Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expansion Access

Exclamation

**edited
    So that this doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Last edited by Mustaine; 17th December 2015 at 01:02.
    "Always review over the Social Guidelines before posting on the forums"

"Please put "Illinois ftw" in your reply to ensure you read all of this ..." -VORBIZ-

Quote Originally Posted by Mustaine View Post
    Considering all the recent F2P models lately; I could see how OP (& others) would feel that they're getting jipped.

BUT (big but) ~ considering all the negative press funcom gets on MOM sites, these forums, and word of mouth ... I wouldn't have expected anything less TBH.

If you bought the expansion recently; shame on you for not doing the research. If you bought it back when it originally came out ~ common' man ... you're just trolling at this point.

I'm perfectly happy to pay a subscription, I am perfectly happy to buy content. I am not however happy to pay a subscription and be charged for content in a free to play model.

The thing is, I would come back and be paying a subscription anyway, but because they charge for the expansion then gate it behind a subscription in a f2p model I won't on principle, yes I know the irony of it being I would pay a subscription either way so it really doesn't matter, but it's the principle of the matter.
    Ashareth: Assassin (80) - Tsong: Ranger (80) - Ashoreth: Dark Templar (80) - Belidos: Conqueror (80)
    Ashorath: Guardian (52) - Asharoth: Priest of Mitra (80) - Asheera: Tempest of Set (80)
    Asharath: Bear Shaman (5) - Asharatep: Demonologist (80)

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    I'm perfectly happy to pay a subscription, I am perfectly happy to buy content. I am not however happy to pay a subscription and be charged for content in a free to play model.

The thing is, I would come back and be paying a subscription anyway, but because they charge for the expansion then gate it behind a subscription in a f2p model I won't on principle, yes I know the irony of it being I would pay a subscription either way so it really doesn't matter, but it's the principle of the matter.
    And what kind of principle would that be?

The current FTP model fails from a practical perspective, yes. It is incoherent (F2P with B2P elements like Turan) and intransparent, and it does a poor job in bringing F2Pers and subbers together.

But there is no reason of principle why a game which initially had both a box price and a sub requirement should not drop the box price later, but keep the sub requirement.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

When paying a subscription to access the Rotgs expansion was ok for people before 2011, why isn't it now, after the game went partially f2p?

In the days before f2p, you had to pay for the expansions and a subscription to access any part of the game.
    Today, if you want to play the Rotgs expansion, you need to have bought it and to pay the subscription.

The thing that changed with the game going so called f2p is, that now you can access parts of the game without paying.

So when did anybody take away anything from people who bought the expansion?
    It's just that nothing changed when you want to access it.

Of course I also would like to be able to access all the expansions I have bought as f2p.
    But, good decision or not, they decided to gate the expansion behind a subscription. It's an unpleasent but not an unfair decision.
    Last edited by Leif0311; 20th October 2015 at 12:17.
    Nalianda

Quote Originally Posted by Leif0311 View Post
    So when did anybody take away anything from people who bought the expansion?
    It's just that nothing changed when you want to access it.
    Because almost no other f2p game does it this way, almost all of them have a base game that is free, then certain areas or expansions are purchased to unlock and an optional subscription that gives you bonus things or access to areas without purchase, what we have here is not a free to play system, it's an unlimited trial.
    Ashareth: Assassin (80) - Tsong: Ranger (80) - Ashoreth: Dark Templar (80) - Belidos: Conqueror (80)
    Ashorath: Guardian (52) - Asharoth: Priest of Mitra (80) - Asheera: Tempest of Set (80)
    Asharath: Bear Shaman (5) - Asharatep: Demonologist (80)

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    Because almost no other f2p game does it this way, almost all of them have a base game that is free, then certain areas or expansions are purchased to unlock and an optional subscription that gives you bonus things or access to areas without purchase, what we have here is not a free to play system, it's an unlimited trial.
    Give it whatever tag you like - but why is an "unlimited trial" such an outrage that you would refuse to subscribe? What you are effectively saying is "the game is worth the sub fee - but their payment model is silly so I won't pay". Which is irrational. Either you think the game is entertaining enough to justify paying the subscription fee. Or you think it isn't, in which case you don't sub.

Also, I don't get your argument that your incentive to subscribe would be greater if more content were available without subscription (i.e., pure B2P). From an economic perspective, it makes a lot less sense to pay a sub fee if most or all content is available without subscription.
    Last edited by Rathothis; 20th October 2015 at 15:14.
    Rathothis|Tempest of Set || Tigrathes|Dark Templar || Isitnofret|Herald of Xotli
    BS|Sin|Demo|Barb|Conq
    Sudatorius|Noob barb on Rage

Sub for a month and see if you like it. If not, cancel it so you don't get charged again. Its only 15 bucks, I dare you to find another game though that has been as fun as Aoc.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Expansion access is kinda rediculous.

AOC is kinda like B2P and sub to play at same time.

Eitehr go free to play for the whole thing (ie include all addons in the sub)

OR once addon is bought, then its available in free to play as well.

NOT BOTH! .

it makes it very hard to get my friends into the game, cause its cost upon cost to enjoy the needed base content for smaller groups.
    that combined with the higher prices in store than competeting games, make this a very hard game to sell,

remember its not just about fun, games like this are about economy too, ive spent way too much money on this game since i started playing at launch. and yes thats my own fault. but it is very very scary too see just how much money i have sunk into it. and considering the lack of updates and years of just waiting for engine overhauls etc. its made me feel rather cheated. And also makes it hard to recommend the game from a financial standpoint to other people. especially since Funcom is having issues.
    So i think a very needed change to item store and in particular the freetoplay / sub models, needs to be looked at. and i believe that a more intuitive, and kinder pricing system will actually generate MORE cashflow for age of conan, than big updates will.

that being said, item store revamp would be a good combination with craftingrevamp and raid finder being added.

One of the greatest ironies about this is FC being a pioneering F2P-modeller in the first commercial MMO space, with Anarchy Online.

I still would like to see certain elemants of the game, new (NG no 6ies?) and old (T2, but no W3?) opened up to F2P. T2 allows for a faster token (easily upgraded to T3) collection obviously but the most desired items are weapons and certain armour bits, most require rares. Weird obsessive grindy people are going to farm WB anyway for tokens whatever, so why bother withholding because of a select few. They can now join the fun. Opening up NG would be a great advertisment for subbing unto itself. And visually and snically, it's Bee Ayy yootifull.

Quote Originally Posted by Melekaiah View Post
    Expansion access is kinda rediculous.

AOC is kinda like B2P and sub to play at same time.

Eitehr go free to play for the whole thing (ie include all addons in the sub)

OR once addon is bought, then its available in free to play as well.

NOT BOTH! .

it makes it very hard to get my friends into the game, cause its cost upon cost to enjoy the needed base content for smaller groups.
    that combined with the higher prices in store than competeting games, make this a very hard game to sell,

Why does it make it hard to get your friends into the game? You can play for free pretty much all the way up to level 80. By that time they really ought to have figured out if they like the game enough to pay to play the rest of it or not. It is not really all that expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast