Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: I'd like to spent money on a new expansion!

Quote Originally Posted by Vahush View Post
    Because a new mmo launch means an influx of a big crowd of new players. They might not stick around but the profit they provide in the first few months is a lot more than what you get when adding new expacs to an old game.

That said it's not completely meaningless to add expacs to old games only IF you have a healthy pop and want to retain that pop keeping them from going somewhere else kinda like WoW few years back BUT for all the reasons we know (overhype and rushed release) AoC has already bled out that major pop it had years before and FC is now keeping the servers up with slow mini additions, therefore doesn't make financial sense to pour a lot of resources in to keep like 10 or under 10 raiding guilds from fleeing to other games? These ppl are the thick skinned hardcore aoc fans (I am one of them also) that will not sway to any new mmo that easily.

The part you said that the resources devs/tool are already there so why not do an expac it'll not be expensive with existant stuff.

Actually FC resources are spread very thin atm and number of ppl working on aoc equals to a life support situation not more. A new expac requires HUGE amount of resources lots more than you think of, something FC is not willing to bank on aoc atm.

Just to be clear tho we not getting lots of new stuff as fast as we want but I still commend FC for keeping the game up they could have shut it down like all money driven companies do to their games without blinking read NCSoft and EA. That's a plus in my book I still strongly resent NC for shutting down CoX.
    I agree wholeheartidly. Keeping the game up is awesome. I do feel though it's time to open up more to the community (I keep recycling the following request....) to keep it going.

Maybe after thier current forseeable plans are done, start working on a framework (state-tracker or advertise your IRC more) to open up the creative process somewhat. Start with simple things like storylines before moving on to a sandbox tool we can use to manipulate environments for submission to FC for sanitising.... that one's a lofty goal, I know *shrug* but what's the harm in getting feedback and pushing for it =) I would love to see what poeple have in mind for revamping or creating actual challenging events for todays standards things like those random boss spawn buildings in PLS/Poi/LP, or big pointy tail guy in Poitain; Harbinger of Thingy. Unending waves of ever increasingly difficult mobs and you're rewarded with increasingly valuable lewts for a very simple example.

Most games that stand the test of time have been open to community input (all the Quakes, HL etc). FC always had niche MMO games that just keep on going because they keep the game open. So why not be the first to have a community contribution scheme? I understand the legal situation with 3rd party licensing etc, but we're not talking low-down Speed-tree and Havok engine stuff here. AO does it with their public bot and radio stations if I recall. And their linking to external websites to show off new item content. They used to organise in-game dance parties in the clubs as well.

Maybe tee this up with some people who would be willing to create some video's of such content to host on YouTube and a newspiece on MMORPG. Take the load off the dev's and let those of us who want to help put something back in to the game.

Again, you might have a point about nex xpacs like khitai, but new content with for example a village, new quests or random encounters is completely doable and could be sold accesswide through the shop.
    Same goes for gear or vanity options. There is still so much unused content or half-finished content in game that is already there (like several unused scenarios and locations behind invisible walls, clothes from npcs etc.).

Don't give me the resource argument, when most they need to do is read one or two conan stories, do some copy and paste and write a few lines to expand the gameworld. Again, if modders can do it without full access in days for free, why can't a paid developer? Even funcom did do it with last years halloween quest.

It is more a matter of "allowed to and motivated" than "being able to". Maybe the existing editor they have for aoc is crap too (like what neverwinter nights 2 did with aurora, which was not only dumbed down, but also more complicated than the neverwinter nights 1 version). This would be a valid excuse, but it does not come down to money only.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011