Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Player Progression Trajectory

Default New Player Progression Trajectory

Hey everyone,

I'm newish player who made a bunch of attempts over the years to get into AoC, but only really found a footing recently with a character who got past level 20 or so (Conq). As a long-time TSW player I think the world difficulty level really hit home post-EPE nerf over in that other game. I'm loving more careful pulls and the general slower pacing of the leveling so far.

In any case I've been mightily enjoying myself, but at the same time as I approach mid-game (I'm sitting at level 38 currently) I'm realizing that I'm not exactly certain what I should be aiming for going forward. I am under the impression from my own research that a good deal of the expansion packs can be a little "pick and choose" in terms of what they offer for progression forward. This is more of a "plan for endgame 80 gearing" than really needing help with the 40+, but I still wonder what I should be aiming for when I do hit 80 and want to get started on Crom PvE endgame stuffs. I have RotGS and I believe the faction equipment is a early good step at 80, correct? I also used the recent sale to grab Turin and Dragonspine, which I believe were the expansions I gathered had the most useful gear and progression-based content?

A lot of what I've found myself is older (from 2013ish) and I believe it is mostly still the case, but I wanted to check. Specifically I think I should start with the RotGS faction equipment at 80. The other question is if it is worthwhile to do the Turan 50-55 zone when that comes up?

Thanks!

Khitai is the way to go, the only way to be honest. There is no gear that is as good as khitai gear before T4 gear. Not even T3,5 is as good as khitai gear, well only the weapons are worth getting.
    "Progression" before level 80 is worthless, leveling nowdays is too fast, the only reason why people stay on lower levels a bit longer is to get the purist achievement. Most people just try to reach level 80 as fast as possible and then farm end game gear.

On level 80 it looks like this:
    Option A: Farm khitai faction quests and khitai dungeons, get some epic gear (main parts), jump into T4 raidforce, farm there for some time and get T4 gear and then repeat the same over and over again in T5 until you reached T6 (which will probably not happen since there are like 3 guilds that actually can kill bosses there and free spots in their raidforce are rare like diamonds).
    Option B: Farm WB to death until you got T1 / T2 gear, then farm Raidfinder for some time (basically just stay afk and let the other people struggle with the boss) and boom, T4 gear.
    Option C: Buy Lottery Caches from items shop (if you have a lot of money to throw out of the window) -> free T5 gear.

Turan is just a nice to have, helmet from Ardashire Fort is good but not far better than khitai faction ones. Only the T3,5 weapons are worth looking at... but you will probably get T4 weapons a lot faster. Dragons Spine is only for T5 and T6 gear, the group dungeons drop gear that is almost the same as khitai gear but the dungeons are (especially Ubah Kan which can take up to 4 hours if your group is not full of experienced pro gamers) 100 times harder than Flame / Vortex / Palace runs. So almost no one does them.

Thats basically it, grind until you are bored to death.

95% of the playerbase chooses Option B, fastest way to get awesome gear with minimum effort.
    Last edited by xCodename; 29th September 2016 at 19:11.

This was 100% want I hoped to get! Thanks so much

Please don't encourage people to afk in rf...its better to try and do some dps than to just expect everyone else to do the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubium View Post
    Please don't encourage people to afk in rf...its better to try and do some dps than to just expect everyone else to do the work for you.
    Pfff who cares, if you wipe there 5 times the boss will die anyways, even a bunch of necros hitting the boss with their staves would be able to kill everything in there.
    Content design at it's best.

Don't expect too much fun from farming, this is pure grind, same dungeons over and over again, 90% of them are cake walks, beatable with 3 or sometimes even 2 people. A few months ago when I was still playing from time to time we actually had no other option than going in there with 3 people since everyone is either farming WB or Raidfinder. This is basically the game now, WB and Raidfinder, everything else is useless because RF and WB are just better in most ways, no CD, no effort needed, fast, good loot.
    Last edited by xCodename; 29th September 2016 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    Option C: Buy Lottery Caches from items shop (if you have a lot of money to throw out of the window) -> free T5 gear.
    You'll need a lot of luck/money for this.

Source: bought about 50 Royal Chests, it's mainly pots, pots, pots and some gold. Got ~2 T5 tokens once.

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    [...]
    Don't expect too much fun from farming, this is pure grind, same dungeons over and over again, 90% of them are cake walks, beatable with 3 or sometimes even 2 people[...].
    That is right for veteran players. However I'd like to add that farming dungeons could be a great experience for some time as long as your aim is not lootwhoring ^^. If you play with the objective to get better, then it becomes interesting. There is time before it becomes pure grind, I'd say a few month.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterClean View Post
    That is right for veteran players. However I'd like to add that farming dungeons could be a great experience for some time as long as your aim is not lootwhoring ^^. If you play with the objective to get better, then it becomes interesting. There is time before it becomes pure grind, I'd say a few month.
    Yeah, they say you can learn to play your class while doing dungeons - f.e. when you actually have to do your role and there's no one else to blame. I don't think I would learn a lot about healing just by doing raids.

Also some mechanics or general ideas from dungeons are copied into raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Misiuggah View Post
    You'll need a lot of luck/money for this.

Source: bought about 50 Royal Chests, it's mainly pots, pots, pots and some gold. Got ~2 T5 tokens once.
    Too bad there are a lot of lucky players, I saw a lot of new level 80 characters running around with all 3 major parts already when the caches were released... rest of their gear was crap that was bought from trader for a few silver, they had no AA, no class experience but were in "more difficult" dungeons like Vile Nativity or Sepulcher or even T4 / T5 raids and causing wipes non stop.

Yeah, I won't be AFKing any dungeons (why?) but this is a good idea for where I should go. Khitai faction seems my first priority, since I personally love long rep grinds and the rewards seem to be the best step up from fresh 80.

After I get that I bet I'll have a better idea of where to go from there.

Two more questions: is the 50-55 playfield for Turin worth it? or should I just stick to launch progressions? Is there anything I'd get a "jump" on by doing that content?

Last, the Helmet from AF is decent but I assume that is, again, something to get as a drop at 80?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast