Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conan Movie - Iron Shadows

Meh, Conan to me will always look like Arnold, he was the original screen version and he was my first introduction to Conan when I saw the 1982 Conan the Barbarian.

Momoa was ok, I guess, but I thought he was a bit too small for the part.

Same for this new guy, I expect my Conan to be a bit beefier.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Meh, Conan to me will always look like Arnold, he was the original screen version and he was my first introduction to Conan when I saw the 1982 Conan the Barbarian.

Momoa was ok, I guess, but I thought he was a bit too small for the part.

Same for this new guy, I expect my Conan to be a bit beefier.
    Apparently 'this guy' is a midget =D And they've ackowledged that and done 'some things' to alleviate that. How far they've gone (probably not to Lord of the Rings hobbit next to human levels).

The number of people who were upset Conan didn't look like arny when AoC was released was phenominal. Seemingly no one knew Conan was born in the 30's, not the 80's =D

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    Agreed. Out of all actors I like this one best. If he also can act (better than Arnold anyway) he will be best Conan we got so far.
    You're not setting the bar to high then =D

Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    Apparently 'this guy' is a midget =D And they've ackowledged that and done 'some things' to alleviate that. How far they've gone (probably not to Lord of the Rings hobbit next to human levels).

The number of people who were upset Conan didn't look like arny when AoC was released was phenominal. Seemingly no one knew Conan was born in the 30's, not the 80's =D
    Well, for most people, the first version of Conan they have actually "seen" was Arnold in the 1982 movie, even though Conan existed in stories from the 30's.

I will use James Bond as another example. Ian Fleming wrote Bond novels a few years before the first few movies came out. For me and a lot of other people, James Bond to us will always be Sean Connery. He was the first Bond, thus he is the prototype Bond for all the others. All the other actors that played Bond just weren't the same, though I think Pierce Brosnan's Bond was pretty good, as well as Daniel Craig's Bond reboot. But Connery will always be the "Alpha Bond" just like many consider Arnold as the "Alpha Conan", the others just aren't up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Well, for most people, the first version of Conan they have actually "seen" was Arnold in the 1982 movie, even though Conan existed in stories from the 30's.

I will use James Bond as another example. Ian Fleming wrote Bond novels a few years before the first few movies came out. For me and a lot of other people, James Bond to us will always be Sean Connery. He was the first Bond, thus he is the prototype Bond for all the others. All the other actors that played Bond just weren't the same, though I think Pierce Brosnan's Bond was pretty good, as well as Daniel Craig's Bond reboot. But Connery will always be the "Alpha Bond" just like many consider Arnold as the "Alpha Conan", the others just aren't up to snuff.

I understand this =D It's a childhood upbringing thing, fond memories and all.

And Bond was based on himself. At least, who Ian wanted to be. THAT was a slap in the face to find out. Makes sense though; Bond as we know him is not really the kind of bloke to go writing about his awesome ahvencha's and Ian had a desk job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellaus View Post
    a northern savage Khal Drogo.

Apart from the very first Conan movie, no director had any clue at all about what Conan is and about the kind of world Hyboria should be.
    Khal Drogo was more lean, wiry and fast than overly muscled, as far as i remember the books, not even as large as Jason Mamoa. (i stopped reading the books as there was too much drama, no tempo, also stopped watching series for same reason.)

Conan is large, hairy chested, well muscled but still agile. Not sure what is a good example of this, maybe some sportsmen, rugby player, amer football player, ninja warrior, wrestler or something like that. Maybe more like some of the guys playing in the history channel vikings series.
    Last edited by ArcaneScientius; 11th June 2014 at 05:34.
    In balance with this life, this death
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    -- Jansensen, Gunderman fighter {max taps - RiP}
    CQB Ranger

If I had a trillion dollars and a thousand years to spend...

I'd do a Conan movie with Danny DeVito or Joe Pesci as Conan, set in the time after he took the throne of Aquilonia.

It'd be a story about a man whose legend is greater than the man himself, highlighting Conan's cunning and brutality instead of sheer physical strength.

It'd be a movie about an aging hero, that has to take up arms again to prove himself once again, to show people what sparked the legends about him.

It'd be a tale about how cunning overpowers strength, how manipulation beats fighting, how stealth overtakes a direct charge.

My Conan would make people overestimate him, fear him, so that he doesn't actually has to fight all that much.

He'd not be inspired by dreams about an uneducated immigrant conquering a nation by sheer strength, but by confidence tricksters doing the three cups and ball routine, by mafia enforcers who extort money by intimidation, by outsiders not bound by society's rules, but playing them against the society they long to be a part of.

Sadly, I neither have a trillion dollars nor a thousand years to spend. But well, a man can dream... a man can dream.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

A stuntman from 300 shoots a fantasy epic with his guido gym buddies on a shoestring budget? I fail to see this being anything but painfully horrendous. But hey, it's a "Conan" movie..

For all my love for Arnold, I hate the fact that since his escapades as "the barbarian", Conan has become the measuring stick for fake tanned beefcakes and chest shavers. Please leave Conan alone qq.

Hey, if it's bad, we don't loose anything, if it's good, it'll be fun and maybe a promotion for AoC, and if it's horribly bad, it might at least be hilarious.

And about the budget: Look at how great some fan movies are nowadays. Iron Shadows at least is produced with a budget at all AND people who've got experience in the movie business. The people doing the movie sound like they love what they're doing, and that makes up for a lot of money sometimes.
    Filming in Asia might give them a lot of film for their (investors') buck. Conan the Barbarian was, as far as I understand, low budget for its time, too - and today, a dollar can buy more or better things in some cases.

For comparison: The last "official" Conan movie was, in my opinion, completely unremarkable. I've seen it three times by now, but I still don't remember what the story was or more than maybe two or three scenes. But it didn't hurt, either.
    Make Hyboria raid again!

Khaletoheps AoC-Youtube-Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Khaletohep

Guides zu Klassen & allen HM-Solo-Inis:
    http://www.nachtwind-gilde.com/guide...-age-of-conan/

Yeah Asia was a good pick, and maybe because of the price, they picked the story for the locale?

Jungle and cheap =D

I think some people were actually expecting it to be a Z-grader, like those movies that come out trying to be B-grade, but intentionally taking the piss from themselves because they know they're not budgetted to complete some scenes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast