Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanking and defensive abilities

CoP used to be good, but it was 4 years ago.
    Nowadays, a tank get so much more healing and support that CoP is no longer a game changer when it comes to surviving.

But tbh this is a moot point, in any HM, pug or not, if a dt runs with CoP he does not have aggro, so he can't tank.

What makes Flame boss hitting like a truck for you is when he crits you two or three times in a row.

With only one point in elusive nature and no/few gear with critigation, that equals >3k hits 3 times in a row. Though some can tank him with no critigation gear but that requires good gear good dps and healer to heal you up and bubble boss fast.

Imo you should get gear with critigation some khitai blues are close to low tier gear and have critigation on the side, max your elusive nature asap and slot it for flame, train forced engage asap if you haven't cuz it gives passive critig chance. I personally start using MB only when I have all my combos hitting top side on cd.

And yea using one build for all around tanking doesn't make sense anymore move points from protection to improved defensive for physical tanking. As your gear gets better you can start removing points from IDS and use it elsewhere helping you with more dmg/taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Karyana View Post
    Hi there. I've been gearing up my DT lately to be better at tanking HM's and hopefully manage to solotank at some point.
    I'm having some issues with the defensive part of my DT. I seem to take alot more damage than similar geared characters, which makes me suspect I'm doing something wrong.

My current gear:
    T1 helmet, wrist
    T2 pants, gloves, chest, boots
    General's Armguards of the Watchtowers
    Wolf's belt of the grasslands
    Black Dragon Cloak
    Grim Grey God magic damage/crit ring
    Dreamer's Keepsake w/ magic damage gem
    Eye of the Watcher w/ magic damage gem
    Blade of the fallen king
    Gorgula's Shield

This gives me a total of 51.4% mitigation

I'm using Sidar's general tanking build: Click

Rotation:
    LL V - MB V - Asfof IV - LL IV - MB IV - BfA V
    UB is cast whenever there's room for it or if MB is interrupted.

I always keep Zone of Gluttony up and I try to cast asfof to keep the buff. I use Soul Barrier when I take heavy damage and Cunning Deflection if there's a big hit incoming.

AA's:
    Pressing Strikes 2
    Decisive Strikes 3
    Elusive Nature 1
    Empowered Irritate 2
    Vitality 2
    Void of Madness

My main focus is to train PS, DS and EN to get crit and critigation.

Is there something I'm doing seriously wrong when bosses in dungeons like flames, vortex and palace HM hit me like trucks?
    Is your mitigation above 50%? (better above 50.5 or something like that).
    If not, feat at least Iron Skin from general, and if your tanking with tali, also Improved Defencive Stance.
    Retired nab.. once it was Korando (PvP 10 BS), Andromaeda (PvP 10 Sin), Calore (PvP 10 Demo) and minions...

Quote Originally Posted by Calore View Post
    Is your mitigation above 50%? (better above 50.5 or something like that).
    Well, it's written in the post you quoted :

"This gives me a total of 51.4% mitigation"

So I don't think it's the problem, 51.4% is pretty good to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedelyia View Post
    Well, it's written in the post you quoted :

"This gives me a total of 51.4% mitigation"

So I don't think it's the problem, 51.4% is pretty good to begin with
    Yeah, sorry didn't notice.
    That's definitely not the problem then.
    Retired nab.. once it was Korando (PvP 10 BS), Andromaeda (PvP 10 Sin), Calore (PvP 10 Demo) and minions...

Quote Originally Posted by Karyana View Post
    Grim Grey God magic damage/crit ring
    Dreamer's Keepsake w/ magic damage gem
    Eye of the Watcher w/ magic damage gem
    No str accesories for the extra armor? First learn to tank with "classic" str accessories and only if u feel comfortable enough try to add wisdom/magic damage ones. No wonder you go down with 51% mitigation and T1/T2 gear which has really crap DPS so taps will also be very low with general DS tanking build.
    Emirri - Dark Templar
    Naerri - Herald of Xotli, Arrienne, Argene, Barbeena, Conqubinne, Shaniz, Shinzei, Laylani and Dorela

So much misinformation in this thread. 51% mitigation is why you get wrecked in ROF, it's way too low. Seems like some who are commenting don't know or can't remember what tanking with crap gear is like (it's pretty big difference going from T2 level to half tigers/half battlements or whatever).

For a start make a physical spec and a protection spec (get improved defensive to boost your mitigation). Get str accessories instead of the bad magic ones (you can switch stuff out later when your gear isn't as bad, but I still like str better). And with the gear you have ignore anyone who says go tali for dungeons, that's just gonna fail hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hersch View Post
    So much misinformation in this thread. 51% mitigation is why you get wrecked in ROF, it's way too low. Seems like some who are commenting don't know or can't remember what tanking with crap gear is like (it's pretty big difference going from T2 level to half tigers/half battlements or whatever).

For a start make a physical spec and a protection spec (get improved defensive to boost your mitigation). Get str accessories instead of the bad magic ones (you can switch stuff out later when your gear isn't as bad, but I still like str better). And with the gear you have ignore anyone who says go tali for dungeons, that's just gonna fail hard.
    I'm pretty sure with a DPS spec you can wear full tigers gear and do the same amount of DPS than someone in a clown suit. I leave any 6-man group I join when I see a DT clown, it's such a waste of a spot.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Vahush View Post
    With only one point in elusive nature and no/few gear with critigation, that equals >3k hits 3 times in a row. Though some can tank him with no critigation gear but that requires good gear good dps and healer to heal you up and bubble boss fast.

Imo you should get gear with critigation some khitai blues are close to low tier gear and have critigation on the side, max your elusive nature asap
    I agree. More critigation fm gear should help you suvive rotgs content. Maybe some more str too.
    In balance with this life, this death
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    -- Jansensen, Gunderman fighter {max taps - RiP}
    CQB Ranger

I'm the worst tank in the server so my opinion is not worth a crap but here it goes. The only thing you have to do to improve your survival chances is let the other tanks get the agro when you can't hold the boss hits. Solotanking is not the way as this game was intended.
    -> DT:Stiraqvcrn; Necro:Munyidora; ToS:Stiraqvaa; Guard:Stirameco; BS: Stiraqcanya, ...

If you see one Stira wipeing a group or a raid Its me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12