Thread: ASUS P5NSLI Motherboard

Default ASUS P5NSLI Motherboard

Is this a good motherboard? ASUS P5NSLI

It's currently what I have and I'm entertaining the idea of upgrading. I'm thinking my cpu and ram are the first step in upgrading? Want to help me? Keep in mind that I know very little about pc's.

RAM:
    I recently discovered I can upgrade my RAM to a max of 16GB, which blew me away not knowing I could go that high. I currently have a miserable 4gb. (i used to run a 32bit OS but now on 64bit OS)
    This is the RAM I have selected? Good? Bad? Better?
    G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5Q-16GBPQ.

CPU:
    I know nothing about cpu's.
    I currently have Intel core 2 6600 @ 2.40 GHz.
    What would be the best and 2nd best CPU for my motherboard?

VID CARD:
    Video cards are easy enough for me to understand and picking a couple so I don't really need input on cards. Suggestions are always welcomed though.

Anything else I need to consider as I save $$$ to buy these upgrades?

That memory is 400 bucks. I want it too, but its really not worth that much money. You could buy 2 4 gb sticks and 8 is enough for this game.

I have the exact same CPU. Upgrading that and keeping the same board, will do next to nothing.

Video card could make a big difference. I am currently using a GTX 760. Need a good power supply also.

If you are going to upgrade, you'll need a new board, cpu and ram no matter what. Upgrading the current hardware you have is almost a waste of money imo.

I would save money and get a new rig.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Halfdead is correct,double your ram to 8gb as interim boost.Then start filling the piggy bank and get some 100% new guts.

don't forget to buy an SSD drive on which you install windows and aoc.

Ok guys, listen to this because I have been down this road before, bought all the upgrades, and I know what works and not.

I started out with a P35 board with Intel E8400 cpu, 4GB DDR2 ram, 7200rpm hdd and an AMD HD4870 GPU.

I doubled the ram and it was better loading times.
    I upgraded to the HD7950 and I could run DX10 fluently but at the same FPS as DX9 before I upgraded cards. DX9/10 now has no fps difference.
    I upgraded the hdd to an SSD, and loading times was further reduced by 50-80%.
    I bought a Z87 motherboard with 16GB DDR3 ram and a i7 4770K clocked to 4ghz. Paired with above SSD and GPU. The FPS tripled.

Conclusion. Adding ram is the cheapest upgrade but kind of wasting money since DDR2 is not usable on newer motherboards. A new GPU if your old one is like my old one, would help on running DX10. Still your fps will be around 15-20 in intensive fights.

I would save the money and not upgrade the old stuff but buy a complete new computer with this hardware:

Z77/87 motherboard
    i5 2500k / i5 3570k cpu
    16GB DDR3 ram
    SSD from Samsung, the 840 Pro
    GPU; as you say choose yourself but NVidia had some problems with the game not sure if that is fixed or stable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    GPU; as you say choose yourself but NVidia had some problems with the game not sure if that is fixed or stable now.
    Supposed to be fixed. People havent been crying over it lately.

Thanks for all the feedback, suggestions and good input.
    Much appreciated.