Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New 80 PvP: The Frustration

Quote Originally Posted by Binderato View Post
    HAhaa People who are more skilled?? haha I almost laughed out all of my intestines and that chicken I ate....

Why don't you log on a pvp 1 barb or sin and ill be on a pvp9 barb or sin or dt and I'll guarantee you even if you are the most skilled player in the universe, you will still get your ass handed to you.

This game is almost all about gear and AAs.
    the only skill factor left in this game is the "knowledge and experience"
    Reaction time/situation awareness/timing/movements etc all can be over looked once you have gear/AA.

Get real the game is dead, and the biggest blow this game took was when it introduced khita/AA gear over skill.

Stop trying to twist things around so you can feel better about slaughtering new players with no gear and then tell them "L2P"
    don't make me laugh.
    Or let me get on my pvp 10 tos and get on any pvp 1-5 toon. I wont move. I will cast 3 spells over and over. You will die. I guess skill comes in in knowing which 3 buttons to press? Or when to press them?

And the fact a pvp 9 tos said gear doesn't matter, that class is one of the two most gear dependent classes in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    I have PvP 3 or less toons that I can still do well on in a mini. No, I won't be topping kills like I do on my demo but I can still play smart, assist my team, and not give away a bunch of death's.

Gear matters to a point, obviously you can't go into a mini with 5k hit points or less, but with some faction gear/weapons and certain blue gear you can do well enough. You just have to play with your team and attack with others conservatively, you can't just Rambo it out like you can with a high level toon.

You have to put some effort into making your toon, you can't just ding 80 and be instantly competitive, MMO's do not work that way.

Also, no there is not much skill left to AoC. It's more knowledge of classes and abilities and knowing where to be during the mini, and where not to be. Movement is not as important as it used to be, but certainly it does help.
    This is class and mini game makeup dependent. I play a pvp 2 ranger, and usually am on the top of kills in balanced to favored my way minis. The reason is its ranged, traps, and I can kite. Not that I am good or have any skill.

I would ask you, which class do you play on pvp 2 and do well with in balanced minis?

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleroy View Post
    This is class and mini game makeup dependent. I play a pvp 2 ranger, and usually am on the top of kills in balanced to favored my way minis. The reason is its ranged, traps, and I can kite. Not that I am good or have any skill.

I would ask you, which class do you play on pvp 2 and do well with in balanced minis?
    The reason is ranger is a retarded caster class=D

Quote Originally Posted by Crastos View Post
    I can understand the necessity of char progression in pve. It would be absurd to go T4 right after leaving Tortage.
    But pvp is not about slaying MOBs. It's about competing with other players who all want to have fun in the game.

So, because some vets had to go through this "self-torture" (OP) all new players have to, too?
    What would harm you as a "top skilled veteran AoC player" when new players could compete you at eye level? Do you fear to lose your supremacy?
    Did i write that i prefer playing my alts more then main? Yeah i did. So what supremacy you are talking about? Reading and understanding, reading and understandind....

As someone playing on a under developed character, you have to be quick on your feet and avoid sources of damages.
    So of course it's harder to do that with a soldier than it is with a ranger.

But frankly, i remember taking my lvl 0 t2 pve geared hox in a mini once, and even though i got raped, i ended with 15 kills and 20 deaths, and really felt that i was useful to my team, can't remember if we won the match though.
    And i'm not even a PvP'er, just some old PvE'er.

On a side note, i do recall Vouga taking his lvl 0 blue geared hox in PvP last year and farming the crap out of pretty much anything.
    Same with Chass recently on his baby conq, i don't think he tops kills, but he really contributes to his team and very often wins the matches he joins.
    So yea, skill and knowledge.

That being said, if the OP created that thread just to vent some frustration and is not interested in actual state of PvP, i don't see what the discussion is about.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleroy View Post

Well, you didn't say what gear do you have. You can be PvP2 and still have some good stuff and I'm pretty sure that you don't use pvp1&2 gear + "old" blue world drops.

It also depends on who is your opponent. There are people who just don't see or don't care when someone is nuking them from range, but there are also high PvP level toons (especially soldiers and assassins) who will chase bad geared/low pvp level chars for the entire duration of mini.

Though I can't imagine ANY bad geared char making more frags than decent good geared PvPer (unless under some special circumstances).

PvP in AOC needs a couple to things

1) Bolstering your stats (applies to mini games only.) Rift hit the nail on the head when they went through the exact same problem this game did with their horrible pvp system and stats. They bolstered new players to bring their mitigation level with vets, and upped their dmg a little bit. Once you hit say PvP 5 they bolstering stops and what gear you wear is your discretion.

2) On top of your pvp xp you get from a normal world kill, you should get a RANDOM reward based on the pvp level of the player you killed. IE You kill a PvP 6 once so you get your 150 pvpxp plus a 450 pvpxp jewel you can turn in for either prowess or PVPXP. Lets say you kill a pvp 10 for the first time you get 150 pvpxp plus a 1000 pvpxp jewel you can turn in for either prowess or pvpxp. To eliminate farming lets say once you hit pvp level 7 then the xp you give away from the jewel you actually lose. That way it actually means something in this game to be a pvp 10
    Anuhart
    Mysticblood
    Holyssmoke

Alienware Area 51 990x 4.30GHz
    Water-cooled Radeon R9 290X

Quote Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
    But hes right. If your are so frustrated, you obviously not skilled enough. Sure, gear is noticable. Especially for protection. But it is really NOTHING compared to nearly every other mmo out there. And getting pvp 5 doesnt take long. About a month. Fair timeperiod if you ask me.

Age of conan is over 5 years old. Of course new ppl will have some disadvantages. What do you think vets did all the time? You think you can ding level 80 and be on same gear level 5 years old vets are?

Sorry, but this thread is pure whining of someone who wants everything now and who cant accept that ppl are more skilled and therefore is looking for excuses.

Ps: mmos are all about charimprovement. You dont like that? Go play ego shooter or strategygames.
    The OP is just an example of quite a few people I've met - new people who got really frustrated with PvP once they hit level 80. Most of these people already had experience with getting farmed by vets at lower levels. But that didn't prepare them for the train which hit them at level 80, where the difference in experience was exacerbated by gear and AA differences.

You ask whether these people have a "moral" claim to be treated better. But that's the wrong question. The right question is: would it be easier to keep these people in the game if gear / AA made less of a difference? I strongly believe it would. And that's what counts.

I agree with you on one point though - I've seen some fantastically skilled players do very well in pvp even with crap gear and little to no AA. But for the majority of players, gear really makes a noticable difference.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

[QUaOTE=Rathothis;2053754]You ask whether these people have a "moral" claim to be treated better. But that's the wrong question. The right question is: would it be easier to keep these people in the game if gear / AA made less of a difference? I strongly believe it would. And that's what counts.
    [/QUOTE]

This is were i disagree. Gear difference in this case is used primarily as an excuse for loosing. Ppl like this will complain even if there would be any differences in gear. They will believe it to be true in such a case and still leave the game.

Shooter once didnt have char improvement and when they got it, they were still famous. Like battlefield. There are gear difference as well and they arent less then in AoC. Or at world of tanks/warplanes you have the same "problem" and they are very popular.

The failures aoc has so it isnt as popular as those game is obviously not the char improvement and the gear difference due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
    This is were i disagree. Gear difference in this case is used primarily as an excuse for loosing. Ppl like this will complain even if there would be any differences in gear. They will believe it to be true in such a case and still leave the game.

Shooter once didnt have char improvement and when they got it, they were still famous. Like battlefield. There are gear difference as well and they arent less then in AoC. Or at world of tanks/warplanes you have the same "problem" and they are very popular.

The failures aoc has so it isnt as popular as those game is obviously not the char improvement and the gear difference due to that.
    That's true without a doubt. And yet I've met quite a few people who left AoC due to the feeling that they couldn't do anything in level 80 pvp. While at the same time, many of these people enjoy stuff like World of Tanks.

Maybe the issue is not the gear / AA imbalance as such, but the fact that progressions is quite slow? I remember when I was playing WoW, getting the last seasons' gladiator gear was quite trivial - all you had to do was a couple of minigames to get the required tokens, which didn't take nearly as long as hitting pvp5 in AoC. With that gear, you could go on to do arenas etc.

But there could be other issues as well of course. In WoW, you could easily hide your lack of skill from others (but also from yourself) by doing massive PvP maps like Alterac Valley. Maybe one of the issues in AoC is that, nowadays, there is little zerg content where people can participate even though they aren't all that good.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast