Thread: Box for Conan

Default Box for Conan

Hi ,
    Box with A10 7850k + R9 290 + 16 GB 2400MHz RAM will be enough to play Conan with full graphic options > 60fps?

B rgds
    O.

That depends entirely on areas, number of players, distance settings and particle settings.

In lobbies you would probably push 200 fps but with World Bosses you would stick around 20-30ish. Best guess only..

I have an i7 4770K @4ghz, same ram, and an AMD HD7950. Right now in Warmonks lobby, I get 160 fps. Outside Warmonks where you take quest for Vortex, looking down above Northern Grasslands, I get 45-55 fps. Turning around again, looking into the wall, I get 70-80 fps.

The game is more hungry for proper CPU power than GPU power. With my old C2D E8400 clocked to 4,5ghz replaced by this new one I got now, my FPS doubled, while I got neglible fps difference while replacing the HD4870 GPU with the HD7950. The biggest difference there was that I could play DX10 with same settings as DX9 which I could not with the old GPU.

Wow, so what processor should be best?
    This game is 6y old and i7 is nor enough... amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ossur View Post
    Wow, so what processor should be best?
    This game is 6y old and i7 is nor enough... amazing.
    The game wasn't written to take advantage of multiple cores.

With an i7, 16 gb ram, high end video card, and SSD, you shouldn't have to turn any particles off for raids, but WB may get laggy.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Wouldn't a i5 cpu be enough? It was my impression that the i7 was good for major multi-tasking and maybe big time photoshop users but for a pure gaming rig the i5 is all that is needed.
    Are there any games out there, even in development, that use more than 2 cores?

Quote Originally Posted by kinlock View Post
    Wouldn't a i5 cpu be enough? It was my impression that the i7 was good for major multi-tasking and maybe big time photoshop users but for a pure gaming rig the i5 is all that is needed.
    Yes it would. I was able in the past to get same performance with an i5.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

I'm using an Intel I7 4790K and AMD Radeon R9 290 and not seeing 60fps in many situations. I also don't see below 30 fps even in raids with all particle turned on, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kinlock View Post
    Right now I think Crysis 3 and Watch Dogs use more than 4 cores. Elder Scrolls Online looked like it did as well. As more console games are ported over, you'll see more 8 core games, since XB1 and PS4 both use 8 core processors. DirectX 12 and Mantle are also more CPU focused APIs and will take advantage of multiple cores.
    Last edited by TeamVernia; 23rd July 2014 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    The game wasn't written to take advantage of multiple cores.

With an i7, 16 gb ram, high end video card, and SSD, you shouldn't have to turn any particles off for raids, but WB may get laggy.
    On Windows 7 Age of Conan certainly uses all cores about equally for me. I believe the problems with FPS drops are riddled deep within the Dreamworld Engine, and a lot of them are to do with anti aliasing (flickering on some machines), and name tags (extreme fps loss when over 40 nametags on the screen concurrently - NPC, Pets, players combined), and collision and path prediction (running off cliffs, or into death areas like lava, falling off the edge in entity when everyone moves forward at the same time).

A reasonable machine like a moderately high end I5 with 8GB RAM, and a $250 video card with 1.5GB RAM will play this game very well, and will show almost no difference at all to a machine with 3+ times more powerful specs and price. Such a machine can be easily purchased for less than $1250.

If the code is optimized, then a better machine could make a difference, but with Funcoms short staffing and no sign of new games utilizing the same engine, we aren't likely to see those optimizations.
    Last edited by Scaevacas; 24th July 2014 at 09:45.
    Requiem Nex Combat Monitor | Options not Saving temporary Fix
    Can Devs please fix:
    • new ressurections resetting the currently selected ressurect position
    • loot timeout windows disappearing before progress bar completes when box hasn't been opened quickly

Question

Hey everyone, I have what I consider a quite powerful PC, the base components being: i7-2700K, 2x8GB 1333MHz of Patriot RAM, Vapor-X R9 270X 2GB and WD Black magnetic HDD.

So, I maxed out all video options - and by 'all' I mean including all distance sliders as well - and for the most part the game runs very smoothly, BUT in some cases there are extreme FPS drops (I believe well below 20) like while entering a very densely populated town or turning camera around a lot, or sometimes without any apparent reason.

My question is - what would be the 'dream' PC for Age of Conan, that could handle the game maxed out with constant 60 FPS with v-sync no matter what?

Quote Originally Posted by Spysk View Post
    Hey everyone, I have what I consider a quite powerful PC, the base components being: i7-2700K, 2x8GB 1333MHz of Patriot RAM, Vapor-X R9 270X 2GB and WD Black magnetic HDD.

So, I maxed out all video options - and by 'all' I mean including all distance sliders as well - and for the most part the game runs very smoothly, BUT in some cases there are extreme FPS drops (I believe well below 20) like while entering a very densely populated town or turning camera around a lot, or sometimes without any apparent reason.

My question is - what would be the 'dream' PC for Age of Conan, that could handle the game maxed out with constant 60 FPS with v-sync no matter what?
    I could honestly build a tower that costed 24,000 USD.

But to be a little simpler, I would do an i7-4930k. 24 GB RAM. SSD and a GTX Titan Z. Lol, you didnt say cheap. :P
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids