Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DtS - Yea or Nay?

Default DtS - Yea or Nay?

I've gotten my Necro to 51, and I was just wondering how viable DtS builds are for both leveling and/or endgame?

I keep reading that the Nightfall tree took nerfs but I never played a necro until now, so all of that kind of goes right over my head.

Does a full caster spec work well for leveling and endgame, or are pet specs just always better?

Thanks.

Well, it is certainly possible to do good damage while in full Nightfall. But DtS x8 makes you less versatile in damage type as everything is frost / unholy, and you can not use pets due to DtS stacking. You would also be fully dependant of spellweaving to do damage on tier with the other dps classes. I do have DtS in my build, for those sixman encounters where pets don't work as well, but in a raid build, I can only see its use in BRC: Wing 1; Sabazios encounter.

DTS is awesome if you're prepared to SW all the time (which you should anyway). And you can't use normal pets but you can still make a ton of parasitic souls.

PS: nightfall spec and DTS spec are 2 different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hersch View Post
    PS: nightfall spec and DTS spec are 2 different things.
    I had this spec in mind when I asked:
    http://goo.gl/Hkp5e

Is that considered "Nightfall" or "DtS"?

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    Well, it is certainly possible to do good damage while in full Nightfall. But DtS x8 makes you less versatile in damage type as everything is frost / unholy, and you can not use pets due to DtS stacking. You would also be fully dependant of spellweaving to do damage on tier with the other dps classes. I do have DtS in my build, for those sixman encounters where pets don't work as well, but in a raid build, I can only see its use in BRC: Wing 1; Sabazios encounter.
    you can use the build he linked lots of places, like first 3 bosses in t4 and entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    I've gotten my Necro to 51, and I was just wondering how viable DtS builds are for both leveling and/or endgame?

I keep reading that the Nightfall tree took nerfs but I never played a necro until now, so all of that kind of goes right over my head.

Does a full caster spec work well for leveling and endgame, or are pet specs just always better?

Thanks.
    for lvling doesnt mater any nab spec will help you reach lvl80.

they nerfed lots of things like dead bodies doing unholy damage but also increased self healing abilities.
    grip of death was a ultra powerfull spell wich alined with getting death god first 2-3 seconds of sw and fact it didnt have line of sight check and everyone didnt have protection gear made it unbelievebly powerfull they nerfed it so badly feating it gimps yourself and makes overall that left down chain of feats leading to shatter a disaster.

pretty much all end feat chains are bad.
    like you can use that build:
    http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v5_1296...45c91443815182
    and it works great.

what you must understand is dps wise pets are better for single target and using 8stack dts makes you better in fights where bosses/mobs have low magic mitigation or you need to do a lot of aoe, or if you need to stay ranged.

each fight is different so you wont get best outcome by using dts in every single fight in pve, but its usuable in most fights.

i use that
    http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v5_1296...5182146f814c08
    and call it an aoe build.
    you need to know fights individualy to know when its best time to use lich given its cooldown 5 minutes you must choose best moment to use it, while tome of erlic just use it off cooldown it slightly increases your dots andevery spell you use most nocibly detonating pb with chill although low it makes a diference.

what you should take care in using dts is for some reason bug or intended each stack of dts will decrease pet damage, so despite getting 100magic damage per stack that damage wont benefit the pets like same stat on your armor/weapons, each stack lowers damage output on pets.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

just embrace multi specs.
    you will do well to have:
    1 dts aoe build
    1 melee pet build
    1 mage pet build
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

For levelling, pets are - in my experience - much more useful than the damage boost granted by DtS. Leveling with DtS is certainly possible, but I'd advise strongly against that.

In Raids, I've never seen a (well plaid) DtS-Necro outdamage a (well plaid) pet necro, but I wouldn't dare to say it wasn't possible in some encounters.

In PvP, DtS is liked by some 'cause you don't have to resummon your pets after respawning. That saves about 16 seconds each time you die. Also, it gives you a great apparent K/D because the way DoTs are factored into the "kill" count.

In raids it's a little group dependent also.. if you have a ToS in group, the damage boost for pets is just hideously stupid.

Exactly.

Recently in a T1 raid, I saw a necro do 77% of his total damage with his melee pets + ToS buffs alone. Made 2nd place in absolutely craptastic equipment. He would have done 77% of his damage with just clicking the "attack" button every once in a while.

A random T1 raid is hardly a benchmark, and we don't know that he could have achieved with a DtS spec. But it gives an impression of what the combination ToS + melee pet Necro can achieve.

So... do a pet spec first. If you ever get bored with that, try out DtS. Than switch back to pets.

its not just tos.
    conq crit buffs make pets do more crits too
    demo buffs up necro+pets
    barb buffs up melee pets
    a pom giving you blesing of mitra(extra sweet for entity)

all of them combined and pet necro can do reliably 2300 dps while a dts necro can reach around 1750-1900 single target on a normal mitigation boss with both sw and using proper rotation.

it doesnt matter nature of fight is what you should think to choose wich spec to use.

you can reach extremely high dps in aoe fights using dts based builds.

ps: just to not confuse poster, you can have nightfall pet specs like these:
    http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v5_1296...5182146f814c08

http://joharaoc.eu/feat?link=v5_1291...5182146f814c08

with heavy nf feats and intended on using pets.
    FORUM PVP LVL 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast