Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: so what is this heal spec I keep hearing about?

Default so what is this heal spec I keep hearing about?

I keep reading in multiple topics about people using a healing spec as opposed to a dps one. But wtf is this healing spec? I can fit all heals worth speccing into the 'dps' spec. Are people really giving up mutilation for +6.5% boost to your blue heal? Come on now.
    Baneric / Munok / Johnkruk / Tomjones / Elgranorgo

US first kills - Arch Lector Zaal, Bat of Nerd Rage, Emperor, Cloud, and Entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock25 View Post
    I keep reading in multiple topics about people using a healing spec as opposed to a dps one. But wtf is this healing spec? I can fit all heals worth speccing into the 'dps' spec. Are people really giving up mutilation for +6.5% boost to your blue heal? Come on now.
    Everytime I hear of a healer saying they are using a "heal spec", I just want to go punch a baby or something. Saying you are heal spec is stupid. If you are not running with a full dps build and can't fit in blue/greens/big heals as needed, you really need to work on your playstyle.

I also don't know what is this healing spec - hence my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock25 View Post
    Yes, my heal spec is pretty much that.

Plus when I use it, I tend to switch to gear with higher +heal rating and use a +heal mace. I will also likely switch out Vision of the Sky for Sleuth or Tree and use my AA heal a lot. (My AA heal in the +heal gear I have now heals for as much - sometimes more - as my big heal does.) A 'heal spec' to me means doing all that. My dps spec means I stay in Tigers/T4 gear and run with Vision of the Sky.

I presently use 'heal spec' only for Sheng, Emperor and Entity, but it was what I used during the progression period of learning T4. If necessary, I'll switch to it when healing a pug group or raid.

Certainly, I could/should be contributing more dps on Sheng and Emperor. But as Sheng often has a tank kiting arrows well out of my blue heal range, I will spam a 2nd blue as soon as he returns to the tank ball. Yeah, it's just 13 points more per tick but they add up over the length of the fight. On Emperor, waiting for the Golem spawn or MA to fire before tipping the fight to the Illusions means I may not be dps-ing part of the time anyway. And I will certainly pop a blue at my own pool, and then likely spam another when I sprint to a different pool when we see where the real Illusion is.

On Entity, my dps is irrelevant - we're keeping the boss occupied, not trying to kill it. Using a heal spec makes tons more sense to me.

I'm sure your play is superior. I probably should skip using a heal spec and improve my dps and would still be a competent healer but it works for me to play this way.

Let your toses do blues with Faithful of Set if you wanna improve blueheals.
    You're the only healer in the raid spamming blues? How about raidleader assign proper healers.

Link your spec if you don't mind. I do the same, for first kills I specialize my build to increase our chances, like before Emperor nerf I used Ironhide to tank out MAs, or at Entity stop the Vortex if a ToS wasn't there. Never know about peoples ability to fullfill their duties, but blue heal spamming? Come on

I parsed "healing spec" and the cookie cutter multilation spec many times over and the only conclusion I could come up with was that feating for extra blue heals is an absolute waste of 200+ dps.

I am forced to go heal spec due to RL requirements and outside of having a bubble I don't really see the point of feating an extra 6.5% blue heal that'll get ovewritten by blue heal spamming PoM's and ToS as soon as I finish casting it. Even feating mani of regrowth isn't really worth it unless you're assigned to heal tanks. It roughly amounts as a 2nd green heal, the same heal volume that could be obtained going mutilation spec if u feat bloodthirst.

Swapping for + healrating gear is more than enough to compensate on heal intensive encounters which, like mentioned above, are pretty much General Sheng and Emperor. But again it comes down to what the Raid Leaders and Group set ups require you to spec for.

This is ofc speaking strictly from a PvE perspective.

Just something to add, I find my play changes when I'm in dps spec vs heal spec. Part of it is my own mindset, part is the greater strength of the AAs that come with my gear switch I do when changing between the two.

When I'm in my dps spec, I rotate Sun and Forest, using Spirit if needed. I don't have Tree or Sleuth as I've slotted Vision of the Sky. I'm mostly keeping my blue and green running, and if things are going south I will go to the big - which just might be on cd because my classmate used hers already. If so, I'll use my AA, but it's a massive mana drain for the healing it does when in dps spec.

When I'm in my heal spec, I'm usually on main tanks, so I put Regrowth into my manifestation rotation as I'm thinking 'healer' not 'dps-er'. I will use Tree or Sleuth, whichever was wisest to have slotted, early in the fight so that it will be off cd for a second (and maybe third) time before we're done. It will be fairly strong too as I will be wearing +heal gear. I will go to my AA heal first as it tends to be as good as my big and likely won't be on cd. And other than range limitations will be a better heal to use as it won't put my classmate's big on cd too. The mana cost per heal is worth it to me then.

So you can probably see that I'm not a min-max player. I read parses when other players post theirs; I don't run my own parse.

As I said before, I may not be a superior player, but this works for me.

Yes, alot of things work in this game. Like DTs without VoM. They work... But barely so
    (you are tickeling my elitist nerves badly here...)

Forest manifestation in rotation? Why. You are in a raid. Plenty other classes will apply the wrack continuously.
    Don't overlook Spirit manifestation. Spirit manifestation has a very unique defensive component unlike anything else in this game currently. I hope you have Ursine Spirit feated, so stop overlooking this!

Your mentality isn't bad Amabala, but you seem to be lacking some wisdom.
    Don't read the healparsers. They are a joke, the sooner you realise this the better. If you're interested to see who's healing "the most" or "best" you need to look at each individual healer and check additional healing besides blues, greens and bigs. Tanks will always have these heals no matter what, so they don't count! Here which group you're in comes into play, as some heals only are groupwide and it'll cripple healpotential in raids unfortunately.

Hope to see your spec too. I'll try help if you want. It's better to stay on forums instead of play this game these days!

I was always under the impression that *all* healers should be running DPS specs ... because healing in this game is such a minor part and essentially a part-time job ...
    Drunkskunk (Sin) - Petridish (ToS) - Gwarnath (BS) - Tomatohawk (DT)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast