Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AOC Player Population - A New Thread

Default AOC Player Population - A New Thread

I found this website which tracks the player populations for games that appear on the Steam platform, but doesn't limit itself to only Steam accounts. Even daily activity for Twitch and YouTube is included in its metrics.

http://steamspy.com/app/218170

Age of Conan: Unchained - US version

Owners: 151,111 ± 9,394

Players in the last 2 weeks: 2,143 ± 1,119 (1.42%)

Players total: 68,742 ± 6,337 (45.49%)

Peak concurrent players yesterday: 87

I had stated over a year ago that AOC had a total population of about 150k, so this could still be true based on these numbers.
    Guild 'House Jade Asp' - PvE server

Quote Originally Posted by Radicaltop View Post
    Players in the last 2 weeks: 2,143 ± 1,119 (1.42%)
    If numbers look like this I am very interested where they come from. How do you end up with a range that goes from 1024 to 3262? That is like the least accurate estimation ever. If one were to spend an hour every day just counting how many people there are online at any given time, make some assumptions and do an educated guess based on those, I'm sure you can come up with something way more accurate.

edit: just common sense tells me most of these numbers are BS. Peak concurrent players have not hit >100 for two weeks according to this site. I know of at least 7 guilds that have their raids at the same time... Then there are levelers (yes, tortage actually has quite some people), pvpers, crafters. That's already a couple 100 people online at the same time.
    The numbers sound about right if this site only counted players that play AoC via Steam since only a small portion of the population does that.
    Last edited by Caudilloo; 27th April 2016 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Caudilloo View Post
    If numbers look like this I am very interested where they come from. How do you end up with a range that goes from 1024 to 3262? That is like the least accurate estimation ever. If one were to spend an hour every day just counting how many people there are online at any given time, make some assumptions and do an educated guess based on those, I'm sure you can come up with something way more accurate.
    Here is the methodology from the developer's (Sergey Galyonkin) Patreon account.

https://www.patreon.com/steamspy?ty=h

How it Works

"Steam Spy pulls data every minute, but updates visualizations only once a day at night (03:00 GMT), so there is no point in refreshing it more often. The data is based on several days samples: from three days for individual apps to seven days for location-based info. It means that Steam Spy is completely unreliable for recently released games.

This service relies on data provided by Valve and, well, sometimes Valve Web API servers do not work as intended. So you might see missing or wrong information here and there.

Please note that Steam Spy extrapolates data from limited number of user profiles and thus isn't 100% correct."
    Guild 'House Jade Asp' - PvE server

Where did you find this part:
    (...)but doesn't limit itself to only Steam accounts. Even daily activity for Twitch and YouTube is included in its metrics.
    Sergey Galyonkin says in that explanation that
    ''Steam Spy is Steam stats service based on Web API provided by Valve. Steam Spy automatically gathers data from Steam user profiles, analyzes it and presents in simple, yet beautiful, manner.''

Doesn't that mean that it doesn't count accounts that are not linked up to Steam? This would also explain the daily activities from Youtube and Twitch as you can link your Youtube or Twitch account to steam.

Age Of Conan - US - Has never reached even 1k players concurrently since it was released on Steam http://steamcharts.com/app/218170#All

Age Of Conan - EU - An the EU version fares only slightly better. http://steamcharts.com/app/217750#All

As much as I like SteamSpy some of its figures do seem off, its a nice tool to look at but I wouldnt read too much into it.

Please note that Steam Spy extrapolates data from limited number of user profiles and thus isn't 100% correct."
    If you look at how late AoC got buyable via Steam at all, i wonder if this is even 10% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyxx View Post
    Age Of Conan - US - Has never reached even 1k players concurrently since it was released on Steam http://steamcharts.com/app/218170#All

Age Of Conan - EU - An the EU version fares only slightly better. http://steamcharts.com/app/217750#All

As much as I like SteamSpy some of its figures do seem off, its a nice tool to look at but I wouldnt read too much into it.
    Best part of all these statements & statistics ; we're the most toxic group of people in a game community that I've had the pleasure of being a part of ~ and I've been gaming since 95' in the on-line community in one form or another.

"Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    Best part of all these statements & statistics ; we're the most toxic group of people in a game community that I've had the pleasure of being a part of ~ and I've been gaming since 95' in the on-line community in one form or another.

I dont see how that was toxic, its one of the few sources that actually is legit as it strips the correct figures from Steams db, I just genuinely want to know if Radical thinks we have 150k subs or what figure in general?

Just come when WB starts. You'll be able to see by yourself 8-10 overcrowded copys (mirrors) of game on Crom.
    This situation will continue for a couple of days after WB starts. Make an assessment of it.
    Last edited by Ernests; 28th April 2016 at 06:48.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Quote Originally Posted by Ernests View Post
    Just come when WB starts. You'll be able to see by yourself 8-10 overcrowded copys of game on Crom.
    This situation will continue for a couple of days after WB starts. Make an assessment of it.
    My assesment of it is the world boss is the current end game for f2p players.

If the activity is taking into account all the daily f2p bots accounts, alt accounts, alt farmer accs and casual f2p accs then you reach your 10k number but in actual subs i'd be damned if aoc had more than 1k, sorry to bring this back to reality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast