Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor Screen Turns Black within 15 Minutes of Login Every Day

Update: After I changed the PCI Express setting under Power Settings to Off, the problem seems to be resolved. I have been logged into the game for over 30 minutes, and there is no black screen so far. I am also running the AOC client in Full Windowed Mode, so this step may be necessary as well.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I hope this sticks.
    Guild 'House Jade Asp' - PvE server

Sounds weird, I'm thinking overheated GPU. Check for dust on the fins on your graphics card cooler, and if the fan(s) are running as they should.

Download CUPID HWMonitor, this will aid you on checking temperatures and fan speeds.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Overheating Graphics Card does sound like a likely problem when related to Black Screens crashing your computer. Even if that isn't your specific problem, it is good to know you PC is sitting at good temperatures when running intensive tasks. Staying at too high a temperature can cause hardware to fail and need replaced.

Hopefully you got it fixed. I'm gonna toss this in though as I experienced something similar recently. While it makes no sense to me perhaps it'll help someone else.

Firstly I have two installs of AoC, one for Live and one for Test. Not long ago the Live install began to randomly lose signal to the monitor which would go off as if the computer had been turned off even though it hadn't. Everything was still running but with a blank, black screen that could not be recovered from. This was only in AoC and became worse and worse, happening ever more quickly each time until finally I wasn't even able to log in and claim the daily reward. At this point after the monitor would lose the signal it would then come back on to a jumbled screen that very much resembled overheating or a failing video card or power supply. Also the patcher would not even run. It would go straight to the login screen with truncated buttons and say there was no network connection if I tried to log in.

After checking for overheating, etc, none of which seemed to be a problem I switched the LocalConfig.xml on the Test install to point to Live, patched it up and... it worked perfectly. Every time over a few days. Now thinking my Live install was perhaps corrupted I noticed my shortcut to it was still using the DX10.exe instead of ConanPatcher.exe from back in the day when you had to start the game with the DX10.exe if you wanted to use DX10. Of course my Test install was also set up like that and it worked... but I went ahead and changed it back to Conanpatcher.exe, tried it and... it said LocalConfig.xml could not be found. Ah ha. Well, the file was there but the patcher wasn't seeing it for whatever reason. Overwrote it with the Localconfig.xml from the other install and it's worked perfectly ever since. Only a few days now but hey... Was to the point where I couldn't even get logged in before. Wish I had thought to open the non-working LocalConfig in Notepad or whatever to see if something had happened to it but oh well. Like I said, makes no sense that the LocalConfig.xml file could cause that... but there it is.

After more research and troubleshooting on my computer, I believe I have solved the black screen issue. Accumulated dust inside my Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card was most likely the culprit.

I opened up the PC, blew everything out with canned air, and then removed the graphics card. I opened up the graphics card (removing the heat sink at its bottom), and blew everything out again with canned air (there was quite a bit of dust inside, especially lining the fans). Since I took this step, I have not had the black screen after logging in. However, the graphics card still gets hot when I play AOC.

The how to video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6YHcPzCvfg

GTX 260

How to fix it would be "buy a GTX 1060".

Quote Originally Posted by Shax84 View Post
    GTX 260

How to fix it would be "buy a GTX 1060".
    Bah! 3dfx Voodoo ($250) running through Matrox Millenium G400 (around $70) will do! $320 for the set!
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 1st November 2016 at 07:41.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticAsylumLA View Post
    Bah! 3dfx Voodoo ($250) running through Matrox Millenium G400 (around $70) will do! $320 for the set!
    I found a Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 graphics card for $125 refurbished (I needed to upgrade from the GTX 260 in order to play Conan Exiles). Installed it last night and AOC looks great (again)!

Quote Originally Posted by Radicaltop View Post
    I found a Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 graphics card for $125 refurbished (I needed to upgrade from the GTX 260 in order to play Conan Exiles). Installed it last night and AOC looks great (again)!
    I picked up some GTX 1070, but I have not tried out Age of Conan yet.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12