Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: CPU upgrade time?

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    If TRIM is active on a SSD, it does not lose performance. I have seen benchmarkers writing hundreds of TB to a SSD and the performance still being the same.
    TRIM is very nice but the drive will still lose some performance as you fill it with data (I'm not talking about writing temporary data or such but about data that's kept on it). But yes SDDs performance does not degrade and if you format it you get 100% of your performance back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Also by doing as you suggest, you lose 90% of the capacity of the drive. So suddenly SSD is not that pricey after all.
    Nope, you can still use the rest of the drive, as long as it's not being accessed while playing. Perfect for keeping other games or data. My gaming HDD is like 90% full (but partitioned) and does not lose any performance. But it only contains games and I don't play several games at the same time though, then a SSD would be much better.

I have plenty of 5+ years old HDDs, if you buy the right models from the right brand and take care of them (no shocks, no overheating) HDDs are in my experience very reliable, which is to be expected from an old and mature technology. SSDs may turn out to be more reliable (they SHOULD) but so far they are plagued with firmware issues and the like and they have not been on the market for long enough to properly assess their reliability over time. But surveys have shown that as of yet they are not more reliable than HDDs overall (plenty of bad series and whatnot).
    Last edited by kalston; 22nd August 2013 at 13:15.
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

my HDD's were bought in 2007 I think Western Digital Caviat or something along those lines. Green edition. Black box, green writing (weird I still remember that haha). I was wrong though, I only have 2 hooked up. I forgot that one of the SATA ports on the MOBO went bad. I didn't have anything on the HDD except some music so I just un-hooked it and left it there LOL.

ok so my next question; Is it worth it to get an 1155 socket chip?

I was throwing together a wish list and selected this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115233
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147190
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131837
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231503

I would be pairing it up with my GTX560ti, Corsair 750TX PSU. I might actually go to the next size down on the SSD too....not sure how big I need to go.
    Last edited by Xenic; 22nd August 2013 at 15:04.

Well it would be a great upgrade, at some point you should replace your GPU too (although for AoC it will deliver great performance already with that kind of CPU). Totally worth it given what you have now.

As for the SSD depends on how much money you wanna put on it, bigger = faster (although even the 120gb version will be overkill speed-wise for 99% of people) so if you can go all the way up to 500gb well, no one will stop you You need about 40gb for the OS itself to be comfortable, all the rest is for your convenience (if you want to put games on it and whatever else).
    Expert Shield of the Risen opener.

That system would probably work fine. However I would consider the i5 4670K (Haswell). The i5 3570 (Ivy Bridge) is the previous generation CPU. If you get the "K" version of either, you can get around 20% extra performance by just changing some settings in bios.

500GB SSD would in my book go as nice to have but no necessity. I have a Intel 520 240GB in my computer, and mainly have Windows, Apps and AoC stored on it. Around 110-120GB free space. All my other stuff that demands storage space goes on one of my four 2TB drives.

Z77 vs Z87 is no huge upgrade. Main reasons to get Z87 is more Sata 3.0 ports on the motherboard controller and more USB 3.0 ports. Z77 has only two of each, and usually a secondary onboard Sata 3.0 controller that most people have negative experiences from.

Suggestion. Get a nice enough Z87 motherboard (check if your 8 pin power cable is long enough for the motherboard you selected. If not, buy an extension cable once you are shopping) and either the i5 4670K or i7 4770K. Get a SSD with less space, but with MLC cells. RAM, just get a good Corsair kit with 16GB or 32GB.

so you are suggesting an 1150 socket, not 1155?

I haven't kept up on this stuff. Last time I was up on everything, it was 775 sockets. lol.

Both should do nice enough, but 1150 was new this year. LGA 1155 is 2 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150

cool, thanks. Good chance I won't be buying anything until late this year early next, so I'll have to watch for new ones. I saw another socket too... 2011...... guess I should read up on it...

Are Anandtech and Tom's Hardware still considered reputable?

Yeah, good sites. 2011 is an enthusiast socket. Everything is more expensive and the only big improvement is quad memory channels compared to 1155/1150 has dual memory channels. Hardly noticable under normal use for a gamer.

If we speak about lifespans of hard drives, then it is worth mentioning that I have over forty computers running with hard drives from 2002 and 2005. Some of them are even a bit older.
    P.S. I do not understand why does one need more then 1TB of hard drive space. Even editing video and cueing music does not take so much.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 23rd August 2013 at 05:12.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    If we speak about lifespans of hard drives, then it is worth mentioning that I have over forty computers running with hard drives from 2002 and 2005. Some of them are even a bit older.
    P.S. I do not understand why does one need more then 1TB of hard drive space. Even editing video and cueing music does not take so much.
    I bought my 3 1TB drives when they were on sale and I was going to RAID them. It never happened though LOL

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast