Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on pvp as a demo vs other classes ?

Playing a demo is about positioning and using your team. If you overextend and get greedy you die a lot.

If you sit in the extreme back line and SS all game you might steal some kills but the end result is your not really doing anything.

You need to find a balance between supporting your team and supporting yourself with your team, which just comes back to positioning and situational awareness. You need to know where your team members are and where the enemy is so you can get to the best position to AoE while minimizing the risk to yourself. (I'm still working on this myself)

Yes, kiting is important, but you can only kite for so long without support and then you become a liability because your team is constantly having to pull back to help you. Of course, with how minis are and some classes play, it's easy for some to breach the frontline with relative ease and force the caster into a 2 and 3 vs. situation, that will happen at times, especially when it's personal with some people.

The best advice I have is that you just use your positioning and awareness to make it more effort than what most people are willing to invest into finishing you, once you get a reputation like you'll see players chase you off, but not always try to finish you, because it means over extending past a reasonable limit and putting yourself at risk.

Demo is definitely the strongest untouched class in the game and has been since 1.3, and yes, sins and rangers, and most soldiers can blow you up in a combo or two, but that's why pvp is a group based game. You need to rely on your team and yourself to limit the possibility and risk of those situations, you can't Rambo out on a clothie and expect good results.
    Last edited by Suctum; 6th July 2014 at 13:39.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by azriel323 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Every class can do decent damage in this game in pvp. But why wear cloth and do it? what sets us apart form the rest of the damage dealers? I'm speaking in terms of pvp. Which i feel that this game is big on.
    Demo is the typical glass-canon which shall be protected by the team , but team wont protect you for certain reasons such us : a)they might not know u , b) they might not care about the fact this is not a single-player game, c) they might not be able to do so cause theyre getting too much preasure from nme team .. etc etc

As demo , you'll need to overcome these problems with certain ad-pvp and post-pvp actions .

ad-pvp :
    *max passive critigation from AA , get Subbtle Illusion and use it correctly (its worth using it ONLY if ur not taking dmg , but its crap using it before taking dmg , this means u got to use it while u take dmg BUT by interrupting the dmg u recieve . In other words , use it while ur enemy got a small cc by an ally , or use geometry for a good position which will save u 1-2 seconds )

* be prepared to go ALL-IN --> sometimes you wont be able to kite/run/etc , youll have to fight , so u got to be cold-blooded and do it the best way , dare SW-possession and crit buff , also dare pacts those crucial moments ..etc

*[gear slots are important and how u distribute them , ull find the ballance there urself so it fits ur playstyle better, but keep in mind that belt is ur pvE part ,also wings are better than pvpcloak and in certain matches adding t4 chest stead of pvpchest would be way better]

post-hoc :
    *the most important skill a demo could have is double-tapping KB's . If no priest to babysit you then the barb who jumped and knocked u will 3shot u till u rise back at ur feet. Doubletap-op

* also remember , your AA anti-cc is more usefull if used on long CC's stead of short ones. Sometimes wasting it on the DT's stun makes u vulnerable to his fear and loses u the duel/fight. Other demo's slow might be more important to repel than his stun (not his possession , that's must-break on most situations).

* when u land a nice CC , ur next spell (after a quick HF if available) is Chaotic blast , then shortcasts , then FoG(or SS ,.. bah), then shortcasts and lance. cc effect should be over by the time u finish ur FoG(or SS ,..but rly) and u should be preparing ur defenses and choosing ur new position while u do all these.

*Team-wise , in the open field , its important to know that ure the PUSHER . If u push too much with aoe and quick cc's then they wont reach you , so u wont bother too much , but this is for the moment u got a team , not a company of gremlins .

We might be fine with cloth sometimes ;p
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*

Thank you (all) for taking the time to educate me. I didn't know I can just (double tap) side step to avoid knockbacks. I thought it only works for rangers when they pew pew in their comfort zone (out ranging all but shock/shock strike). here aren't much talk on pvp strategies for demos on this section of the forums. I am glad that some of you are willing to share you 2cents.

I am not confidant on relaying on my team in mini games. simply because most are self centered ... it's my responsibility to stay alive most of the time anyways so i don't place blame on other classes not willing to look out for their casters. only a handful of times I get a healer that is aware of me and well do what they can to keep me alive while I kite the entire party: praying that my teammates well finish them off before they obliterate me (insta cast as i kite). and very few times a solider well pressure the rouges off of me my back. But does moments are rare in a PuG. if they only knew that most of the kills well be earned easier by going after those that are chasing me: which imo, will earn them more kills then extending to the other side on does that are not CCs by me(using CCs on foes to stay alive). i well have a happier playtime lol

In a 1v1 situation I can handle myself by rotating my CCs and kite while insta cast if not sins. mini games is where I have trouble holding my ground. and to see other classes do it better just eats me up inside. and when I do kite my tail off. I find I get no kills because I spend most of the time running in circles lol not being able to cast my big hitters.

but I well take all that was said in to consideration and incorporate that in to my play style.

much appreciated.
    Last edited by azriel323; 7th July 2014 at 00:55.

There is nothing much to add. Always have hands of the underworld running, skillout backdraft for 100% chance of detonation as your most powerful cc and have it prepared in every situation so you can kb a whole group of enemies and you easily escape.
    With good movement you can do shitloads of kills without dying often, but all this depends on the opposite group for sure.

as much as I want to be a good sport about this. I can't lie to myself nor repress what I feel it imbalance about our class compare to others. many classes can resist magic damage and outright be protected by it. heal form it even. and what we got is a planar shift that is nothing more than a placebo effect. you ever try popping planar shift when your being focused ?9 times out of 10 you die all the same in a mini.

I may be inexperience. but I am not blind nor is the population that plays this game. Look at our demo forums for example, we don't even have a another page of threads. while other classes are rolling deep in discussion sharing their opinions about their specific class. you have your point of view about demo's and how we are good and don't need any improvements. but if we are so good to play why aren't there more of us? people tend to go for Flavor of the Months. it human nature. we go for what's best. And right now and ALWAYs has been rangers, conq, DT and PoM in that FoTM spot light.

I personally think we need a 2nd look at planar shift. I know there been some debate about this. But I also have suggestions about our one and only defensive spell.

make planar shift a bubble, you take no damage. but you also do no damage for a brief moment. that is something I feel we disparately need for pvp being a auto focus target.
    Last edited by azriel323; 8th July 2014 at 11:01.

you got a point , planar is no bubble
    it's a filter and its use is clearly a matter of probability theory

To improve it u need to invest points in prowess tree (+ evasion from double tap , dont remember the name of the upgrade tho , but its symmetrical to empowered momentum so ull find it) .

Use it at 5-6 k life , so it can filter more of ur healthpoints and immediately doubletap (back +right/left) so you greatly improve ur chances .

One question , have u maxed ur protective wards?
    Fury:
    Etheecx -Necrow R5
    Ebedokles -Priest of Agrigento [threw himself into the volcano!]
    Teargarden -Sin R8
    Teagarden -Ranger R7
    Tempgarden - DeaTea R8
    Teadealer -ToS R3

Crom:
    Ethicx -Demonologist R10
    Bedtime -Guardian R5
    SponsoredHox R3 delight

*Chaotic gooD*

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey- View Post
    One question , have u maxed ur protective wards?
    No. I have not invested in any AA points in any form of ward passives yet. other then elusive nature (3) passive. is there any you would suggest i should get first?

so far i took my ring of fire(4), sky lord(2).
    pressing and decisive strike (3)for dmg slot. and other dmg enhancers passives at the bottom.
    Last edited by azriel323; 8th July 2014 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by azriel323 View Post
    No. I have not invested in any AA points in any form of ward passives yet. other then elusive nature (3) passive. is there any you would suggest i should get first?

so far i took my ring of fire(4), sky lord(2).
    pressing and decisive strike (3)for dmg slot. and other dmg enhancers passives at the bottom.
    So the reason your instantly dying and getting focused is because your probably on a newish toon with low AA and low PvP levels?

Class discussion won't really help you here, as being a low level clothie makes you a target for easy kills. There's really not much that can be done about that for a while, people see a pvp 4 or less and immediately think easy kill, which is often correct. All you can do is learn to stay off of the radar, not expose yourself too much, and stay always at range. Once you get some pvp t2 gear and the levels needed to use it, you'll notice your not so much of a target, and maxing out passive wards right next to the CC break is essential to survivability.
    Doomsayer 2008

Just play smart,stay behind your team all the time but always stay with them...nuke,cc...bla bla bla....and be prepared to not get any kind of help,also if u are low pvp lvl..then prepare to get focused by the entire enemy team.

Communication is the key to success!

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    So the reason your instantly dying and getting focused is because your probably on a newish toon with low AA and low PvP levels?

Class discussion won't really help you here, as being a low level clothie makes you a target for easy kills.
    it not a new character. but it no better than one. I left the game only a few months after lunch. because my machine was having trouble running it. and I read later on many were as well. I remember spending more time restarting the game then actually playing it. 6 years later I'm back.

Class discussion represent the interest and popularity toward the class from the player base. people read up and talk about what they are interested in. the challenges they face, the strategy to overcome it. and for those (like me)that aren't there yet to get familiar with it, so they well know in the future how to deal with it. it a place to share our knowledge collectively and hopefully constructively.

*when you like something you tend to want to know more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberivs View Post
    Just play smart,stay behind your team all the time but always stay with them...nuke,cc...bla bla bla....and be prepared to not get any kind of help,also if u are low pvp lvl..then prepare to get focused by the entire enemy team.

Communication is the key to success!
    staying behind your team does not work with me majority of the time. they just break through and gun to destroy me. Lately ive just been looking for hard to spot angles and using shock strike so it comes from the sky with out the FoG leading a stream of fire back to me . also needing to run from everything just turning my way because i don't want to take the chance.

communication with others in a mini game is like planar shift. you cant rely on it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast