Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please stop kicking us off mounts in Khitai

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    This always makes me laugh. Like the following?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the lizard mount is lore appropriate or even the wolves and tigers (though I actually did engage in a discussion with a Howard scholar regarding those) but there are things from the lore that we *could* add which people would find wildly inappropriate.
    Lore for me does not only mean "things exist"...but also availability and "commonness" of things. According to conan "lore" there is almost no limit to imagination (especially if you count in the comics and later books), but do these things really exist as mounts for the common hero?

There you as devs are responsible, since you can manipulate that "commonness" by ingame availability, price, power etc.. Even though lore might say a flying dragon is a really rare mount for some kushite riders in the far south, if you make it available by the shop and make it one of the most powerful and useful mounts in the game, you are responsible for changing a "really rare" mount into a "really common" one. Another example is the tiger...lorewise a unique locally bound and specially trained mount for a chosen few...does it feel like that when you visit the OT trader?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt2013 View Post
    ... Even though lore might say a flying dragon is a really rare mount for some kushite riders in the far south, if you make it available by the shop and make it one of the most powerful and useful mounts in the game, you are responsible for changing a "really rare" mount into a "really common" one. ...
    I agree with this completely. If they sparingly include special mounts with special abilities that are either automatically provided/taken away (or only usable) at certain points in raids or other dungeons it would add another dimension to the game without turning the open world into a high fantasy mess.

This always makes me laugh. Like the following?
    Oh, you mean those creatures that had very impressive and momentous appearances in the stories. They were common everyday mounts one would see in the marketplace of the great cities of the kingdoms through which Conan travelled, eh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the lizard mount is lore appropriate or even the wolves and tigers (though I actually did engage in a discussion with a Howard scholar regarding those) but there are things from the lore that we *could* add which people would find wildly inappropriate.
    You forgot this part:
    "There are creatures," said Pelias, "not alone of earth and sea, but of air and the far reaches of the skies as well, dwelling apart, unguessed of men. Yet to him who holds the Master-words and Signs and the Knowledge underlying all, they are not malignant nor inaccessible. Watch, and fear not."
    I guess we can all now hold the master-words and signs and the knowledge underlying all. All it takes is a few FUNCOM points and a browse through the item shop!
    Kentegern - Conqueror
    Seoc - Bear Shaman

Ziezin - Demonologist
    Thutkemi - Assassin

"Grammar is the difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

I actually think the tiger mounts should only be use able in khitai and nowhere else. These tigers jumping around all over OT is an eyesore and does seriously break immersion.

Tiger mounts in khitai make sense and add to immersion.

There were quite a few reasons.

- Because the mounts were stretching what I believed to be Conan canon, we agreed that people wouldn't accept them riding around in towns and cities (was supposed to be the same in the hub cities)
    - Because we didn't want people using the mounts to block the smaller doorways which we added in Khitai (when Godslayer was launched we introduced 0.5m pathfinding which was half the size of the previous and therefore smaller doorways).
    - Because we didn't want people surrounded by mounts in cities.

If enough people agree that we should remove it, we can, of course.
    For the reasons u just told, i agree with no mounts.

But u have no idea what is like to hear "well, if u guys want to, we can do it."

I felt a tear on my face....
    The sieges are complicated because it is a mess of code and systems and hacks that scares me to commit people too. I feel like it could be a development black hole - you throw resources at it forever and you never see anything for it.

I find it interesting that I'd never want to ride a mount in Tortage. Its intimacy is the best thing about it, and it simultaneously makes the idea of a mount awkward and also unnecessary.

Yes, it has fewer services to support than a Khitai town. But maybe then the problem is with the much-beloved "hub" concept of MMO zone design. Feature-"bloat" in hubs -> streets like parking lots -> kicking players off mounts to try to create immersion.
    Last edited by Prima; 8th March 2013 at 23:20.

If enough people agree that we should remove it, we can, of course.
    Now that's what we all like to hear.

Perhaps adding a poll feature in forum posts, so we the users, can create polls on issues exactly like this. That way it will be easy to see just how many are for and against each new suggestion.

if someone is looking into the mounts I'd rather have the camera skips fixed which occur when mounting/dismounting

Also I wonder why I almost do zero damage when I slash down with a sword, mounted combat should get a combo or something. Right now being mounted is a total disadvantage when engaged in combat

regarding lore and mounts. I think some mounts should be area restricted. My camel does not fit to ride around in Cimmeria very much, but fits well in Stygia.
    The Dragon mount I only want to see in desert areas and dragon spine.

Only horses should work everywhere.
    It can even be explained with some text popup "your mount does not like the current climate" )
    Last edited by Manilavanilla; 9th March 2013 at 01:58.

The old system where your mount is removed just like its removed when you enter water is better than this current forced knockback dismount.

Personally I would force a quick dismount animation on the player entering a city area and allow players to use mounts where they want to.

Anything is better that the current annoying system.

Wink

If ya want people to slow down and stay a while in hub cities, make some incentive.. like (ugh) WoW did.. but preferably something fun.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast