Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Made a barb, would like some gear/aa/feat advice

For purposes of leveling up the class, I'd go for Berserker tree since good gear for Barbarians while leveling is rare, and the light armor set from armorsmiths are meant for pom and tos.

Stay away from Devastatoin, Eyes of Madness, Sever and Predatory Instincts, rest of feats are ok. Try to not spend a lot of points in feats that increase combo damage by a certain %, you won't get much return for those points, it is better to get utility in form of survivability or crowd controls.

Buildwise, this is a nice starting build for HMs. http://is.gd/4PGAjT

Drop Atrocity when you get Without Warning. Drop Toughness if you feel you don't need it.

On the leveling up build go down Berserker and get Earth Shatter. After that you could go deeper Berserker and gain a few seconds on Stunning Punch, and some more survivability. Decapitation is a nice combo too which when used against an unshielded side can deliver a huge hit. Alternatives when you have reached Earth Shatter is going Reaver to get +25% weapon damage and Blitz to have a charge. After that, Reaver is kinda crap until you get the lvl 60 feats Impale and Shrapnel. Dance of Death and Armageddon Falls are very good too.

Depends how agile you are. If you learn to move while fighting, using crowd controls and using the weak shield sides of mobs, you can do good with the old hybrid spec: http://is.gd/4nVmzu which allows you to have fully feated Blood Rage when you need that healing, and fully feated Reaver when you need that damage.

A lot of options really. But as said, key to being a good Barbarian is moving and using / abusing shield mechanics of mobs and bosses.
    Last edited by Shax84; 17th February 2014 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    And also you gain 550 armour from the increased strength stats on Hyrkanian set. Depends how skilled you are, what playstyle you are pursuing, and if you are set be a glass cannon or not.
    My barbs hp in full tiger....6.7k.. I really regrett my choise.

Barb is one of the funnest class's in the game. Don't listen to people who scream "Roll Conq", as both are similar on play style, there are a few small differences that "imo" make it more fun to play.

Yes, yes you will see that pure dps wise, Conq's have an edge etc. Point made, but if you can get past the small class balance issues, it's a pretty kick ass class to play and have fun. Plus it's always fun to roll a class in game that's not the strongest and still destroy other people on the parse with it.

http://is.gd/zSie73

Use Google Chrome to copy this into for search engine, windows doesn't work for some reason.

Above is a build I use on my barb, does great dps. Alongside having CTR, wiles, trickery etc.

As far as AA's to use etc.

Slots 1
    Pressing, Decisive,
    Slots 2
    Liberation, Flanking/Tainted weapons,
    Slots 3
    Without Warning, Upheavel

My rotation is simple as well.

Start with Wreck armor 4
    Jagged Cut 2
    Upheavel
    Wreck Armor 3
    Upheavel
    Wreck Armor 4 or 2 What ever is available on cool down
    Upheavel
    Jagged Cut 2

Rinse and repeat!
    Guards: Schou/Schoujr, DT: Mycroch, Conq: Kenfast, Barb: Sonofcronus, Sin's: Crazyassin/Daggerdick, Hox: Scorchnburn, Demo: Touchofdeath, Tos: Enslaveu, BS: Meballs

Bear this in mind when choosing ranks on Jagged Cut.

[18:41] Your Jagged Cut III hits Straw Man for 242 slashing damage.
    [18:41] Your Jagged Cut IV hits Straw Man for 265 slashing damage.
    [18:42] Your Bone Shatter hits Straw Man for 311 slashing damage.

Thats the damage over time component. Didn't test JCII but it's probably even lower. In AoE fights that makes a huge difference.

For purposes of leveling up the class, I'd go for Berserker tree since good gear for Barbarians while leveling is rare
    It's funny, I had the exact opposite impression on my pom - the light armour you get while leveling is all barb gear

@Shax84, @kennyfisterbotm, thanks a ton for the builds - gonna try them out when I reach 80. One thing I noticed about both your builds though, was that you go for the +armor feats in the general tree, instead of the +protection feat. Is there any reason for this? I mean provided you don't pull aggro, most of the damage you take in dungeons and raids will be magical, no? For instance, Louhi's aoe damage, Thoth's corpse explosions, sisters enrage damage in Malice, Yang Weh Yah's dots in Ai...

Also came up with a couple of questions about stats... Though I've only done MC so far, I hear that hit is very important in T4 (and presumably future top-tier content). On my hox I have 19% hit which I think is way overkill, especially since I don't even have the last rank of pressing strikes trained, but someone in my guild mentioned at some point that sins need 21-22% hit in T4 (I think).

The barb also being a rogue and a dualweilder, is the same steep hit requirement the case for barb? Any % to shoot for, or are you covered with just tigers armor + pressing strikes?

Also, it seems like for most classes, at least hox, tos, dt, crit is the most important stat. For hox it seems stat hierarchy goes something like crit > m. dmg./m. dmg. fire > int > str/cr/cr (2h) > cr (fire) etc, without considering hit and crit dmg. Is there something similar for barb, or is it less complex? Just crit > str/any kind of cr?

You only really need 15% hit rating, same for everyone, so any class decked in khitan gear or T3.5/4 got way more hit rating than needed.

Quote Originally Posted by uncreativex View Post
    It's funny, I had the exact opposite impression on my pom - the light armour you get while leveling is all barb gear
    The light armor crafted gear from base armorsmith recipes have gemslots that match bad with Barbarians. Afaik there is only the yellow slot ones with wisdom base attribute. Barbs will do more damage if gearing up with the assassin cloth with green gem slots.

Quote Originally Posted by uncreativex View Post
    @Shax84, @kennyfisterbotm, thanks a ton for the builds - gonna try them out when I reach 80. One thing I noticed about both your builds though, was that you go for the +armor feats in the general tree, instead of the +protection feat. Is there any reason for this? I mean provided you don't pull aggro, most of the damage you take in dungeons and raids will be magical, no? For instance, Louhi's aoe damage, Thoth's corpse explosions, sisters enrage damage in Malice, Yang Weh Yah's dots in Ai...
    You gain 221 protection from 5 points and I think it is a poor return. In protection fights you may spec that one, but Arcane Marauder, Enhanced Sidesteps, Chromatic Warding and Arcane Plunder will help a lot too.

About the damage you list up there it's only at Louhi you really need the protection. The Commander in Ai can be done without any more than 1x stack and the stacks are also % based of your health so a million protection would not reduce it. His Frost Cleave though, that will help with Protection. Sisters in Malice aren't suppose to do the AoE, and Thoth's Corpses have been removed 2/3 of them so you will never take more than one hit of 3,5-4k max.

The light armor crafted gear from base armorsmith recipes have gemslots that match bad with Barbarians. Afaik there is only the yellow slot ones with wisdom base attribute. Barbs will do more damage if gearing up with the assassin cloth with green gem slots.
    I see, good to know though I don't expect to use crafted gear other than maybe accessories

You gain 221 protection from 5 points and I think it is a poor return. About the damage you list up there it's only at Louhi you really need the protection. The Commander in Ai can be done without any more than 1x stack and the stacks are also % based of your health so a million protection would not reduce it. His Frost Cleave though, that will help with Protection. Sisters in Malice aren't suppose to do the AoE, and Thoth's Corpses have been removed 2/3 of them so you will never take more than one hit of 3,5-4k max.
    Wow had no idea about Ai being % based - super-pissed that I've been refused groups to there because of not having 10%+ resistance on my hox now lol. I know for a fact that Thoth's corpses don't work like you say though - I've several times (very recently) gotten 2x explosions, and on one memorable occassion 3x at once which one-shot me.

Anyhow, about low returns for the feat points - even if that's the case, isn't a little better than some armour that won't make a difference anywhere? I mean, the only places I can think of where there's an aoe I know is physical rather than magical, is Keeper and Arbanus (maybe Gyas' Whirlwind I guess), and those aren't supposed to hit the dps, and even if they do, they probably won't kill you.

I don't know, maybe dying to aoe is more of an issue for hoxes than barbs, since barbs have naturally more hp...

Of course in a pure raid spec you wont need the armour.

If you get more than one corpse explotion you are standing at the wrong spot or the corpse bugged, exploding more than once. Anyway, adding const accessories for that part is more effective than a few hundred protection giving 3% less damage.
    Last edited by Shax84; 17th February 2014 at 17:12.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast