Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AOC Player Population - A New Thread

Just thought I'd pop in to say that I have never used Steam, and I never would.

I am a subscribing player of AoC with only one account. It would seem I'm the 'odd one out' from reading this thread about people using Steam, running bots and not subscribing.

I play on Crom and the population feels healthy to me. I've leveled two characters up to 80 so far over the last few months and have always had people to adventure with in every area as I level up, the chat channels are always active, and I have had no trouble finding groups to run with when I wanted. It may be the time that I play due to my work hours ( US eastern standard time, I usually game from 12 noon to about 7pm ) but I've had no issues with population.
    Hrulfr - Bear Shaman of Crom

Sometimes I regret that I moved to Crom from Fury When I leveled my alts up to 80, I often met other players. However, it was disappointing that the other players first picked up the quest items or killed mobs I needed. And I CAN'T gank they in these situations ))
    Last edited by Ernests; 28th April 2016 at 13:25.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Sorry but believing that AoC has a total population of 150k is very very very utopistic , and naive.
    This game got a playerboost after it went f2p and available on steam , but there is almost nothing left.

I don't know where you would think that all those people are ? You see the same faces everyday , be it pvp , be it pve.
    When I counted players a while back I came to approximately 2000 lvl 80s at prime time .
    On US prime time its not even 400 lvl 80s
    And there is definitely not tenthousands of new people leveling.
    Or the guilds I have been in so far : Same faces every day , and in every raid . Having just enough people to fill the own raid.

A population of 5000 would be realistic imo , 150k , maybe if it was 2011

Since you mentioned twitch , there is mostly not a single stream of AoC , and if , then just one or two with 10-15 viewers and that most likely people that are already playing the game.
    Last edited by slackjoint; 28th April 2016 at 14:35.
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

The 150,000 number just means that's how many Steam accounts have AoC on it, whether or not they actually play it regularly is a different story.

I have all kinds of games on my steam account, but haven't played most of them in years, and I'm sure the same is happening here.

If this game has more than 5,000 subscribers, I'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    Best part of all these statements & statistics ; we're the most toxic group of people in a game community that I've had the pleasure of being a part of ~ and I've been gaming since 95' in the on-line community in one form or another.

Anyone who says this is the most toxic community obviously has never tried the game ArcheAge. Believe me, it is not even close! Soon after launch of that game, my ignore list was full, and it holds 300 names! My AoC Iggy list consists of two names!

Quote Originally Posted by Braciaca View Post
    Anyone who says this is the most toxic community obviously has never tried the game ArcheAge. Believe me, it is not even close! Soon after launch of that game, my ignore list was full, and it holds 300 names! My AoC Iggy list consists of two names!
    I guess the insane cute and fluffyness of those Korean games , with the always-smiling npcs causes the opposit to people :S
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Quote Originally Posted by Braciaca View Post
    You should try PvP before talking smth like that

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    The 150,000 number just means that's how many Steam accounts have AoC on it, whether or not they actually play it regularly is a different story.

I have all kinds of games on my steam account, but haven't played most of them in years, and I'm sure the same is happening here.

If this game has more than 5,000 subscribers, I'd be surprised.
    Yes, this is how the 150k "Owners" figure is derived by SteamSpy. Even after someone deletes a Steam game from his or her HDD, the game remains in the Steam account's Inventory unless it is removed manually. I would guess, based on Funcom's detailed annual report for FY 2015, that AOC has 10,000 to 20,000 subs and many more free to play players for an actual population of 70k to 80k over a rolling period.
    Last edited by Radicaltop; 29th April 2016 at 05:44.
    Guild 'House Jade Asp' - PvE server

I think Texan is probably more on the money with this, without any "official" word on it you can only really compare some of those stats & a general look at other games population wise.

An example would be Neverwinter, it has one main server + RUS, available via steam & ARC.
    Averaging about 2k players a day via steam +? however many from ARC, now in game Neverwinter is bustling in comparison to AoC, every map has multiple instances many of which are full while AoC you struggle to see 5 people in some.

You also need to look at FC's turnover which sat at 10mil last year so it could never be 150k subs.

Overall its just an exercise in thumb sucking.

I cant say anything about the "total population" but what I can say about the peaks:

In our guild (Wrath of Amra, a big but certainly not the biggest guild) we have peaks of up to 40 players online. We reach a peak of 30 players online several times a week. And there are surely ~10 guilds who are as big in terms of active members as we are. So ~100 players online is a number which is far too low. 500 at the very least imo on Crom only.

If one is more intersted in this he can use player search, but careful: it has a limit of showing players, so you would have to use player search by a single playfield/dungeon (or a few more regarding the lesser populated ones) and add them up.
    Last edited by ConanLogan; 29th April 2016 at 10:09.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast