Thread: apply system tweaker

Question apply system tweaker

http://oi39.tinypic.com/11rpu34.jpg
    Does anyone know what is this option, included in the patcher's options ?

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpos...26&postcount=1

Quote Originally Posted by Tarib View Post
    You may notice a file called ConanSystemTweaker.exe included in this update. This tool tunes Windows file cache size in a way that makes it work more efficiently with large files. By default, Windows file cache is unlimited on 64-bit systems, and that can make it grow infinitely and fill up all available physical RAM when actively accessing large files. By setting its upper limit, we ensure that the player always has physical memory available for AoC and other applications, without sacrificing performance. A check will be done every time a patcher is started, to determine whether to use the tool or not. In most cases, this tool will be run only the first time you boot.
    Operator irc.funcom.com:6667 #ageofconan #thesecretworld
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the world asunder
    Dysphoria - Murky Templar - Icoyce - Herald of the Black Kraken - Eriphyle - Shebearman

I haven't noticed this until recently, anyway, thank for the answer.

I still don't know how I feel about this ... I would prefer AoC to use as much of my memory as possible ... sounds like a better fix (although more expensive) would just be to buy more RAM (so use 12 or 16 instead of 4 or 8)
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Quote Originally Posted by Petridish View Post
    I still don't know how I feel about this ... I would prefer AoC to use as much of my memory as possible ... sounds like a better fix (although more expensive) would just be to buy more RAM (so use 12 or 16 instead of 4 or 8)
    I suggest to read again what has been quoted and was written by Tarib.

The tweaker tries to achieve exactly what you would prefer.
    It changes a setting in 64-Bit Windows and by this keeps it from wasting memory for caching so that enough memory stays available to AOC and other applications.

If you add more memory to the system you just buy some more time till the memory is exhausted by Windows caching mechanism. So adding more memory does fix nothing!

It has to do with the large ressource files used by AOC and the way 64-Bit Windows handles access to these files in terms of caching. 64-Bit Windows by default is configured to handle these like a server (file cache is unlimited) and not a desktop system (file cache is limited). That's why the problem did not arise on Windows XP 32-Bit for example.
    Last edited by Leif0311; 22nd January 2014 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Petridish View Post
    Even if you did have 16gb of RAM in your box and you ran a 64-bit OS capable of addressing it all, you'd still hit one major hurdle: The AoC-client is, as far as I know, a 32-bit application and is thus limited to around 3gb of RAM.
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bukkithedd View Post
    Even if you did have 16gb of RAM in your box and you ran a 64-bit OS capable of addressing it all, you'd still hit one major hurdle: The AoC-client is, as far as I know, a 32-bit application and is thus limited to around 3gb of RAM.
    It can have 3GB of memory loaded into it *at any one time* (i.e. it's an addressing limit), sure ... but having that amount of RAM means you have other caching mechanisms available to you to prevent it needing to reload ... that coupled with an SSD to reduce the initial load time = win?
    Last edited by Petridish; 28th January 2014 at 07:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif0311 View Post
    If you add more memory to the system you just buy some more time till the memory is exhausted by Windows caching mechanism. So adding more memory does fix nothing!
    It fixes it for all intents and purposes provided you have enough RAM available to be consumed for the duration you play AoC ... which is what I was suggesting.

I wonder how long it would take for AoC to exhaust 16GB RAM? It takes quite a while to exhaust 8GB RAM (Khitai managed to do it quite well if I remember correctly, and was the original driver for them coming up with this 'fix').