Thread: Performance - High End PC

Default Performance - High End PC

Hey folks

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Core i7 3.06GHZ (Standard Clock)
    6GB Ram (3x2gb sticks, running triple channel)
    Geforce GTX 680 (Standard Clock)
    EVGA x58 SLI Classified MB

Fresh OS install w/ all updates/service packs applied.

I would assume I should be able to run AoC in DX10 w/ everything max and have an acceptable frame rate. Unfortunately this is not the case. Frames are quite low (15-20ish). That is with everything maxed. I tried playing with a few things, and I cannot identify what would be causing the performance loss.

I also play The Secret World which I have maxed and get 60+ FPS easily in virtually all environments/situations running in DX11. Both games run on the same engine.

Anyone have any performance tweaking suggestions? Thanks

I was thinking (someday...) to move on to a setup like this, but with my GTX 570, so I'm scared if that would happen to me. Hope you'll find a solution cause I have just a bit higher with a less good cpu and 4 gigas ram.
    Water is my bubble
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Religolibri (10) Ranger, trying something else
    Amtihotep (10) Hox, Using copy paste poss/gen feat

Quote Originally Posted by Locusts View Post
    I also play The Secret World which I have maxed and get 60+ FPS easily in virtually all environments/situations running in DX11. Both games run on the same engine.
    Same engine, yes. Same generation of that engine, no. This explains the difference you are seeing. The engine got a substantial kick in the guts when they used it for TSW due to the massive capital they had backing them at the time.

My only suggestion is to start turning off the more heavy-hitting features (shadows for example) until you arrive at an acceptable framerate.
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

I'm running a Ti550 and AMD 955. 16GB RAM. I can run DX10 max at those same frame-rates almost. And it's nor a RAM-based thing.

It's a dicky thing. I remember a guy running fullblown DX10 on a GeForce 470. The guy who uploaded all those really nice postcard video's of AoC a few years back.

Rumour had it DX10 was broken for a bunch of people on certain cards/drivers anyway. Is it still like that?

As Petri mentioned, might be worth turning down/off some of the heavier features like shader's and pixels until you find the culprit that's affecting your performance, then do a little more investigating.

And I wonder if SweetFX still works too?

Edit: DX10, not DX100 =P

Have you tried alt+tab out of the game and back again? I run on fullscreen window and that is what i need to do every time i start the game.

Quote Originally Posted by blutti View Post
    Have you tried alt+tab out of the game and back again? I run on fullscreen window and that is what i need to do every time i start the game.
    I have to do this almost every time I start the game. I have two monitors though, so I just click on the other one to make AoC out of focus, and back in game again and the game runs silky smooth.

Make sure that:
    • you have fullscreen (normal) enabled;
    • all areas and texture sizes are download in the patcher;
    • your memory is not overflowing (add 6GB more, ideally);
    • you have uninstalled some Windows Updates (http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=180527);
    • your NVidia Control Panel has settings at its default;
    • you are raiding not with full particles;
    • no browsers are running on the background;
    • your HDD has space and is defragmented.

All of these take away some of your FPS.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 3rd February 2014 at 11:49.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    I have to do this almost every time I start the game. I have two monitors though, so I just click on the other one to make AoC out of focus, and back in game again and the game runs silky smooth.
    Have you had much luck with any of the suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    Have you had much luck with any of the suggestions?
    What driver version do you use? BETA or WHQL?

I have a similar PC, but with GTX670 and get somewhere about 75-85 FPS in most areas in Window mode, but down to 35-45 in heavy areas.

I have all at max and using DX10.

But I also have 3 monitors, so AOC client is always lagge when logging in and when I get to char selection screen, I click outside on one of the other monitors and make sure the Flag is properly waving with normal FPS before I start the game.

I am using the last BETA driver from Nvidia.

I'm running roughly the same setup, but with a GTX 670, and run everything on full. only get fps that low on the world boss.
    The lowest I get is around 35fps.
    But, because I run in windowed full screen, I do have to alt-tab out and back in when I start the game, or the fps will be low. Maybe that's your problem.
    Last edited by padishar; 9th February 2014 at 12:26. Reason: spelling