Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel Bylos Interview 4/25/13

Quote Originally Posted by Invino View Post
    Non-progression PvP simply does not work in MMOs. Far too few are willing to fight for the sake of fighting.

Unless there are plans for some leader boards and a better scoring than kills, I would be more worried about all minigames being deserted.

Lest we forget that once upon a time, AoC did not have PvP progression and that was demanded and provided.
    this is false.
    my experience in pvp server in aquilonia showed me all you need is an enemy to have a reason to fight.
    players have asked for years for pvp systems, arenas, rankings.

all we got is pve pve pve and more pve.

motto nº1 red is dead.
    any player that is red to me is already a good enough reason to kill him or at least try.

motto nº2 you mess with my buddies you mess with me.
    if a guildie is atacked or a friend there is no better reason to go on a rampage to gank the crap out them straight to rez pad untill they log off or bring more

the only progression needed for pvp is personal skill.
    but it will be never ending the continuous class mechanics adjustments so no class gets too weak or too powerfull.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    I agree that unchained minigames is a good solution to some players (not to me, but I cannot argue with that). Reduce the PvP XP gain there by 50-80%: people who play there do not need PVP XP anyway, and others, who are interested in the MMORPG side of PVP, will obtain the skill through these training "unchained" grounds before entering normal minigames.
    Otherwise, the normal minigames will have problems running, and no newcomers will ever go there.
    Unchained minigames will be level 80 only, as far as I understand too. This is logical.

Add more PVP statistics to characters and split them in "unchained", "normal", "common", and "both (normal&unchained)" categories. Make them optionally visible. This will spur players into playing more. K/D, W/L, Bori hours, Flags delivered, etc.

T3.5 does not need to be changed in mechanics; but I have to agree with the loot table changes. Add a chance of dropping T4 items.

I would say that the new crafting system, if you are so decided upon that, should coexist with the old one. To prevent players from sharing their found recipes and ruining economy (that is, the combination and order of items), make the recipe sets individual for each account (not player).
    That's just it though, this change that they are making although will allow for players to sign up for regular minis, but no one will once this new option is introduced. Like you know how everyone cries about how they can't sign up to mini games with their friends? Well did you know that you actually can sign up to mini games with your friends via Tournament mode? But who signs up for that? No one =P It's essentially Funcom putting reigns yet again on the PVP system. But the company is known for not being capable of pleasing the masses, so they simply try and please the ones who make enough noise. I personally don't see what was wrong with them simply breaking the mini games into brackets of PVP 0-5 and PVP 6-10. Rather then forcing everyone into an entirely different setup whether they like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Invino View Post
    Non-progression PvP simply does not work in MMOs. Far too few are willing to fight for the sake of fighting.

Why did people fight in ancient times? In both historic iron age or mythical Hyboria wars were spread all over. Almost every ancient culture combined crops, religion and war in a seasonal schedule.

But I cannot imagine them chasing each other in closed spaces carrying coloured flags.

Pvp wars should be all around Hyboria, and battlekeeps and sieges something more common and available. Pvp progression and motivation would then become not just for an individual but for guilds or factions.

Pvp with less or no progression works just fine. Or is gw and gw2 not played bY many players? Even aoc had most players when there where no pvp progression and the numbers dropped down massivly as more and more progression in pvp was introduced. There is really no sign whatsoever why pvp without progression shouldnt work except some prejudices in the mind of some ppl.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsader View Post
    That's just it though, this change that they are making although will allow for players to sign up for regular minis, but no one will once this new option is introduced. Like you know how everyone cries about how they can't sign up to mini games with their friends? Well did you know that you actually can sign up to mini games with your friends via Tournament mode? But who signs up for that? No one =P It's essentially Funcom putting reigns yet again on the PVP system. But the company is known for not being capable of pleasing the masses, so they simply try and please the ones who make enough noise. I personally don't see what was wrong with them simply breaking the mini games into brackets of PVP 0-5 and PVP 6-10. Rather then forcing everyone into an entirely different setup whether they like it or not.
    Jeez, did Joel elaborate how Unchained PvP is going to work to you, in a cozy dark room with a glass of red wine in his hand? You don't know if there will be one minigame map with unchained mode, or if it will be three different modes for all the maps, tournament, normal and unchained. You, and the likes of you, are making a storm in a tea-kettle.
    Besides, all moba and strategy games make PvP all about skill, not gear. MMORPGs are starting to follow.

Personally I hope they just erase normal mode, make it unchained and tournament only. If you really deserve your gear, prove it and play against people that offer you a challenge by going team against team. Hopefully there are enough guilds on US and EU that would like to test themselves at the same hour of the day.

Lastly, stop talking on behalf of other people. Everyone does not cry about not being able to sign up with their friends. If most of the players play pug minigames, its because they prefer pug minigames.

Quote Originally Posted by nikepilas View Post
    Why did people fight in ancient times? ...
    Progression and Rewards Same reason there are wars on right now. Yank army is being trained in Iraq/Afgan/(insert oil rich unstable country) = Progression and they get Oil = Rewards.

Don't think of me as a loot whoring carebear who only goes to PvP for loot, not that I PvP in AoC anymore, since Bori really. Precisely due to gear grind I don't PvP. Not due to gear, due to Others wanting that gear and not actually fighting to fight.

But We are in the minority ... as Bori PvTreers proved over and over and over.
    Last edited by Invino; 26th April 2013 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by barbaricwildcat2 View Post
    In business, the more you know the better.
    I'm pretty sure knowledge about games they can't make money on won't get them anywhere. My nearest gamestop employee plays AoC, so I guess that makes up for it = )

If Unchained mode is something players can choose, then this will not work.
    The unbalance of the classes will make sure of that. Once someone feels gimped by equal gear, and start getting less kills and more deaths they will all stop signing for Unchained. No way in hell will any pvp'er choose a mini mode where he will be weaker than before. The only way Unhained would work is if the classes are as balanced as possible. I don't see that happening any time soon.

So the best solution would be to make all minis Unhained. Give players a choice and they will make the one that gives most reward. Bori is proof enough of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freke View Post
    No way in hell will any pvp'er choose a mini mode where he will be weaker than before. .
    I will, I know others that will.

Quote Originally Posted by Freke View Post
    If Unchained mode is something players can choose, then this will not work.
    The unbalance of the classes will make sure of that. Once someone feels gimped by equal gear, and start getting less kills and more deaths they will all stop signing for Unchained. No way in hell will any pvp'er choose a mini mode where he will be weaker than before. The only way Unhained would work is if the classes are as balanced as possible. I don't see that happening any time soon.

So the best solution would be to make all minis Unhained. Give players a choice and they will make the one that gives most reward. Bori is proof enough of that.
    You can always do what I plan to do and get on a Ranger without having to grind anything and in your first mini TTS someone for 4k. I can't wait.
    Doomsayer 2008

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast