Thread: [RP Announcement] The Bridal Games (no hunger involved)

Default [RP Announcement] The Bridal Games (no hunger involved)

The Cryer took another look out of the door. Outside Khemi slumbered, the air cooled by a recent downpour. The tide had turned and the smell of salt water drifted up from the bay. All was quiet except the distant calls of the nightwatch.

It was the kind of night he remembered from his youth, something he had missed in the dry cold desert of Luxur. He felt the pangs of homesickness. He clenched his teeth in anger. He would be exiled no longer! He closed the door and quietly returned to the single shabby room. The foreign woman was sitting on an upturned barrel by the fire, sharpening her sword with a honing stone.

“The time is close,” the Cryer said, “she comes at the dark of the night at an hour when even great Set slumbers.”

The redheaded woman just grunted and continued to work the stone along the blade.

The Cryer tilted his head. “That does not interest you?”

“’Ah understand,” the woman grunted. “Lass tha wants killed ‘ll be ‘ere soon.”

His eyes widened. He flapped his arms in a mad panic, signaling her to keep her voice down. “Be quiet!” he hissed, “the words you speak are treason! This woman is servant of a noble house, perhaps a minor noble herself. The Prince she serves has a reputation for precipitant acts of extreme and ruthless violence….”

The redheaded woman said nothing, just kept honing her blade with the stone.

The Cryer sighed and settled down on the second barrel, warming his hands at the fire. “You must understand that I don’t take this decision lightly,” he said. “If word were ever to leak of my involvement, my wife, my family they would all be slain. To move against House Jade Asp is suicide, even the King would think twice about it. She has driven me to it! Yes! Driven me by her relentless persecution!”

“Killed many of tha loved ‘uns ‘as she?”

“Well no..”

“Schemed agin thee then?”

He shook his head. “Nothing like that.”

The woman put her sword aside and took a sip of water from her flask. “Must ah been summat? Man don’t pay what you paid on a whim?”

“You’ll understand when you meet her,” he promised.

The redhead laughed. “Ah don’t plan to meet ‘er. Tha’ daft bugga! What does tha think a killer does when thee see their mark? Sit an’ ‘ave tea we um? Tha’s crazy. Maybe that’s wot them assassin fella’s do around ‘ere but up north? We just kill the bugga!”

This was getting into areas the Cryer would rather not have spoken aloud. Since the woman had ignored his signals to be quiet he decided to move the conversation elsewhere. “You are sure the body won’t be found?” he murmured.

“Ey. ‘Ave a boat down byt docks. Stones and chains all set. She won’t be coming up ‘till end ot world I reckon.”

He nodded silently. This kind of preparation was why he had hired a professional. He looked up at the woman. “She drove me to it,” he said. “Drove me!”

There came a knock on the door.

The Cryer swallowed. “She comes!”

The redhead picked up her sword and stood ready. Now the business was at hand she made no sound. Just a brisk nod to signal her readiness.

Trembling with fear and anticipation the Cryer rose and walked to the door.

#

The Apprentice smiled. “Good trip?” she asked. The Cryer blinked and looked at her smiling face. For some reason she was holding two steaming earthenware cups.

“Oh I brought tea!” she said smiling wider. “Because… well I don’t exactly know why. Thought we would have a chat. You know? Catch up a little.”

“You should come inside then,” the Cryer heard himself say. “We can sit by the fire.”

The woman smiled. “Spandy!”

He held the door open then guided the apprentice down the short corridor to the single room. “Nice place!” she babbled as she followed close behind. “I’ve always had a weakness for seedy dives. So glad that it’s still a popular architectural style in this part of Khemi.”

“Arggghhh” The Redheaded woman pounced, driving her sword hard into the Apprentice’s stomach.

And missed.

It wasn’t like the Apprentice dodged, indeed she followed close behind the Cryer babbling incessantly, not even noticing her assailant. No it was more like the sword managed to reach the spot just a few seconds after the Apprentice had left it.

The woman stopped and peered at the blade with a look of puzzlement. “Tha bugga?”

“Oh you have a friend!” the Apprentice gushed. “Wish I’d known! I’d have brought another tea.”

“She is not a friend,” the Cryer said, feeling courage now he had a fighter on his side. “She is here for you!”

“You mean a gift? Awww you shouldn’t have! Mind you I do like the color… very red.”

She turned to him. “I’ve never been ginger you know. I mean I keep hoping but it’s never on the cards. I think that copper color looks especially pretty, don’t you?”

“Shurrup!” the redheaded woman said, taking another dive at the Apprentice.

It was hard to say what happened next. It wasn’t a dodge exactly because the Apprentice didn’t seem to move and the tea in her hands remained undisturbed. However somehow the woman missed badly, toppling over one of the barrels and going sprawling into the wall next to the hearth.

“Vanir, I’m guessing,” the Apprentice said with a nod. “Tendency to violence and serious impulse control issues.”

The woman had rolled over in a vain attempt to rise. The Apprentice placed a foot on her neck and pressed down. Surprisingly this was enough to pin the Vanir in place.

“Was gooin on?” the woman asked as she flailed around on the floor.

The Apprentice’s face brightened. “Well I think opinion may differ depending on who you ask. Someone with an interest in natural philosophy might mention experiments with half dead cats in sealed boxes… Which is really dangerous if you pick on the wrong cat. Still others may say that this is what adding your Dex bonus to your armor class would look like in the real world. Literary minded people may point out that this is a useful side effect of having walked ‘The Pattern’ while a literary critic may suggest that the author was just too lazy to post a six page running sword battle just to make an amusing forum post. If I were you I’d just call it ‘Hax’ and have done with it.”

She offered the trembling Cryer his tea. “There we go. Why don’t you go outside a few minutes and think over what just happened? I’m sure when you do you’ll be happy to give my Master’s new announcement. Oh and try to ignore any strange lights, smells of brimstone… screaming.”

The shaken man took his tea on instinct. He nodded and turned towards the door. “W… what will you be doing?” he asked.

The Apprentice smiled down as the prone woman.

“I told you,” she said with a smile that froze the Cryer’s blood, “I’ve never been ginger before.”

===========================================

I was going to make an announcement but we haven't settled on a day yet. So here is the info. The Noble Lord Neverlin, Prince of Stygia is seeking a bride. A games and fate will be held to decide a suitable bride. The winner of whatever social rank will become a princess with all that implies. Could anyone that is interested please PM me with the name of the character and which day would be best for you. We plan to hold the event this Friday or Saturday after 9:30Pm eastern. The day we chose will depend on how many are available on what day. Look for a further announcement on Thursday.

There may be midget tossing… just saying….
    Last edited by Dreamsmith; 23rd June 2015 at 18:58.

The apprentice smiled down at the midget and then glanced furtively over at the tree. The branches had been used as the framework to set up a crude tent and there the rest of the man's "troupe" busied themselves. The young fellow, the one with the prominent nose and wild hair was studying his reflection in a highly polished brass mirror. The willowy blonde girl was cavorting around the tree in a crazed song-dance that made little sense even if you spoke just about every language there was.

"So," Laylia said, sitting next to the dwarf. "I was wondering what you do? I'll be honest, I watched your friend's act and I don't think they are right for us." She nodded at the skipping blonde. "Your lady friend must have upset someone very powerful to get messed up like that?" The dwarf said nothing.

Laylia took a deep breath. "Look we might hire you, but not your friends, we said we needed dancers and .... well.. to be honest they aren't very good?"

The dwarf looked up. "I can dance if you want to?" he started, "We can leave my friends behind? 'Cause my friends don't dance and if they don't dance. Well they're no friends of mine?"

She gave him a small smile. "Your loyalty is overwhelming," she said, "You are sure of the details? You know where you have to go?"

The little man jumped to his feet pointing dramatically off into the distance. The bells on his jesters hat tinkled for a moment.

"I say, we can go where we want to," he said, "To a place they'll never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world and leave the real one far behind!"

"That's nice," Laylia said, reminding herself again how nice her room was, "but I was kind of hoping you would tell me that you planned to be in Bubshir?"

The little fellow seemed offended. "We can go when we want to," he corrected, "The night is young and so am I! And we can dress real neat from our hats to our feet and surprise 'em with the victory cry!"

She sighed and bowed her head. Mad people were not her area but somehow she seemed to find them.

"Perhaps another time," she offered, deciding to excuse herself from this conversation. She rose to leave.

An idea seemed to have come to the dwarf. "Say, we can act if you want to?" he said "If we don't nobody will? And you can act real rude and totally removed and I can act like an imbecile?"

"That would seem to sum up our conversation," Laylia agreed, but by then the dwarf had picked up a small mandolin and was chasing after the skipping, chanting blonde girl.

Laylia looked down. Another day, another crazy. As she headed from the squatter camp back into Khemi the Dwarf and the blonde collided and fell back giggling like loons. It was probably best she didnt hire them, the apprentice thought, since the two couldn't even safely dance.

(Hummm a scheduling conflict means we will have to postpone the Bridal Games until later. Would any maidens interested please notify me by PM so we can find a date amenable to all. Stay tuned, there is more to come!)

"You really want be to read this?" The crier asked looking down at the parchment in disbelief.

Laylia started as him, looking as if she was frustrated with a stupid animal, she replied quickly. "Just read it, I have laundry to attend.

With a sigh the Stygian town crier began:

"Hear ye, hear all respectable citizens of Khemi. Prince Neverlin, of House Jade Asp...somewhat... sadly reports..?" The balding man turned to Laylia quietly "Did i read that right? 'somewhat sadly?" Laylia remained quite and just nodded and the crier continued. "All right, somewhat sadly reports the passing of his wife, Sendra the Barbarian due to 'extremely old age.'" The crier took a moment to compose himself "May, Set have mercy on her decrepit soul."

A light applause from the those gathered to hear the news ensued. The crier continued.

"To 'celebrate this tragic event, the Great Prince Neverlin has a new round of Bridal Games to take place over the course of three weeks, across our world in search of his new bride to be. The great Prince has decreed that all eligible and ineligible suitors are welcomed to participate in the games, for the chance of the hand of our dear prince. Interested participants may register with Laylia, teams are also welcome. A generous dowry will befall the lucky winner of the event."

OCC: So yes, Neverlin has put out the call for a bridal contest. The competition will take place every Friday at 9:30 EST from July 10th through the 24th. With the finale scheduled between the two top contestants July 31. This is an RP event, and everyone that is interested may participate, whether as a contestant or interested observer. The competition will include hunting quests, dance offs, cook offs, jack offs, mortal kombat, just to name a few. Each event will be scored with a certain amount of points. you don't have to come every week, but you will probably score more points if you do! We will announce the location the night before and in game. Send a tell or message to Laylia or Dreamsmith for more details. There will be a prize, at least 20 gold to the winner, plus some more stuff.

Most important thing is to have fun guys!

(( Is this still on for tonight?

I was planning to post an RP response from Sendra, but I've been crazy busy with work. I may still do it but it will be after the first event.

But this should be fun! Every RPer should show up to participate, mess with the participants, mess with Neverlin - drink and place bets on what happens - whatever!

Pax would greatly appreciate it if someone would please distract him from the fact that he made him a tad bit angry last night.

Pax looks wearily at the debris on the ground, trampled in to the dirt by the wedding guests. By most measures the event had started well. True, there were only two contestants, but the event would run for several more weeks. Pax wasn't sure what called the Apprentice away, but she hoped it wouldn't be a normal thing for the course of the event. She had plans and they didn't involve staying in Stygia.

The nobles from the House Merano had retired to the castle and the serving staff should be ready and prepared for them. She finished up, sending the various staff off to their usual duties and stretches, cracking her back.

A ride. Yes, the racing stable needed exercise. She would take a string out and perhaps swing through the Caravanserai on the way back to see how Sir Guy's campaign progressed.

Default A Letter to the Prince

:::A common parchment, folded in the western style of important messages and sealed with wax bearing the imprint of a rampant boar. The writing, however, is obviously not from the hand of a westerner, being written in perfectly spaced, detailed and beautiful High Stygian.:::

My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience but I was forced to detain your slave, Pax, and the horse upon which she rode. I shall of course return them to you, undamaged, upon demand but feel I should offer explanation as to why they were detained.

It seems there is an archer in Hep-Kab by the name of Raven. And, seeing as your slave has some obvious attachment to this archer, I felt it best to detain the slave rather than risk your slave informing the archer and the rebel slaves in Hep-Kab of my plans to lay low their rebellion and impale those rebel slaves whom we capture.

Additionally, your slave has acted with unmitigated audacity in refusing such simple commands as “Come closer” but I will not bore you with such trivialities at this time.

There was also the matter of her threatening bodily harm to several freemen.

I shall keep her detained, bound and naked but unused at my camp in Caravanserai. If you wish her delivered to your castle or elsewhere, send word as to your desires and I shall see that they are carried out without delay.

With humble sincerity,

~Sir Guy de Leon, Knight Commander of Skalvo Forikajo, Third Order Knight of the Rose, Knight Attendant to the court of Duke Etona, Hero of Greenbridge

Poeros lounged in the upper levels of the Serpent Head Inn with her favored wine within easy arms reach. The first round of the competition had gone smoothly enough. Although disappointed by the lack of participants in this round, she felt the need in giving some respects to the other that she had competed with. While not a native to the land, her competitor had trouble finding the desired item the Prince had requested of them both. In many ways the other female was the crowed favorite for she had done her best and her best was commendable. If--- no, better to say when she would win given that Poeros herself had no true intention of winning. The competition was in truth a way to pass time and to entertain one self until boredom set in once more. With no one else participating yet, the win for the blond was a given. perhaps Neverlin's plans on world conquest would finally come into motion. She seem to have the drive to make her would-be-husband pleased. Even begging for his affirmation on her efforts would Poeros had simply left after the first round was over.

Letting out a sigh, Poeros scanned the inn again for her friends: Mouse, Pax, and Laylia. None were to be seen this day. Would she venture to the lower levels and become social with those that dared to seek others within the walls of this place?
    Poeros Sacmis
    Noble troublemaker, Labyrinth Walker, and loyal friend.

A crate the size of a medium sized dog arrives at Sir Leon's slave caravan. A sickening slurping or suction noise sounds from the wooden crate and upon the it rests a leather satchel budging with a mysterious content. Withing the satchel is an old, soil gown and letter in high Stygian.

Sir Leon of Skalvo Forikajo:

I am in receipt of your correspondence and would first offer you the thanks of a grateful nation for securing my property.

Please find enclosed a gown that I request you have the ungrateful slave put on immediately, you can inform her this is the last dress that will ever grace here body.

In addition, please find within the crate a voidling of the same species that Kumanam brought to the inn the other day. I recall the slave enjoyed the singing it made, as such lease have this creature accompany the slave at all times while she is in your custody.

Lastly, I'll require the slaves attendance during round two of my Bridal Competition, which will take place in Cimmeria next week. If you cannot make it yourself, please ensure she as at the Border Kingdoms by then.

Thank you again for your diligence in this matter, you will off course be compensated for your time and provisions. I apologize for any trouble this has caused you.

Sincerely,

Neverlin of House Jade-Asp

Quote Originally Posted by Guy-de-Leon View Post
    :::A common parchment, folded in the western style of important messages and sealed with wax bearing the imprint of a rampant boar. The writing, however, is obviously not from the hand of a westerner, being written in perfectly spaced, detailed and beautiful High Stygian.:::

My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience but I was forced to detain your slave, Pax, and the horse upon which she rode. I shall of course return them to you, undamaged, upon demand but feel I should offer explanation as to why they were detained.

It seems there is an archer in Hep-Kab by the name of Raven. And, seeing as your slave has some obvious attachment to this archer, I felt it best to detain the slave rather than risk your slave informing the archer and the rebel slaves in Hep-Kab of my plans to lay low their rebellion and impale those rebel slaves whom we capture.

Additionally, your slave has acted with unmitigated audacity in refusing such simple commands as “Come closer” but I will not bore you with such trivialities at this time.

There was also the matter of her threatening bodily harm to several freemen.

I shall keep her detained, bound and naked but unused at my camp in Caravanserai. If you wish her delivered to your castle or elsewhere, send word as to your desires and I shall see that they are carried out without delay.

With humble sincerity,

~Sir Guy de Leon, Knight Commander of Skalvo Forikajo, Third Order Knight of the Rose, Knight Attendant to the court of Duke Etona, Hero of Greenbridge