Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Windows 10 - is it worth it?

Default Upgrade to Windows 10 - is it worth it?

I really wonder if it is worth it getting the upgrade until 29th july. Some people said that the upgrade process messed up their whole system (some kind of disk bug that it was busy 100% all the time or no programm working anymore) but some say that it worked well and Windows 10 is running alot better than Windows 7.

What do you guys think? Should I upgrade? And if so, is there a safe way to "revert" the upgrade to Windows 10 to make my system running again?

Make sure you have enough disk space available. The upgrade conserves your old installation so that you are able to roll back if you wish to. This can take from 30-50GB of disk space, in addition to the new Windows 10 system. I would not hesitate to upgrade. Have used Windows 10 since the RTM versions and never had any issues, except a few video card problems early on until AMD fixed their drivers.

And get a SSD if you dont already have. Takes about a hour to upgrade a system on a SSD compared to a slower HDD where it would take tens of hours. Parents cheap laptop spent over 30 hours on the upgrade process... Works fine after though.

Upgraded two computers from Win 7 to Win 10 last week myself. One of them would not install Win 10, though it seemed to be trying, because Win 7 itself was not updated. For some reason auto updating had stopped working a few months ago. Once I manually told it to download and install all updates then the Win 10 install worked fine. On the other computer I had to use the Media Creation tool to get Win 10 installed as nothing else would work.

So far both installs are working fine. It wasn't a performance hit in games like all previous Windows *upgrades* have been for me so that's a plus. But it wasn't a boost either and there are various quirks with some Windows programs that I don't really care for. Course there may be ways to change their behavior that I just haven't discovered yet.

For the record I turned basically everything off and removed all the tiles from the Start menu. Windows 10 is way too intrusive but there's plenty of guides on how to disable most things and turn the phoning home crap off.

Note that if you use Media Player it will be gone in Win 10. You'll need to download and install VLC or something similar.

If you plan on playing DX12 games then there's not really a choice. May as well get it while it's free. If not then I don't see a compelling reason to get it now. Win 7 will be good until 2020 and who knows what will be around then.

Damn, I have a SSD in my computer but I have only 30 GB space left and since I have games on it that need to be updated all the time (like AoC and others) I probably wont have enough space -.-

One more question: If I upgrade (We have 5 PCs in total here) a system, how do I get a copy of Windows 10 and a CD-Key? Is this upgrade working like full version or will everything be gone once I format the disk?

The upgrade will be bound to the hardware (probably mainboard) of the system you install it on. Once you change PC's you won't be able to use it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyall View Post
    The upgrade will be bound to the hardware (probably mainboard) of the system you install it on. Once you change PC's you won't be able to use it anymore.
    Uhm... bound to the mainboard? I... don't think this is possible in any way.

As far as I know this Windows 10 upgrade can only come in two different ways:

- One being a "one time version" (like a preinstalled version of Windows on PC you can buy in stores)

- Or after installing your version gets activated with a key (that you have to save / write down) and you can make a copy of it on the microsoft website by telling them your key number

But storing on the mainboard? I don't think this is possible, the "disk space" on a mainboard is for the BIOS and is only like 5MB huge (don't know exactly).

Well, but actually I think I stay with my system now, I have a lot of old stuff installed (old games as well as old programms for other things) and I bet there will come a lot of compatibility issues since I already had to get them running on Windows 7.
    I just update some of our other PCs and save the key (if it is possible like I said) and use it on my PC once I clean the disk again and want a fresh installation of windows.
    Last edited by xCodename; 27th July 2016 at 22:50.

What I meant is, the upgrade is bound to the Hardware-ID of your system. If the Hardware-ID changes you won't be able to activiate the free Windows 10 anymore and have to reinstall Windows 7 with your product key. This also means that you cannot move the upgrade to another PC.

At least that's how it was a couple months ago. I don't know if Microsoft has changed this recently.

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    Damn, I have a SSD in my computer but I have only 30 GB space left and since I have games on it that need to be updated all the time (like AoC and others) I probably wont have enough space -.-

One more question: If I upgrade (We have 5 PCs in total here) a system, how do I get a copy of Windows 10 and a CD-Key? Is this upgrade working like full version or will everything be gone once I format the disk?

If you want a physical disc to install from, short of outright buying Windows 10, you will need to download the Windows 10 ISO file and burn it to a DVD using a program that can create a bootable DVD such as CDBurnerXP, which is completely free btw. Microsoft's Media Creation tool will download the ISO though there's probably other ways as well. You will only need a key if you do a clean install in which case your Windows 7 or 8 key will work until the free offer ends. Once Win 10 has been installed on your machine Microsoft records it, what Hyall said, and you can then install Win 10 on that same machine repeatedly without ever needing a key.

If you personally format the drive then everything will be gone, yes. The Windows install will not do that however unless you explicitly tell it to. The usual upgrade choice is to *Keep everything* and all your games and programs will be there once it's done upgrading to Win 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyall View Post
    What I meant is, the upgrade is bound to the Hardware-ID of your system. If the Hardware-ID changes you won't be able to activiate the free Windows 10 anymore and have to reinstall Windows 7 with your product key. This also means that you cannot move the upgrade to another PC.

At least that's how it was a couple months ago. I don't know if Microsoft has changed this recently.
    They did. You can enter the original Windows 7 key into 10 to activate it. Did it last week.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

The initial Windows 10 installation is around 20 GB, but it will grow a bit. So far, I have been using a 60 GB SDD fo 8 months; and I had to disable paging files (I can move them to another drive too), NTFS-compress some archive or distributive folders (those are not needed on a regular basis), and remove the hibernation file in order to keep the system running.

I have upgraded three systems (out of many) to Windows 10 and would not recommend doing so. Performance both drops and increases, depending on the program; and the overall interface feels outdated compared to Windows 7, which is important if you are an aesthete. Vocabulary in Windows 10 becomes childish too (those "Apps" (?!) instead of "programs", "utilities", "software", "tools"; "do" instead of "perform", and colloquial English instead of standard English (Microsoft's new policy)) are pushing a lot of users away.

If you are dead set on installing Windows 10, then buy a 60 GB (128 GB for less trouble) SSD and use the Windows 7 CD key today to install a fresh new Windows 10 x64 copy from your DVD or BD.

If you wish to have a stable system, then just reinstall Windows 7.

If you wish to have Direct X 12 and do not mind the new childish vocabulary and ugly outdated interface, then install Windows 10.

I am not sure how Windows 10 copies work, but I was able to reinstall Windows 7 OEM (OEM gets tied to a specific motherboard) onto the same system with another motherboard; but I had to call Microsoft up for a special installation code.

Downgrading to Windows 7 is possible within 30 days (or 60?) of using Windows 10, as far as I know.
    Last edited by LunaticAsylumLA; 28th July 2016 at 08:33.
    • Remove daily rewards and the raid finder;
    • remove membership bonuses;
    • disable PVE XP for daily challenges;
    • remove WBs forever on Crom;
    • slow down the AA gain;
    • lower the PVP XP gain or remove the streak system;
    • remove AoE looting;
    • add the missing mobs back to Khesh., F. of the Dead, and Eigl. Mount.;
    • fix the 250+ms ping;
    • take the key away from Saddur;
    • revert T3, T3.5 (10.21.15), T4 (10.21.15), and GGG changes;
    • remove energy and add skills (like taunt) back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast