Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some ranger tweak suggestions

Default Some ranger tweak suggestions

Since the servers are being merged and I can't play my favourite character in all of AoC, I thought I'd just post a few thoughts I've had about the class and what would make it even more fun, at least for me.

First off, I may be the only player in the game that actually prefers the ranger as it is now, compared to before the revamp. To me, it makes way more sense to do white hits BEFORE you select the combo, rather than after. That gives me much more control over how I play the toon... both whether I wish to use an upper, or a lower, or both or none for the combo... and also to choose at the last minute which combo I want to use. This compares to say any other melee toon, where you are locked into a set series of hits AFTER you select the combo, and can't easily adjust once you get started.

My main suggestion would be to please find another way to display the upper/lower buffs! Either like the sin shards, or more like the old combo hits ui. As it is now, they get lost in the plethora of buffs you can get in this game, and it's very easy to do a combo without having acquired the buff first.

Second, I wish Funcom would take the whole ranger combo idea one step further by adding a third white hit option to the higher level combos, so you could have the potential to do two uppers and a lower, or two lowers and an upper before releasing the combo. For example, with bleeding puncture buff can give you more dps and longer dot with the shot.. what if a second upper gave the shot an increased chance to crit on releasing the combo? Or, a second lower gave you increased combat rating for a short period, and could be stacked with a second lower from another combo? This would open up a lot more choices in how you play the shot, and provide the ranger with additional dps opportunities in a controlled way.

On another issue... I think the shared cooldown for ranger advantages should be reduced by half. This would open the possibility of using three advantages in a rotation, rather than two as is the case now.

Well, those are my wild and crazy ideas that will never see the light of day... but, as I said, gotta do something while the servers are being merged.

Default !!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralFear View Post
    Since the servers are being merged and I can't play my favourite character in all of AoC, I thought I'd just post a few thoughts I've had about the class and what would make it even more fun, at least for me.

First off, I may be the only player in the game that actually prefers the ranger as it is now, compared to before the revamp. To me, it makes way more sense to do white hits BEFORE you select the combo, rather than after. That gives me much more control over how I play the toon... both whether I wish to use an upper, or a lower, or both or none for the combo... and also to choose at the last minute which combo I want to use. This compares to say any other melee toon, where you are locked into a set series of hits AFTER you select the combo, and can't easily adjust once you get started.

My main suggestion would be to please find another way to display the upper/lower buffs! Either like the sin shards, or more like the old combo hits ui. As it is now, they get lost in the plethora of buffs you can get in this game, and it's very easy to do a combo without having acquired the buff first.

Second, I wish Funcom would take the whole ranger combo idea one step further by adding a third white hit option to the higher level combos, so you could have the potential to do two uppers and a lower, or two lowers and an upper before releasing the combo. For example, with bleeding puncture buff can give you more dps and longer dot with the shot.. what if a second upper gave the shot an increased chance to crit on releasing the combo? Or, a second lower gave you increased combat rating for a short period, and could be stacked with a second lower from another combo? This would open up a lot more choices in how you play the shot, and provide the ranger with additional dps opportunities in a controlled way.

On another issue... I think the shared cooldown for ranger advantages should be reduced by half. This would open the possibility of using three advantages in a rotation, rather than two as is the case now.

Well, those are my wild and crazy ideas that will never see the light of day... but, as I said, gotta do something while the servers are being merged.
    My friend fellow ranger..all your suggestions look quite interesting..But you missed or skipped the most importand thing-issue that needs serious tweaking or revamping if you will...
    The crossbow tree..Give rangers back the crossbow tree..with all its advantages and disadvantages,or create new adavantages or disadvantages for that..
    Make the 2 trees completely different..Give rangers choices like before..Now whether you feat one or the other or hybrid..no difference at all..Boring ,not rewarding not smart at all..
    Its completely broken ..animation is way too slow..Nobody plays with a xbow currently,so all xbows are useless..even the good ones..Why use a xbow while you need double the time to do the combo,while with the bow its way faster..Make the xbow viable again and the tree also..

Good point. I completely agree with you.

Nah man you're not the only one. I prefer the ranger after revamp. Especially the fact you could buff the up and down white hits with either bow or sword. It gives a dynamic play style and the fight at zero range has some possibilites.

Usually when I read people writing how they would change ranger I'm scared but your suggestions are kinda cool actually.
    Last edited by Religolibri; 11th September 2013 at 01:00.

My main problem with the way rangers play in PvE now is that we're too reliant on Master Trapper. This takes away much of the point of the character, which is range. I'd nerf or eliminate that buff, and decrease cooldowns on advantages and the Marked abilities.

Sword and shield and dual wield melee rangers just don't have a point that I can figure, at least not in PvE. I'd just give away all that gear to the classes that will actually use it -- swords and shields for tanks, daggers for sins -- and add more bows and ammo.

Or maybe just include the ammo with the bow or xbow, and turn the ammo slot into some kind of talisman slot that adds damage or debuffs to the shots, fire arrows, poison arrows, boxing glove arrows, to make them collectable and motivate players to collect situational ones.
    Quæ tam fera immanisque natura? - Cicero, Pro Sexto Roscio
    ------
    Heraclea (conq)--Hippolyte (rgr)--Ursamaior (BS)--Turandot (demo)--Nhutruong (DT)--Grignette (barb)--Haboob (HoX)--Androctone (guard)--Almawt (sin)--Dysphemia (necro)
    讓我給你讀你的內臟

I would dump the melee weps and combos too... after all, I wouldn't expect melee toons to have combos on their ranged attacks. If I want to do melee, I'll switch to one of them.

Don't know about master trapper though... I love that buff, and in most raid and group encounters I'm not gonna be at range anyway... best to be with the group near the boss so if I pull aggro, he's not running across the room getting everyone pissed off at me, lol. In my view, though, rangers should get the buff when the trap is dropped, not when it is triggered, so if I am at range, I should be able to use my trap as a buff mechanism.

And then scary advices popped haha.

I would dump the melee weps and combos too... after all, I wouldn't expect melee toons to have combos on their ranged attacks. If I want to do melee, I'll switch to one of them.
    The point of rangers medium armor and melee combos is to make him an hybrid toon.
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

sad...
    ranger was once a great and fun class to play with combo system on all atack abilities now its dumb and doesnt even diferenciate xbow and bow.

was my favorite class when it had combos now its this shimpanza noob class.

same people who dont want combos back are same people saying they need taking the shot else they cant pvp properly :P.

maybe one day they revert ranger to have combos again untill then just delete your ranger its dullest class in aoc.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

The visibility of the buffs were mentioned on the old forums after the revamp was released and suggested to be made bigger...at least they could somehow document (like in combat log or in combo description) what kind of combo was executed (right now the buffs disappear once you hit the finisher key, why not let them blink while the animation is ongoing?).

Your second idea might be adressed a bit by the idea of generally rewarding buffing up combos more and documenting it in the tooltip.

For example like this:
    Penetrating shot
    unbuffed: +100 dps
    lower buff: +200 dps
    upper buff: +120 dps, less cooldown
    both buffs: +220 dps, +30 hit rating, less cooldown

So, you would have actually 4 options of the same combo and could refer to them as "not", "lower", "upper" and "fully" buffed in the log.

The armor ripper could have 4 stages, making it viable again and dangerous...the slow could have some debuff added (- to hit, evade or damage).

Basically anything that nerfs unbuffed shots a bit, but rewards doing the buffing.

About melee, sadly the feat tree is messed up and does not allow for interesting hybrid builds as before the revamp anymore. The +melee combat feats only buff two or three combos (of which two have the same sound and anim...) and the other existing ones are completely neglected (of which many have different sounds and animation).
    Last edited by Kurt2013; 11th September 2013 at 10:36.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast