Thread: [RP Story] The Return

Default [RP Story] The Return

The former crier shivered in his doorway. She was there, smiling at him hopefully, apparently oblivious to the fact that it was the middle of the night. He sighed and shook his head, resigned to his fate. “How did you find me?”

“Oh it wasn’t easy!” the Apprentice said with a nod. “I mean faking your own death and then moving to Luxur? That was a thing of genius. You would have gotten away with it too if it wasn’t for those meddling kids.”

“Meddling kids?” the crier shook his head. There were some questions best left unasked and some people it was best not to ask questions to at all. In his experience the Apprentice was one of those people.

He shivered again.

“So why are you here?” he asked. “I am no longer the Crier of Khemi. Indeed most think me dead.”

“Right,” she said nodding, “well it’s about your replacement. As in, there doesn’t appear to be one.”

“That is the city’s problem not mine. They told me I could not leave until we found a replacement but who would take the job knowing that they would get one of your nocturnal visits? In the end when it became clear I was trapped, I realized that faking an accident was my only way out.”

He looked over to see her holding a wrist sundial to her ear. “Damned thing stopped again,” she grumbled. She frowned and looked up at him. “I’m sorry were you saying something?”

“What do you want?”

Her face brightened. “Well I need an announcement,” she said, “a proud proclamation of my Master’s latest brainwave.”

He gave a nervous laugh and shook his head. “Now?”

She pulled a face. “Of course not NOW! This is Luxur, it would be stupid to announce it here. We need a proclamation in Khemi in two weeks.”

“Khemi is many leagues from here, it can take days even by river barge.”

Her smile widened. “Which is why I’m giving you notice. You were never replaced and so technically you are still the crier. Announce my Master’s message and I may decide to leave you alone from now on.”

He sighed. “If I return to Khemi and find a replacement crier will you leave me alone?”

“Of course! Do I look unreasonable?”

The Crier looked Laylia over. “Unreasonable” wasn’t the word he would use. Crazy and dangerous topped that list. Rumors in the Souk said that she dined on human flesh.

He looked over his shoulder into the small room where his wife slept fitfully. If the Apprentice could find him in the hovels of Luxur she could find him anywhere.

He steeled himself. “I will return,” he said.
    Last edited by Dreamsmith; 10th June 2015 at 20:53.