Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this game dead?

People are still here, gets a little quiet during and immediately after world-boss week. Since people who boycott world bosses don't play, then afterward, people who farm world bosses don't play.
    3 weeks out of the month are active.

Interesting responses... Seriously, I thought this would be a trolled thread, and it turned out to be one of the most honest responded to threads, "from the heart" threads, that the devs could actually use IMO.

Now if only the devs could read... (j/k)

If you like PvE and minis then you can go to Crom, which is well populated.

If you like open world PvP then the game is dead most of the time, I think it's time for Funcom to merge both PvP servers to see a boost in the PvP population now that some PvP updates are finally coming.

I play on Rage and if the game can be this fun pvp'ing with the same 20 people, I cannot imagine how fun it can be if we had more people.

Quote Originally Posted by abob123 View Post
    If you like PvE and minis then you can go to Crom, which is well populated.

If you like open world PvP then the game is dead most of the time, I think it's time for Funcom to merge both PvP servers to see a boost in the PvP population now that some PvP updates are finally coming.

I play on Rage and if the game can be this fun pvp'ing with the same 20 people, I cannot imagine how fun it can be if we had more people.
    I like the feel of pvp in AOC.

But Rage will not be popular unless they make some big pvp changes.

Until then, it will stay low population, AKA dead.
    Pvp in AOC is Awesome!

A lot of people I know are tying out ESO, but anytime you get a new game release AoC dies a little for 30 days or so and then we all come back. I think I lasted 2 months in GW2 until I got sick of it, 30 days for TOR, seeing as I love ES games I might make it 3-4 months, but I won't stop playing AoC, especially with pvp changes and rebalances on the horizon. You just can't find pvp that resembles AoC.

The thing that mostly gets at me is time, 80 hour work weeks give you little time to do much more than work and sleep, especially when you have to travel sometimes. Most of what little free time I can spend in AoC is trying to get world boss kills on 12 characters (which I do once per toon), and then log in to time train AA, and maybe I can get a mini or two every other day, until Sunday, which I get to play all day.

The only thing I still really do is talk on the forums, only because I can do that from work.
    Last edited by Suctum; 15th March 2014 at 08:26.
    Doomsayer 2008

It will be more and more quiet since they moved servers to US. Huge amount of eu players left, some of them like me play maybe once every 2 weeks to get frustrated about ping and have another 2 week break from aoc. at some point comes time where the only reasonable decision is to uninstall it.

There are other reasons for inability to group with people effectively (on account of shedding population fast).

1. People either do not log on or log on to kill only one boss during world-boss-event weeks for hours. Free-to-play players who have no access to the area try to form T1 raids only to end up with 15 people for 3 hours. They might leave the game after that.

2. People do not log on a week after the world boss because they know that a lot of men are still thinking that they can wait a bit and hunt world bosses again; or because there are no world bosses to kill.

3. There are a lot of spammers appearing from Fury on Crom, getting ignored fast for posting the same line twice, who are surprised about it, blaming the fact that they cannot get a group on low population.

4. Funcom started the policy to retain costumers by listening only to those who complain. Previously content and happy people are leaving silently, just as they were silent about enjoying something that became changed because of the querulous people.
    Some examples include the recent PVP changes (the problem with casters and melee and new gear) and changes in progression in both PVE and PVP (upcoming PVP XP changes, upcoming T1-T2 weapon vendor changes, insanely fast AA progression that separates levelling F2P from Premium even more, etc.)

5. Crafting groups do not run because of the world bosses too (you can earn a lot of cash by selling stuff or get geared up quickly even as a level 16). Also, Funcom should have not revealed any crafting redesign rumors: people craft less and less every 6 months.

6. Instead of fixing exploits, the exploits are developed into features (see Memory Cloud). People would rather do MC runs until they bleed rather than T3.5.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 25th March 2014 at 07:28.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Default PVP sucks epically because....

Quote Originally Posted by K4nnyc View Post
    PVE is still fun. But we need T5 and we needed it a year ago.

PVP is dead. They need to make big game changes to game systems and their cheat policy. Did a siege today and RU were teleporting from the rez pad to the siege tent to deploy their trebuchets. They still lost but teleporting.... really...

So to answer your question. Yes it's kinda dead.
    That is partly because it is tragically unbalanced. First of all, you have some classes that are way way under powered in pvp and no counter measures or counterbalances to adequately offset any such imbalances as one would expect. Secondly, you have alot of hard core long timer pvp players practically dominating the pvp games since they have level 80(1) avatars and up, and often have a much deeper aa developed tree, and way better gear, while most of us who come to try or get started, still have what we got when we first achieved level 80. To top it all off, there is NOTHING in the pvp matching equation, that takes any of these unbalanced features and assets into account when it matches one up. I rarely, if ever run into any other pvp player with just level 80. Most are level 80(10). So I expect they probably have every thing maxed out with respect to epic pvp gear, aa feats, and any bonuses they may get from having a level 10 pvp character.

That aside, I never ever have seen a match even get more than one player attempting to start a pvp match that is anything but level 80. So no lower level avatars ever seem to play it. So yes, I say loudly, that even if you do not buy into the imbalance of classes, which I know exists in pvp not to mention said weaker classes are often targeted and farmed at spawn points, further alienating and frustrating would be pvp players, but you have to at least acknowledge the pvp levels of matches are not fair to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Xularianne View Post
    First of all, you have some classes that are way way under powered in pvp and no counter measures or counterbalances to adequately offset any such imbalances as one would expect.
    Such classes doesn´t exist. Please explain us further your opinion. I love such post from people who "understand" game (especially from apparently new players). Imo you are wrong in pretty much everything what you posted here.
    Xuhotl - arcimage of the city of Xuthal in service of great army Futilez - HoX PvP lvl 10
    Bordhi - Khitai legionary - DT PvP lvl 7
    Bahary - vampire and your nightmare - Lotus Sin PvP lvl 7
    Shiwan - the last of Corrags - retired noob Barb PvP lvl 8

Quote Originally Posted by Xularianne View Post
    That is partly because it is tragically unbalanced. First of all, you have some classes that are way way under powered in pvp and no counter measures or counterbalances to adequately offset any such imbalances as one would expect. Secondly, you have alot of hard core long timer pvp players practically dominating the pvp games since they have level 80(1) avatars and up, and often have a much deeper aa developed tree, and way better gear, while most of us who come to try or get started, still have what we got when we first achieved level 80. To top it all off, there is NOTHING in the pvp matching equation, that takes any of these unbalanced features and assets into account when it matches one up. I rarely, if ever run into any other pvp player with just level 80. Most are level 80(10). So I expect they probably have every thing maxed out with respect to epic pvp gear, aa feats, and any bonuses they may get from having a level 10 pvp character.

That aside, I never ever have seen a match even get more than one player attempting to start a pvp match that is anything but level 80. So no lower level avatars ever seem to play it. So yes, I say loudly, that even if you do not buy into the imbalance of classes, which I know exists in pvp not to mention said weaker classes are often targeted and farmed at spawn points, further alienating and frustrating would be pvp players, but you have to at least acknowledge the pvp levels of matches are not fair to one another.
    Don't get discouraged. I understand what you mean, because some classes are neither well balanced within themselves, amongst each other and for sure not when it comes to gear. They tried to fix one thing here and there, but it is all AD&D first edition planless unsystematic actions. What they did with some more skill was to balance it out a bit for end game lvl80s. For this Shiwan is actually right. Chars at this stage survive longer and have more options. Also, some classes can have incredible synergy effects and can get a lot stronger with right gear and build.

I know that new 80s and especially new players do not have these options visible or available. The progression curve is insanely high at the start, because funcom choose the quick and dirty route, going for a oneshot crit philosophy with a very low learning curve and grindy progression.
    All progress in pvp is via rl tech gear, fishy means, rl location, linear AA and gear. The only specialization is through builds, but if you compare the effects, it is ridicolous.

Still for low level minis, you might catched a wrong time. Last month on Fury there have been 39 and 19. This month 19. Last year till the transfers even 59. So someone still likes and plays that.

As tips for fresh 80s, you can go for khitai faction blues to give you at least the dps to hurt the powerpeople. You still die, if they notice you and focus in 1s, but better than no damage and dying Do Jhebbals or make sure you have support or friends in the other minis. Else you will get frustrated fast AND get close to no xp at all. A lost Jhebbal gives still a few hundred xp (correct me, if wrong), but a lost 12 ppl mini far less. So, if one mini at the time is crap and you are farmed...chances are good, that the next one is the same, because you fight against pregrouped "friends" or at least people of equal power who know each other. And do not expect a newbie bonus or fairness. A lot of the remaining players don't care and just farm kills.
    PvP gear now still requires lots of grind, because they replaced existing gear with more powerfull stuff without adding lesser power to the low tiers (pvp0-3). So you will probably still have to do pve to progress in pvp.
    You should also ask ingame or here about pvp builds. As said above, with a pure pve build, you might be too slow, do not the right damage or simply lack the "one OP ability".
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 27th March 2014 at 15:33.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast