Thread: Searching for Lore about Heralds of Xotli

Default Searching for Lore about Heralds of Xotli

Hey there guys,

I've recently begun reading REH's Stories about Conan and wonder...is there a chapter that contains detail about HoXes? The concept of the class in AoC really makes me yearn to read some background info...
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

Nothing in REH stories. I am not interested in non-canon so I can't point you to any other story (and do yourself a favor and don't read those, its garbage).
    Retired

I don't think the existence of mages dominated by Xotli who happen to fight with weapons and can transform into his servants is implausible given the canon...

But the fact that they use fire seems to be simply something that suited Funcom's needs in early development rather than anything from the books, since they had three types of elemental magic to divide among their mage classes (I believe in the comics and post-REH books, Xotli is associated with frost rather than fire).

The apparent lack of canon lore about hoxes is a bit sad but not really unexpected, since i couldnt really find much online.
    Thanks for your feedback guys.
    The Noob Comic, best parody on MMO-gaming ever. Funcom featured @Page 318
    Gone with the blastwave For those special post-nuclear moments...
    Apprentice Shield of the Risen opener

While there istnt much about heralds, there is so.e material on Xotli. He is classified as the Lord of terror and kracken of Atlantis, with some back story about how Conan defeated his cultists if you Google it.

Otherwise, xotli is the same as any other lovecraft great old one, an unimaginable terror that us so vast and incomprehensible that to even be exposed to its smallest element would induce instant madness and insanity. It's a common theme in the lovecraftian pantheon. You can also Google lovecraftian gods and get all kinds of info, and fantasy flight makes some awesome cthulu games as well that give you a ton of lore which crosses into Howard hyboria fluff as well.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    While there istnt much about heralds, there is so.e material on Xotli. He is classified as the Lord of terror and kracken of Atlantis, with some back story about how Conan defeated his cultists if you Google it.

Otherwise, xotli is the same as any other lovecraft great old one, an unimaginable terror that us so vast and incomprehensible that to even be exposed to its smallest element would induce instant madness and insanity. It's a common theme in the lovecraftian pantheon. You can also Google lovecraftian gods and get all kinds of info, and fantasy flight makes some awesome cthulu games as well that give you a ton of lore which crosses into Howard hyboria fluff as well.
    Yeah but REH was influenced by Lovecraft so there are PLENTY of weird cthulu-esk monsters.

As a general rule magic in REH books is A LOT less flashy than what you can see in AOC. Its more powerful, yet more subtle.
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    Yeah but REH was influenced by Lovecraft so there are PLENTY of weird cthulu-esk monsters.

As a general rule magic in REH books is A LOT less flashy than what you can see in AOC. Its more powerful, yet more subtle.
    It's like that in every game basically though. "Subtle" doesn't really translate well into engaging spell rotations or complex PvP. Even games based on LOTR (where magic is extremely subtle) tend to make it more flashy.

Tbh, I think AOC is pretty good at this - a lot of the magic that is "part of the game story" rather than "game mechanics" is pretty close to what you're talking about from the books. For example, Mithrelle controlling the (kinda anthropomorphized) Tortage volcano through virgin sacrifices, having to gather warm hearts in order to commune with Ymir, or "The Swarthy Man" hypnotizing the priests in Tarantia with his voice, are examples of magic I would say is a part of the story told in AOC, and it doesn't really break with REH's magic.

Demonologists using Waves of Flame, Thoth-Amon making a bunch of corpses explode, or Yah Chieng making pools of blood appear under players is rather just game mechanics.