Thread: Getting back to Raid Leading

Default Getting back to Raid Leading

Hey guys, so I haven't played for around 2 years and I've been back around a month and thinking of starting to lead pug raids again.

I wanted your opinions on a few things that I still remember from a couple of years ago.

Do people still stick to the old weapon restrictions? This is one thing I used to hate, how it would go with PuGs if I were to change the loot rules for weapons to something more modern? where other classes can need on weapons that can technically be useful for them?

Do raid leaders still reserve shards/weapons/relics? or is it really frowned upon?

One thing I hated doing was typing, so I used to require TS3 for all raids, how do people feel about logging TS or Vent nowadays? I remember always getting tells mentioning some excuse or the other.

Any advice in general would appreciated as well.

About sticking to old rules, this is about 50/50 both for pugs and guilds. You'll still sometimes run people who cry when some other class needs on "their" item, even when the classes need the exact same stats (like demo/necro, and conq/bs/barb), but most people seem to have seen reason.

Reserving recipes and 1st/2nd/3rd shard is still common, but reserving items or urns of relics is something that will make people avoid your raids.

TS3 is the same as ever, people usually don't expect it for T1 and T2 but all raids above that usually have it.

I'm an active pugger and do appreciate!

General
    Communication is key to success in pugs.
    You need to know how to deal with evil ones with bad behaviour, slacking, ninjalooting, ninja-afking, ninjaleading and ninjapulling.
    You will also need to know how to deal with baddies such as underachievers, simple folk, shy ones and the people you have no common language with.
    Teach, kick or tolerate.
    For T1 and most of T2 you can carry 3 groups, for T3 and Erlik carrying one group often is a reach.
    Everyone hates waiting, the more breaks you have the less people go ninja-afk.
    People tend to bring their overgeared favourite chars for time trials.
    "Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you.” (Proverbs 9:8)

Voice
    Go with teamspeak, it is most popular so often people actually can use it properly. It is popular for valid reasons, one can bookmark and edit connections and settings, especially sound volumes better.
    Mumble is much better than ventrilo too.
    Table mic is evil, because of background noise.
    Stick with one language per channel.

Raid chat
    Read it.
    Typing tasks saves everyones time and avoids confusion, people are ninja-afk all the time and forget.

Loot
    Keep it simple, for example: need for upgrade, greed for vanity and keep loot rots yourself.
    Reserving is ok, but you absolutely need to do it beforehand while advertising.

Groups
    Make good groups, everyone loves dps so
    - give casters spell damage and mana taps
    - give physical weapon damage buffs
    - hybrids bs and hox prefer weapon-damage, while dt can be treated as deranged caster
    - everyone <3 procs
    - stacking equals faster filling, nobody minds if you bring 3 of random class, but dont overdo it by stacking archtype unless it is essential

New tendency is that pugs look for randoms for t1/t2 raids; t2 is still easier with voice. Don't reserve tokens because many well geared alts join for tokens only (to buy achievement pets). Class restrictions has no sense on weapons (t1/t2 ones are dropped for classes by world bosses anyway).
    Most ppl use TeamSpeak; Ventrilo is also popular in the US and Mumble is only used by French guilds (I think).
    Raid groups: ideally 2x guard/dt/pom/bs/hox/barb + conq/tos/demo/necro/ranger/sin
    Tainted Souls on Crom - Johara's Featplanner

Hushi (HoX) - Igne natura renovatur integra

DPS group x2:
    3xnecro with melee pet
    2xpom with hc
    1xtos with full sf, totem and mana tap

Tank group:
    4xdt 2ds 2 tali
    1xbs with melee stuff

Support group:
    4xconq carnage with heal banner and battlerez
    1xbarb hybrid with all weap buffs
    1xbs with melee stuff

Could the imaginary template above be an effective composition for and leader in a t1 without vioce chat??

Quote Originally Posted by lolipope View Post
    DPS group x2:
    3xnecro with melee pet
    2xpom with hc

Tank group:
    4xdt 2ds 2 tali
    1xbs with melee stuff

Support group:
    4xconq carnage with heal banner and battlerez
    1xbarb hybrid with all weap buffs
    1xbs with melee stuff

Could the imaginary template above be an effective composition for and leader in a t1 without vioce chat??
    Seriously ? No.
    That is wrong on so many levels, it must be trolling