Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanking and defensive abilities

Default Tanking and defensive abilities

Hi there. I've been gearing up my DT lately to be better at tanking HM's and hopefully manage to solotank at some point.
    I'm having some issues with the defensive part of my DT. I seem to take alot more damage than similar geared characters, which makes me suspect I'm doing something wrong.

My current gear:
    T1 helmet, wrist
    T2 pants, gloves, chest, boots
    General's Armguards of the Watchtowers
    Wolf's belt of the grasslands
    Black Dragon Cloak
    Grim Grey God magic damage/crit ring
    Dreamer's Keepsake w/ magic damage gem
    Eye of the Watcher w/ magic damage gem
    Blade of the fallen king
    Gorgula's Shield

This gives me a total of 51.4% mitigation

I'm using Sidar's general tanking build: Click

Rotation:
    LL V - MB V - Asfof IV - LL IV - MB IV - BfA V
    UB is cast whenever there's room for it or if MB is interrupted.

I always keep Zone of Gluttony up and I try to cast asfof to keep the buff. I use Soul Barrier when I take heavy damage and Cunning Deflection if there's a big hit incoming.

AA's:
    Pressing Strikes 2
    Decisive Strikes 3
    Elusive Nature 1
    Empowered Irritate 2
    Vitality 2
    Void of Madness

My main focus is to train PS, DS and EN to get crit and critigation.

Is there something I'm doing seriously wrong when bosses in dungeons like flames, vortex and palace HM hit me like trucks?
    Last edited by Karyana; 18th November 2013 at 20:47.

Well first thing to ask is you are ofc using covenant of arms, HP tap buff, dread fury buff, pact of malacor active?

The other thing to check which I'm embarrassed to say definitely effected me once is you are using max rank buffs/spells where available, right?

If all of those silly mistakes are crossed off then it is surprising that you are struggling. Tiered gear is pretty bad but it's a good place to start from. Flame certainly can hit hard and his interrupts are especially problematic for a DT, but you should be breezing through palace without taking a scratch. My advice is don't stick to a set rotation besides keeping zone of gluttony up. Use whatever combo hits the least shielded side.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

Don't use the highest rank of BFA. Use 2 ranks of the 2 step ones as filler. Spamming MB doesnt do much. Use your taunts in the combos. Aggro on a DT is more about crit/dmg and health tap for surviving.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    Don't use the highest rank of BFA. Use 2 ranks of the 2 step ones as filler. Spamming MB doesnt do much. Use your taunts in the combos. Aggro on a DT is more about crit/dmg and health tap for surviving.
    aggro is not an issue. I'm struggling staying alive

I'm using Covenant of Arms, Drain Life, Sadistic Soul, Aura of Dread Fury, Curse of Gwahlur and Pact of Malacodor.

Using highest rank of all combos.

It could be your accessories, getting the Hyrkanian neck and BB ring will help. Just from looking at what you said you have for gear you don't have much in critical rating, you need to work on getting tiger and LL-Hate gear and change your shield out for either the blue yag shield or something else. You want as much crit rating as possible to take advantage of VoM and increase your damage, which will increase the returned health from taps and keep you alive. If you can get an ibis that would be ideal, if not there are a couple of faction weapons that work too.

Another thing to look at is what combos your using against shielded sides, hitting all your combos doing 33% less damage will greatly affect your taps, so maybe it's rotation that your having a hard time with. Also, you don't have to use the highest rank combo, the key to proccing VoM is increasing how many times you hit, using a lower rank combo is in many ways faster that the higher ranks and for several the damage loss between them is minimal.
    Last edited by Suctum; 18th November 2013 at 21:55.
    Doomsayer 2008

Hehe...again lot of pro suggestione here as usual

If you struggle to stay alive and Aggro isnt a Problem just use fully feated Pestilence instead of Arms! Problem solved!
    Additional armor, additional healtap, additional heal (after SoC!) works wonders ! Even with same gear and same combos !

Ps: and dont use this stupid general tanking build with your gear, but use 2 different speccs for physical and magical damage incomming!
    Last edited by Ghola; 18th November 2013 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghola View Post
    Hehe...again lot of pro suggestione here as usual

If you struggle to stay alive and Aggro isnt a Problem just use fully feated Pestilence instead of Arms! Problem solved!
    Additional armor, additional healtap, additional heal (after SoC!) works wonders ! Even with same gear and same combos !

Ps: and dont use this stupid general tanking build with your gear, but use 2 different speccs for physical and magical damage incomming!
    Actually you can buy more spec scrolls through the store and be able to have 4 or 5 mutli-specs, which for tanks is ideal. I'm not sure if you want to use CoP, that's a huge decrease to damage (CoA should be used in all physical tanking), and a huge decrease to taps from loss of damage. The heal is ok, but not compared to the loss of the damage from CoA, at least I think, but I'm a noob DT so maybe not.

Prolly the best thing to do is get one spec general protection with CoI and DS, one with general physical protection with CoA, one with Physical protection with CoA but minus the dread shadow, and one dps spec. You shouldn't need to spec both Physical and magical protection in the general tree unless you just want a lazy one stop spec.

The best thing you can do though would be get out of that T1 and T2 armor and start getting faction gear, you'll find the critigation does make a difference for some encounters, and the higher strength on most of the K6 items will help your armor mitiagation as well.
    Last edited by Suctum; 19th November 2013 at 03:37.
    Doomsayer 2008

I wouldn't give up CoA either tbh.

As said, trying to solo tank flame for instance with gear being mainly t1/2 is not going to work very well, except with uber healers and support.

When you reach a certain level of gear i agree! But with around 10 % critrating and low mitigation pestilence is far superior to coa when it comes to tanking! Heck , even when i was full BLack Dragon i used always Pestilence on Archfriend and prenerf general fight and it worked much better then COA!
    Seems you all started the game full with Critgear and critpots on your DT's instead of Tortage

Not got the game on the computer where I am now, but the other difference between CoP and CoA is that Arms procs on your weapon hits, while Pestilence procs on incoming damage. I think both base damage and the spell coefficient is the same...

In Sidars build there, move the points from armor to improved defensive stance and call that build for your protection build.

Now buy / get an additional specialization and move protection and invulnerability points to armor and pestilence and call that your melee lame build.

Then get another specialization and paste this http://goo.gl/bVW2W7 and call it dps/offtank - because with the gear you currently have odds are that you most likely will have a better geared tank in group so get that one and nuke in frenzy as long as the MT is fine, swap to defensive and pop goad + irritate if you need to take it off him.

Once you get a decent talisman, the one from Enigmata or the first boss in Ardashir Fort works fine, shift a bit on the points to fit in the Talisman Mastery line. http://goo.gl/CixUGB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast