Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roleplaying & People's Comfort Zones

You obviously have a problem with the thread starter. You assign intentions to her out of the blue, just to argue. Nothing you said about the OP makes any sense, at all.

Oh my, I haven't seen a good ooc rp argument since direape444 and laeris were around.

Please, do continue.
    I don't make points I make dents.

Quote Originally Posted by Unutterable View Post
    Oh my, I haven't seen a good ooc rp argument since direape444 and laeris were around.

Please, do continue.
    Omg, I remember Direape and Laeris.

Hoo boy, this topic is going off the rails fast.

As an RPer who has been in AoC only a few years and started RPing in AoC, I have seen quite a few different styles of RP and quite a few different RPers, some of whom I disliked their styles. I don't presume to tell these RPers that their style is necessarily bad, and in some cases, they make the world a little bit livelier and less drab by causing these occasional sparks of conflict. They're just not people I want to mix my RP with on a frequent basis.

I don't think this topic should have been created to begin with, disputes like this never turn out better just because they've become dirty laundry aired in the open. However, while I agree with the beliefs expressed here that normally one's own comfort zones are one's own to define and adhere to, there are also times when RP can be about exploring the limits of what one is willing to experience, and in the process learning new things about others and yourself.

I have witnessed some quite disgusting scenes of RP that have been nothing short of eye-opening, but have afterwards reflected upon them as learning experiences. I don't see that it is always a bad thing to be placed into uncomfortable situations, so long as there is no indeed a way out without OOC interference haunting you afterwards.

Ultimately, I really see the only problem the OP experienced is the OOC tells and such. That ought to be remedied by reports to GM and the rest probably could have stayed under wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Freke View Post
    You obviously have a problem with the thread starter. You assign intentions to her out of the blue, just to argue. Nothing you said about the OP makes any sense, at all.
    Yes.

And this, apparently, is Civilix's method of argument.

e.g.

So she did make a clear statment of values we should all follow?
    No. I stated she 'articulated' (expressed, put into words, explained) some values and precepts. Neither she nor I stated nor implied that anyone else must follow these. Your inference that we have is assigning motives and coming to conclusions that are not warranted.

To state that one does not enjoy something sort of is the same as complaining...
    Actually, it's not the same. Stating something is good does not render all other forms as bad; saying that one does not enjoy something does not make all other forms good. It's a question of taste where there are as many variations acceptable (and unacceptable) as there are participants. You see Ming-Ming as complaining, I see Ming-Ming as giving context.

it seems like she want to implement values that challenge our freedom to roleplay the way we enjoy And if it is just about the tells the topic is misleading and the post itself sets a really bad example for all of the readers.
    I suppose there is an element here of M-M seeking to encourage this view of RP be advanced - just as you seek to discourage it. It's what people do when they put forth an argument about something.

If the readers find the original post (and any of the following posts) to be a bad example, they will reject it.

it seems like she want to implement values that challenge our freedom to roleplay the way we enjoy
    Are you saying you feel pressured to change the way you roleplay? Did the OP cause this change? If so, wasn't it your own evolving ideas that prompted the change? As I don't see where M-M set forth a dictum restricting players to using only her accepted principles of RP.
    Last edited by Amabala; 23rd August 2014 at 12:58.

To be clear, I was writing up the point of the thread of my OP as a sort of musing on good RP 'netiquette' and as Amabala noted, my recent experiences were there to provide context as to my musings.

I also want to note that it was a post I originally put on my guild's web forum, with the following notation:
    "Just to clarify, I posted this so our players know they do not need to ever feel pressured into RP they don't want to be part of. I will personally back up anyone who wishes to disengage from an RP scene and tell anyone straight out that my guild members are not ever to be leaned on.

If any of you ever have any concerns about being pressured into something you're not comfortable with, please come and see me, and I will take care of it asap."

So it should be noted that the intent of my post was more informative and educational in purpose, as a reminder to my fellow roleplayers that they don't have to buckle when they don't feel comfortable in a given scene.

It may sound odd to some of you, but I have encountered many players in other venues and games that have succumbed to coercive pressure and been upset about it afterwards, put off from 'roleplayers' and labeling them as 'pervs and sickos'. That kind of negative experience I feel only hurts the roleplaying community, and gives everyone involved a bad name. So I felt by writing about the issue, it would encourage some to stick to their boundaries, demonstrate that simply walking away is feasible, and that as a community we should respect the right 'to walk away'.

If a certain someone disagrees with the right to walk away, then I can only conclude as the inverse that they feel that they have the right to coerce, box-in, corner, and otherwise pressure others into doing what they want them to do, which as I understand it, not only violates the TOS, but also undermines the entire social community that is online gaming and roleplaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Civilix View Post
    English is indeed not my primary language, not my secondary either, but i think i understand it well enough to understand what you wanted with the tread.
    In the nicest way possible, no you do not. And it's okay that you don't.

I stopped roleplaying after a few sessions after I tried. While there were wonderful people guiding me, the experience was too slow-paced for me. Also, I had to describe every single action I did like an epic poem, or stay in tavern talking about pointless, boring things, both situations I couldn't stand long enough.

For me, my RP is dressing up in cimmerian clothing and help newbs quest in Conall. They follow my lead, they're usually dressed up with immersion, we fight alongside like a clan, and I have my deal of epicness without having to listen how someone text-fought a legion of giants while drinking ale and pissing all at the same time. It's the adventure-RP I so much want, too sad it's cimmerian based, instead of the aquilonian one I wished, and restricted to conall's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12