Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Made a barb, would like some gear/aa/feat advice

Default Made a barb, would like some gear/aa/feat advice

Hello, I made a barbarian as my first alt the other day, in my 40s atm, and I have a few questions about gear/aa/feats that I'd like answered. I see there's no barbarian sticky - does anyone maybe have some good informational threads from the old forums saved, so that they can be accessed with web.archive.org? Eventually one of those handy googledocs with interesting barb gear?

I've checked some of the older, similar threads to this one, and I think I've gotten an impression of how endgame dps works - my queries are really about "getting there".

Firstly, regarding feats/spec - I've been using 2h and gone kinda here and there with my feats, picking dps stuff in the berserker tree, but I got some decent blue 1 handers from guild bank earlier, and I've been wanting to give a reaver spec a try.

If anyone could tell me what feats that are really good and which ones I should avoid, that'd be great, or even yet give me a spec (I saw some other specs in other threads, but mostly they're 2handed specs for up to lvl 40 or lvl 80 dps/pvp specs).

For AA I've already put some points in pressing + decisive strikes, and I figure I'll get tainted weapons/finely honed asap when I get to 80. After that I imagine I'll pick up Upheaval, and then get high in whatever the rogue equivalent of Will of the Sublime is, as well as the -aggro AA. Are there any other important AA I should prioritize as a barb?

As for gear, I did the wb and got t1 legs + 2h, so I guess that will last until I get epic khitai or T3 equivalents, but I was wondering about what items to get asap when I get to 80, for quickly joining HMs. My "item progression thoughts" are these;

Eye of the Watcher (crafted neck) > Kakaba Guide/T3/Unchained neck
    Energetic Band (crafted ring) 2x > Milestone ring
    Crow's Nest quest cape (Jovian cape) > Vile Nativity cape
    1h trader blues > random Khitai blue 1h/t1/t2 > Children mace + Tigerswipe
    2h t1 (Twinned Moons) > LL epic sword (is this good? Don't wanna get Ibis...)

And rest of gear, I imagine I'll use random blues > t1/t2/random Khitai stuff > full tiger gear. I hear hyrkanian gear is also ok - are the other factions good in any way, or just to be ignored?

Are there any other good, easy-to-get barb items I should consider? Like solo instance items? For my main hox, there were a lot of such items, like Forgotten City unchained neck that's better than anything else before t4, or Dreamer's Keepsakes that were really good.

Barb is also my first dual-weilding class, and I'm a bit uncertain what that entails for weapon choices. A friend who plays sin told me that for sin, having max damage (not dps) on main weapon and maximum stats possible on offhand weapon was ideal. Is this the case for Barb? Does that mean it's better to use Children mace + Tigerswipe, than 2x Children's mace? I see t4 people sometimes who still use Tigerswipe...

I plan on doing a lot of KK loops (Tigerswipe drops there, and I think Yag has a good 1h too + pants), Vile Nativity and Fort runs when I can, to maximize rewards for my time. Are there any other dungeons that are very rewarding for barbs? Like tha give both good item drops and higher combo drop maybe?

Appreciate any replies!

Quote Originally Posted by uncreativex View Post
    tell me everything to do
    What's your username and password? I'll just play the game and level for you.

Best and most honest advice anyone can give you right now about current barb situation:

reroll a conq.

If you still want to go forward (maybe you're masochistic), here's a few tips.

Reaver Feats.
    T2: neither blitz nor ambidextrous are all that great, but if you're going the pve dps route, one point in blitz and maxxing out ambidextrous to go further down the tree will be the correct choice.

T3: one point in Sever, it will give you approx. +1% dps. Any point over the first increases your dps by less than 0.5% and is thus much better avoided unless you're at the point in which you're level 80, you've your last feat points left and nothing better to spend them on. Smash'n Crush and Brutal Cyclone are a much better option to go down the tree.

T4: Ferocity maxxed out ASAP. One point in Predatory Instinct used to be good for stamina regen, now it's much less clear cut. Tempered Steel is probably a better choice at least at the start to go down the tree.

T5: Get all of them. Haste, Too Many to Count and the Savage Fury-endless Fury line all give pretty good bonuses. If you want to skip on one avoid Too Many to Count due to its incredibly high cooldown.

T6: Spirit of the Panther and Jagged Weapons. The two best ones by far for sustained dps in PvE.

Rest is over level 40 so I'll skip.

Keep in mind, as a general rule, Berserker is lower dps but a lot easier to solo with due to much better survivability. Play Reaver extremely aggressively; the idea is to kill them before they kill you.

AA you already have it pretty much nailed. Decisive + Pressing, but especially TW + FH first for the Khitai instances once you're 80. That will put you in a good place, from then onward just pick what you'd like first.

Gear: your choices are good. In general, if you can get the raid weapons, the barbarian ones are among the absolute best at every tier from 1 to 4.

Offhand: correct again. Max dps on your main weapon, max bonuses on your offhand. Tigerswipe is actually a blue weapon which has some kickass bonuses for being offhand. You need to go quite high on the pecking order to find a better one, stuff like crafted weapons and/or high tier raid ones.

What about the last legion 2H ? I think I never saw it that much, while you can see a lot of hoxes with the one from Hyrkanians. Any reason besides the 200 rare tokens needed ?
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf-of-Evil View Post
    What's your username and password? I'll just play the game and level for you.
    Haha, I do tend to ramble off and make unnecessarily long posts, but in my defence, AOC is a sometimes illogical game with pitfalls and bugs aplenty. For instance, I see tons of hoxes going around with str/cr gear or Ibis, not knowing how ineffective it is, and I just read Sidar's DT guide which proposes that a bunch of crafted blues are better than almost all non-tier 3.5/4 gear for DT.

What I'm asking can pretty much be summed up in three questions though;
    1. Are there any easy to get items at 80 that will last me a long time? Like crafted blues, solo dungeon drops, stuff from t1/t2, NM dungeons/the easiest HMs?
    2. What AA to go for other than the most obvious?
    3. Can I get a lvling spec, or at least some clues to what is good and what to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusLL
    Best and most...raid ones
    Thanks a lot for the advice, exactly what I was looking for (except for the Conq advice - even if conqs really outperform barbs in PvE dps, they also can't do the stuff rogues do in Khitai HMs, and everyone wants balanced raids these days anyhow).

The barb tier 1-3 being good is especially useful, since it's basically vanity/vendor trash on hox... Is this the case for T3 too, though? I mean, that takes a while to get, and I see there are some useless stats on it like +hide and ****.

Anyhow I've been re-considering Reaver/dualweild solo for a bit... Even if it's fine 40-80 - do you think it might be a bit problematic when starting to do Khitai faction quests and solo dungeons? Forgotten City unch is sorta hard, and I guess the Turan dungeons are even more so... Maybe I should get a berserker 2h spec then as backup when not in group, even if solo dungeon bosses cant be cc'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Religolibri View Post
    What about the last legion 2H ? I think I never saw it that much, while you can see a lot of hoxes with the one from Hyrkanians. Any reason besides the 200 rare tokens needed ?
    You have no crit on LL barb 2h and rather low base damage. So it's a lot of work to get a very average sword. While HoX sword has much better stats for hox (crit rating, magic damage and even a high base damage for a khitai sword (the highest if i'm not mistaking))
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Can get the T2 two hand axe from the world bosses if you don't plan to raid T2.

It's difficult to switch from berserker to reaver mid-stream, so to speak. Feels/plays entirely differently. You'll die fast with reaver but you kill groups of mobs incredibly fast too. Once you get the hang of it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by uncreativex View Post
    Anyhow I've been re-considering Reaver/dualweild solo for a bit... Even if it's fine 40-80 - do you think it might be a bit problematic when starting to do Khitai faction quests and solo dungeons? Forgotten City unch is sorta hard, and I guess the Turan dungeons are even more so... Maybe I should get a berserker 2h spec then as backup when not in group, even if solo dungeon bosses cant be cc'd.
    You can solo everything in reaver which you can solo in berserker, but you need to know how to pull it off. As I said, berserker is definitely easier to solo.

My best advice...Don't underestimate the hyrikan bigpieces.. Slightly lower critt and dps, no hit..But you'll gain alot of hp.

Quote Originally Posted by CueQue View Post
    My best advice...Don't underestimate the hyrikan bigpieces.. Slightly lower critt and dps, no hit..But you'll gain alot of hp.
    And also you gain 550 armour from the increased strength stats on Hyrkanian set. Depends how skilled you are, what playstyle you are pursuing, and if you are set be a glass cannon or not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast