, is something I've read a few of.

The article you referenced tells me why I've never noticed Cthuhlu references since Howard, according to the article, never overtly connected them. Even so... thank you, it helps me out tremendously!

My first Lovecraft book was "The case of Charles Dexter Ward". Didn't know a thing about Lovecraft Universe and for that the effect was mindblowing.

By the way, very different from Hyborian themes in my opinion.

Last edited by nikepilas; 18th March 2014 at 22:33.

well, there is a quest in paikang to kill Dagon

yes, conan has been influenced by a great deal of Lovecraft and the Cthulhu cycle.
    In addition to the aforementioned quest of Dagon in general many of the arcane appearances in the world of Conan even if are defined demons (to simulate the ignorance of the time in which is set Hyboria) they are not real demons but extra-plannar creatures, Yag-Kosha or Xoltli.
    Sets elf is the only deity that actually walks physically on the world of Hyboria, it is dormant in an ancient pyramid in stigia and he is nothing more than one of the Old Ones who then will also be present in the cycle of Cthulu!!!
    Last edited by zujilin; 21st September 2014 at 11:49.

Lets not forget that REH also created for his Hyboria a legendary book just like a necronomicon: its the book of Skelos
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    Lets not forget that REH also created for his Hyboria a legendary book just like a necronomicon: its the book of Skelos
    In fact, one of the few complete copies of the book of skelos is guarded in a temple to the toad god tsathoggua who appeared in Lovecraft's "whisperers in the darkness".

Further, "the shining traphezdron" which I suspect we will encounter somewhere in Dragonspine was according to Lovecraft's "Haunter in the Dark" was gazed into by the serpent men of valusia(where Kull is originally from).

Has anyone played "call of ctuhlu - dark corners of the world " ? ^^
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Quote Originally Posted by Valicard View Post
    Further, "the shining traphezdron" which I suspect we will encounter somewhere in Dragonspine was according to Lovecraft's "Haunter in the Dark" was gazed into by the serpent men of valusia(where Kull is originally from).
    It is already in the game. Complete Coils of the Ubah Khan and you can go touch it

Oh, and in Sepulcher of the Wyrm you can pick up a shard from the Trapezohedron after killing The Custodian of Yoth (The damn thing is supposed to float above the Custodian but for some weird reason (FC bugs?) it's invisible. But watch The DS trailer or the promo screens and you can see it floating there).
    Last edited by AngryBarb; 21st September 2014 at 15:18.
    Barb: Thomaran
    Hox1: Mweru
    Dt: Haikuju
    Hox2: Shugorann
    Tos: Nephertites
    Sin: Leogetz
    Necro: Viggomortis
    and others...

"The sky is green. It is because I say it is. And because I said it on the internet."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast