Thread: New Player - Questions

Default New Player - Questions

Short backstory. OK, so I'm not exactly new, but my highest character was only 45, and obviously, I never experienced end-game back at launch, but I did become familiar enough with the leveling systems of the time and the general game progression. For what it's worth, I also have RotG from a brief return stint a few years ago.

This time, I made a Demonologist on Crom, and I'm having fun (level 28 so far). Leveling is easy enough. I frequently bite off a bit more than I can chew, and try to fight 3 +3 level mobs, but other than that I'm sure I'll have no issues hitting 80. Info for this game is difficult to sort through, though when it comes to what to run when, AAs and how to earn them, and so forth. My playtime, due to my work schedule lines up the best with AU times. Since there's only a couple of servers left, I assume this isn't an issue, but I do wonder . . . Are Demonologists even wanted for groups, or should I be leveling a PoM or ToS? It's still early enough to switch. As a subscriber, is there any relevant info out there on AAs, like how to earn them, when you earn them, how best to spend them while leveling, ETC.? I'm sure that those of you that have been here since the beginning know this stuff inside and out, but for us newbies, end game looks a bit daunting compared to something like DCUO, for example, that has everything presorted into tiers for the new player's viewing pleasure. Any good sources of info looking towards end-game progression for the new guys? Finally, last I played, I found myself jumping all over the place to level. I don't have any issues with this, but it did feel a little chaotic, as I frequently found myself outleveling other zones in my questlog while not yet being able to complete quests in the current zone I was in. Is this something that is remedied with XP potion use, or is there now a "preferred" leveling path that makes things a bit more streamlined that I should know about?

Thanks for the replies folks. My favorite part of this game is still the music in Conarch's Valley. I've been known to AFK there and just listen to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderica1 View Post
    Short backstory. OK, so I'm not exactly new, but my highest character was only 45, and obviously, I never experienced end-game back at launch, but I did become familiar enough with the leveling systems of the time and the general game progression. For what it's worth, I also have RotG from a brief return stint a few years ago.

This time, I made a Demonologist on Crom, and I'm having fun (level 28 so far). Leveling is easy enough. I frequently bite off a bit more than I can chew, and try to fight 3 +3 level mobs, but other than that I'm sure I'll have no issues hitting 80. Info for this game is difficult to sort through, though when it comes to what to run when, AAs and how to earn them, and so forth. My playtime, due to my work schedule lines up the best with AU times. Since there's only a couple of servers left, I assume this isn't an issue, but I do wonder . . . Are Demonologists even wanted for groups, or should I be leveling a PoM or ToS? It's still early enough to switch. As a subscriber, is there any relevant info out there on AAs, like how to earn them, when you earn them, how best to spend them while leveling, ETC.? I'm sure that those of you that have been here since the beginning know this stuff inside and out, but for us newbies, end game looks a bit daunting compared to something like DCUO, for example, that has everything presorted into tiers for the new player's viewing pleasure. Any good sources of info looking towards end-game progression for the new guys? Finally, last I played, I found myself jumping all over the place to level. I don't have any issues with this, but it did feel a little chaotic, as I frequently found myself outleveling other zones in my questlog while not yet being able to complete quests in the current zone I was in. Is this something that is remedied with XP potion use, or is there now a "preferred" leveling path that makes things a bit more streamlined that I should know about?

Thanks for the replies folks. My favorite part of this game is still the music in Conarch's Valley. I've been known to AFK there and just listen to the music.
    i dont find any class more attractive then another anymore in groups.
    Veterans have so many alts. Earlier when tank and heal was in great demand, its now plenty of people who play those types.
    If there is one class that is preferred in hard mode and raid is Tempest of Set, since it heal ok and do great aoe damage + have bubles + have steadfast faith....
    Dt and conq is prefered as tank, since guard to a tad less damage, but most dungeons and raid can afford 1 lower dps tank.

Demo do great aoe dps, and also good single target dps, so i dont think u will have a problem finding a group.

For gear this site is great
    http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/armory.php

As to lvl'ing its a long time since i did, but xp potions and those xp rings would speed up quit a bit i suspect.
    Old time progression was connarch valley/khopsef/wild lands- Field of death-Elg mountains-Ymirs Pass-Aztel-Khesetta, but now we have so many new zones, you cant do all zones all quests. U just have to choose what u would like to lvl in.

I think the new Vaneheim area is fun. Ymirs pass is awsome, Connarch valley is fun, Gateway to khitai is also nice, Aztel for lvl 65-75, I dont like thunder river so much. When u get closer to 80 we have many cool solo dungeons now to cramp those last lvlels to 80.
    Last edited by mrhood; 4th September 2015 at 11:30.
    Moderated by SciIti : please, not this sort of joke, thank you

Toons: Darthpowie, Powie, Lynvingeen, Zummigummi and friends <3

Imho every pure dps class is pretty optional as every tank and healer can do high dps as well .
    A demo does not have much to offer for the group except caco demon and green heal if specced.
    On tos you can top the parse of both healing and dps while a demo will struggle against a tos in a dps race .
    Tos is also better at debuffing and grants the group decent mana regen .
    On necro you could send a a pet for offtanking and give and also give a minor heal to the group. (32 HP/s I think)

Tho demo is a good way to start if you are new as you wont have much responsibility and it is very easy to play.
    For AA perks I would recommend :
    Pressing strikes , decisive strikes , will of the sublime , enchanter , cacodemon and ring of fire .
    Start with decisive and pressing strikes as you want high crit and crit damage rating for doing good dps
    Ring of fire is pretty useless before rank 3/5 and a WoF spec

If you want I could post my pve spec a bit later when I am on my pc
    Typing on mobile
    Excuse mspellings and strange auto erections
    --------------------------------------------------
    (current) Mains: Slackjoint (tos), Daraiios(sin) , Quorrin (DT)

Yes the new store still blows

Just play the class you like the most, every class is needed when it comes to groups there is not really such thing as a wanted class that noone plays. But you should try out other classes too since you are missing the combo system of AoC with a caster class and the combat system of AoC is one of the great things it offers.

Quote Originally Posted by xCodename View Post
    Just play the class you like the most, every class is needed when it comes to groups there is not really such thing as a wanted class that noone plays. But you should try out other classes too since you are missing the combo system of AoC with a caster class and the combat system of AoC is one of the great things it offers.
    I used to be. Before they shortened them down to almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarundr View Post
    I used to be. Before they shortened them down to almost nothing.
    But nowdays you really have to hit your combo steps to do decent damage. Back then when combos where like 5 or 6 steps long you just had to land the finisher of the combo, everyone were running around and preloading a combo to land the finisher.

And still, as meele player you need to run arund and you can perform hits while running unlike casters who have to stand like a rock there to finish their spell (not talking about instant spells here, demos get a lot of them).

Quote Originally Posted by slackjoint View Post
    Tho demo is a good way to start if you are new as you wont have much responsibility and it is very easy to play.
    I think this is a good advice. Although I also recomend you to try out other classes just for the fun of it, for an almost new player (to end game at last) in my opinion it is important to learn and play one class very well, the worst thing you can do is play 3-7 alts and suck at every one off it. If you have not played in a group that often it will help you a lot if you are familliar and comfortable with your toon. That way you have much more time learning how to move in a group, what to do in a certain dungeoun and so on.

You can find usefull stuff here:
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...Need-some-help

Obviously raids have a tier system, 1 beeing the easiest, progressing through 2,3,4,5 (6 ).
    For "dungeoun tiers" here is a very very usefull guide:
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthr...ungeon-Delving

While leveling don't bother with AAs too much, slackpoint gave some good advices allready, but if you are not sure don't waste points. While leveling you get one (?) point per level, and this ones you can use on both sides, pvp and pve. Later on they will be precious when you see on which side you gain points faster, depending on your preferred playstile (pve/pvp).

The easiest way to find decent infromation is finding a decent guild and someone playing a demo who will talk you through everything.