Thread: Up, down..attacks?

Default Up, down..attacks?

So, I just dinged level 40 and have lower attacks. I have no idea what this is supposed to do. Does it mean I can fire arrows at a mob so that it can't block it? I don't get the up, down bonus piece of this really.

Quote Originally Posted by jhenagir View Post
    So, I just dinged level 40 and have lower attacks. I have no idea what this is supposed to do. Does it mean I can fire arrows at a mob so that it can't block it? I don't get the up, down bonus piece of this really.
    No, the down attacks can be blocked same as the up attacks on the same side. However, down attacks can have different (and usually better) combo effects. The way it works is, you shoot a down (or up) attack, see the arrow in your buff bar (lasts 5 seconds), then hit the combo, and the bonus will be applied to that combo as stated in its description.

You'll probably find as you continue leveling that you use the down attacks the majority of the time with your combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffriend View Post
    You'll probably find as you continue leveling that you use the down attacks the majority of the time with your combos.
    This is very true, only the armor ripper is better with an upper buff as it adds a physical wreck effect. Although I often double buff (up & down) the Deadly Draw for more damage & longer duration.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    The world we know is cold and hard; the weak shall be trampled underfoot and the strong will march forward to glory.

Ahh I see, so if I have an up arrow buff going, I ought to use an up arrow combo attack? I was just spamming up white damage with it while my combos were on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by jhenagir View Post
    Ahh I see, so if I have an up arrow buff going, I ought to use an up arrow combo attack? I was just spamming up white damage with it while my combos were on CD.
    Depends what buff you want to do with the combo though.

You can just hit the combo button by itself - it'll do damage. But using the up or down (or both) before hand will do extra stuff. Extra damage, a slow, reduced cooldown on combos, etc - read the descriptions on the attacks for what extra stuff they do. For example the cooldown on most of the combos is like 15 seconds, but if you do it with up and down buffs running, the cooldown is reduced to 8 seconds (i think it 8 seconds) - good in raids/groups, more dps because the combo is available again sooner (I won't even pretend to know about pvp )

You hit the up or down (or both) attacks first, which if you look at buffs along the top of the screen at the buffs, will give you a up or lower attack buff (a big red arrow up, or down, or both if you do up and then down first) - then you hit the combo (it's not really a combo on ranger - it's one button).

So, Up or Down (or if you want both, then Up followed by Down - or the other way round, it doesn't matter), then followed by the combo.

That's pretty much it. So, no you don't have to use the upper/lower attacks first if you don't want to, but using them first them the combo makes them more powerful or gives some effect. Although some are crap. And leveling is really easy on ranger - even without the up/down buffs to enhance stuff , rangers do stupid damage. So, if you forget or whatever, don't stress - it'll probably be dead anyway.
    Yangrin | Yangbear | Krem | Marsheesh | Oforawesome | Pappalegba | Yangryn
    -------------------
    Age of Conan Wiki | Still waiting for Half Life 3 - FU Gabe Newell! / May 2014 Update! It's apparently been "worked on"!!!!! #Sarcasm | PvP approach: The 'Cup of Tea' stratagem. That upon finding myself in a PvP zone & being attacked, I get up, walk away from the keyboard and go and make a cup of tea.