Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invitation etiquette

Default Invitation etiquette

I have been gaming since 1999, so I know I speak for more people than just myself. If a person pops-up a group invite (or a guild invite either for that matter) in my face in-game, right out of the blue, I always just click "NO" without even giving it a second thought. Some may not find this as rude, but I and many others do.

If I receive a tell from a person who is in the reasonably close geographical area to me and needs help, at least 90% of the time I will help them. Random invitations to group tell me nothing about where a player is or what they intend to do. Why would I join a group when I have no idea where the group is working, or what they are trying to do? The same goes for a guild invitation as well. Why would I ever just click "YES" and join a guild I know absolutely nothing about?

If you need help, send a simple tell..."I need help with a boss mob--can you help me?" I believe you will find the help you need, and maybe make a new friend in the process. Please do not resort to the Mrs. Doubtfire approach to finding group or guild members: "Oh, Sir, it was a run-by fruiting!"

Quote Originally Posted by Braciaca View Post
    I have been gaming since 1999, so I know I speak for more people than just myself. If a person pops-up a group invite (or a guild invite either for that matter) in my face in-game, right out of the blue, I always just click "NO" without even giving it a second thought. Some may not find this as rude, but I and many others do.

If I receive a tell from a person who is in the reasonably close geographical area to me and needs help, at least 90% of the time I will help them. Random invitations to group tell me nothing about where a player is or what they intend to do. Why would I join a group when I have no idea where the group is working, or what they are trying to do? The same goes for a guild invitation as well. Why would I ever just click "YES" and join a guild I know absolutely nothing about?

If you need help, send a simple tell..."I need help with a boss mob--can you help me?" I believe you will find the help you need, and maybe make a new friend in the process. Please do not resort to the Mrs. Doubtfire approach to finding group or guild members: "Oh, Sir, it was a run-by fruiting!"
    For the guild invites: Totally agreeing. "Ninja-Invites" are just annyoing like those Jehova's Witnesses that ring the door bell just to convince you to join them. If you want to join them you will come to them, advertising in global chat or in the forums is enough.

For the group invites: Not really agreeing... Sometimes when I was leveling and killing some quest mobs that take some time to respawn I got a lot of invites that came out of nowhere. Mostly it was a player that wanted to invite me quickly so that we are not "stealing" the quest kills each other and can both go on faster because no one has to wait for respawning mobs. If you are in combat and recieve a tell from someone, most people will continue fighting and read the tell when they are out of combat... and all mobs are dead already.
    BUT if these group invites come on level 80 just for some Mona / Palace run (or any other dungeon) while you never singned up for them I find them kinda annoying too. Expecially if they spam invites if you decline the invitation.

If you dont like guild and group pop-up windows you can disable them in interface options, whats a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerohn View Post
    If you dont like guild and group pop-up windows you can disable them in interface options, whats a problem?
    The problem is not the pop-up window, but the attitude of the person who made it pop up. "You are invited! Just sign on the dotted line, okay?" Ummm...invited to what, exactly? Who knows? Why would anyone join a group if they had no idea where the group even was, or what the group intended to do?

Run by guild invites? Seriously? Why would anyone join a guild because of a run-by invite? I know before I join a guild, I investigate the guild to see if it looks like a good fit, and I always talk to a leader, or at the least an officer. Once I join a guild, I am loyal to the guild--I just don't believe in playing revolving door with guilds. So I want to feel like I am getting it right before I join. How could anyone have any idea whatsoever about what they are joining from a run-by guild invite? It is a major turn-off for me, and tells me right off the bat that the guild in question is certainly not for me. It is a very lazy and ineffectual way to recruit, and it is very telling.

I put this here in the newcomers forum as a way to reinforce good habits that will keep new players from being frustrated, but it seems there will always be at least one who will defend even the most rude of practices. Go figure.

i agree with xCodename: while leveling i usually accept ninja invites. however, the 1st thing i do is to ask what the other player wants/needs to do. if they reply, that's fine and i have no problem to help even with quests i have done already or that i don't have.
    sometimes however they don't even bother to reply, and in that case i normally leave the group.
    "in the depths of a mind insane fantasy and reality are the same"

Yawgmoth (Ranger) - Nyxathid (Necro) - Yixlid (HoX) - Kaltas (DT) - Heung (BS) - Teysa (HoX) - Gatzu (Guard) - Krovax (Ranger) - Hurkyl (Barb) - Vedalken (PoM)

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgmoth-VDN View Post
    i agree with xCodename: ...
    Same with me. I usually check as well who did the ninja invite and from where (even if i decline). It could be a f2p player with a question or quick need of help as well, who has to use the group invite workaround to even communicate with other players in the zone.

I agree with the points of view in this thread: I automatically say no to ninja guild invites and tend to say no to ninja group invites except when I've see the other player nearby and I can assume he just wants to share the quest target kill. A /tell before the invitation would greatly improve my inclination to accept a group invite any other time.

Default sure ... why not

I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is all about ~ I take the invite, do what I want & often people leave the group because they don't like my antics (questing on my own, etc). Why would you ACTUALLY talk to them? Starting a dialogue with a person who Ninja Invited you boggles the mind.

If I'm not in a group ~ what's the harm ?

There's always the [leave] feature available for either situations, BTW.

Last edited by Mustaine; 1st May 2016 at 14:04.
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Quote Originally Posted by Amabala View Post
    I agree with the points of view in this thread: I automatically say no to ninja guild invites and tend to say no to ninja group invites except when I've see the other player nearby and I can assume he just wants to share the quest target kill. A /tell before the invitation would greatly improve my inclination to accept a group invite any other time.
    Like all the others posting here on the forums, I enjoy this game and hope it continues for many more years. I want to do whatever I can to see that new players enjoy the game and continue to play, not get frustrated and leave. If new players see the "ninja invite" as the accepted norm for this game, they would be leaving out a lot of players who might help them, if they sent a simple tell first. Like Amabala said (above) "A /tell before the invitation would greatly improve my inclination to accept a group invite any other time" and is very true of me as well. It would be exceedingly rare for me to reply to a tell that said "Hey, I'm having a hard time with this boss--could you help?" with "No." But a ninja invite gets just that--a quick click of the old "No" button.

Kurt2013 makes a good point here though--as I always sub to games I play seriously, I did not know that F2P players can not use /tells in AoC. Is that right? While I know some games block F2P players from using general chat, I never knew it blocked tells. That seems problematic to me, and not a very wise decision. So if you take the ninja invite, you can talk to a F2P player in group chat, but can't talk to them with tells? Am I reading this right? If so, that makes for a situation I have not considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Braciaca View Post

Kurt2013 makes a good point here though--as I always sub to games I play seriously, I did not know that F2P players can not use /tells in AoC. Is that right? While I know some games block F2P players from using general chat, I never knew it blocked tells. That seems problematic to me, and not a very wise decision. So if you take the ninja invite, you can talk to a F2P player in group chat, but can't talk to them with tells? Am I reading this right? If so, that makes for a situation I have not considered.
    Yes, that is why you see some f2p players use the "say" chat to get invited to groups or send ninja invites for groups. Last time it happened to me was a few months ago, so it could have been changed, but i doubt it. Maybe it is part of their "change" to the f2p model they talked about in the last official letters. F2p can send tells though, once the other player has them on their friends list, but otherwise nph channel, say chat and group/guild chat are the only ways of communication (nph is rarely viewed by premium and say is range and instance limited).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast