Thread: Conan lore

Default Conan lore

Been looking around abit, Seems its kinda hard to find a site where the lore of the game is explained / Written down.

Anyone got a site where the lore of the game is wrote down. Lore About the game from all classes to all zones / factions.
    Would be lovely to refresh some lore

Thx for taking ur time reading this.

Maz

there is nothing more substantial about the game out there than Conan wiki. However whole game is based on R.E.Howard original Conan books (and some other non-REH stories) so the best way to get to know Hyboria more is to read those original stories.

Because the stories are public domain now you can read them for free on the internet:

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/howard/robert_e/

I have also written few posts on lore:

http://aochideout.blogspot.com/search/label/Lore
    Retired

The game basically ties the works of Robert E. Howard, to H. P. Lovecraft. Fairly well, actually.

Didn't Funcom ask a few months back about preferences on some sort of lore system they were looking into implementing?

Quote Originally Posted by Texan615 View Post
    Didn't Funcom ask a few months back about preferences on some sort of lore system they were looking into implementing?
    That's tied in with the acievement system.

Quote Originally Posted by gcustoms View Post
    That's tied in with the acievement system.
    really? In what way?
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Slith View Post
    really? In what way?
    Supposed to be. I think the lore system got replaced by the panoramas.
    Fass
    Professional northmen slayer of saga
    {Circle of Eternity}

Quote Originally Posted by Fass View Post
    Supposed to be. I think the lore system got replaced by the panoramas.
    Pretty much same as me waiting for bar brawls, though there was some lore gold hidden in the game. *cough* Raven's tale, three black feathers Tarantia noble *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Mazraq View Post
    Been looking around abit, Seems its kinda hard to find a site where the lore of the game is explained / Written down.

Anyone got a site where the lore of the game is wrote down. Lore About the game from all classes to all zones / factions.
    Would be lovely to refresh some lore ...
    Slith covered it. But for the published and unpublished stories see: http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Stories

For in-game stuff see: http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Conan_Wiki

There used to be an even better AoC wiki (think it was wikiaoc, or something), but it vanished. The Barb class write-up in that guide made me buy AoC -->

Some make bargains with dark things from corners of the world in pursuit of power. Some commune with nature, conjuring the powers of lightning and storms.

Some see a problem and reach for the biggest weapon they can find. In the world of Hyboria, this is the Barbarian.

Masters of melee combat, barbarians aren't known for their subtlety. Their survival in the dangerous world of Hyboria relies on their abilities with a diverse array of weapons. Barbarians wield everything from the usual axes and clubs - two at a time, as no true barbarian cowers behind a shield - to mighty two-handed blades that Crom himself might struggle to lift. Barbarians with a little more guile about them may also learn the ways of the bow, or have a few throwing weapons tucked here and there for when things get dicey (or when someone makes the mistake of running, as running away from a barbarian is the surest way to die tired).

Magic doesn't enter into the vocabulary of these fierce fighters. Magic, to a barbarian, is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    In balance with this life, this death
    -- Hand of Ibis RiP
    Magic is seeing what happens when you hit someone really hard, and when they disappear in a red spray, that's magic.
    -- Jansensen, Gunderman fighter {max taps - RiP}
    CQB Ranger

You can youtube most of the Howard stories, they are recorded, some even dramatized. There is a really good version of the "Elephant in the Tower" and "The Frost Giant's Daughter" on youtube. All of them are public domain. There are some collections you can buy, most are 19.99 USD. The Kull books are really good too, and reading some Lovecraft gives you much better insight on the "Gods from Beyond", "The Outer Dark", and "From beyond the Void" as they are described within the game. Lovecraft stories you can buy in almost full collections, which is nice. There are some movies that are based on Lovecraft lore too, Dagon, The Dunwich Horror, Re-Animator...

Fantast Flight produces some great Cthulu based games that give you a great taste of the Lovecraftian pantheon, and there are some older source books from an 80s RPG pen and paper game that go into great detail about almost anything Lovecraft. I believe they were TSR published, I'm not sure on that one. I think they were made by the same people that did the 80s version of the Dr. Who RPG if it wasn't TSR.

Funcom actually did a decent job with Conan as far as lore...I really liked the storyline behind Dragon Spine, that was well done. As for AoC lore, pretty much just AoCWikki, and whatever a few players blog. If you search for actual Howard and Lovecraft lore though it would be more rewarding.
    Doomsayer 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Suctum View Post
    . I believe they were TSR published, I'm not sure on that one.
    Chaosium... I miss that game. Especially miss instances when a player would try to free another player from a tentacle wrapped around his neck... using a sawed-off shotgun...
    Last edited by Lleilwin; 3rd July 2015 at 17:20.
    Khemi. Picture Hell on the cheap then add more whores