Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this forum still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaman-bourru View Post
    I disagree on that part. RP-servers helped in the sense that from the start, RP was intitled to be there and thus almost every guild bothered to write some sort of background to there guild and act accordingly. I struggle to think of more than two important guild leader that didn't give a **** about RP. Personnally i enjoyed being able to add my PvP fights and the state of the guild wars into my character's background and sometimes discuss it with people in Teso's tavern before heading off for a due vengeance.

On non RP-servers big guilds are almost sololy efficence driven. With specific goals they want to achieve and no matter what their members do on the side. RP-servers tend to encourage a more self-policed community.

... at least that's my feeling after 3 years on an RP server.
    This might hold true on a RP-PvP-server, but trust me, an RP-PVE-server is a useless prospect unless its ruleset is both well defined and ruthlessly enforced. If someone behaves like a muppet on an RP-PVP-server you just apply Head-Off™ to the neck a few times, and then be done with it. Not so on RP-PVE. Hell, seen THAT too many times when Satetka and his muppetcrew rolls in on an RP-event.

RP-servers tend to have a better community, as you mentioned. To a certain extent, of course. There's plenty of butt-hats within the RP-communities as well, and I can write volumes about the utter hatred some RP'ers manage to spew onto those that doesn't, in their eyes, measure up to their standards in terms of RP. I've gotten my fair share of it, both in AoC and in other games (Roll a toon on the Antonia Bayle-server in EQ2 and try to make something a bit silly, like a Ratman Necromancer, and NOT write a full backstory, and trust me you'll see what I mean), and it's happened more often than not.
    Battleaxe Brain Surgeons Rides Again!

Wharrgharbl (80 Axemurdering maniac Barb)
    Ikoim (80 Conq)
    Hazakahn (80 ToSspot)
    Kegh (80 Beer Shaman)
    Vachir (80 Guardian)
    Mivat (80 Necromancer)
    A horde of other alts...

Haha nice one Slith.
    On Stygia, we had one guild called Naerth who would claim to be a foreign empire called by Conan himself to take over his land and rule over them because he was unable to maintain order in them. So Naerth would declare war to all guilds who refused to pleage allegiance to the Naerth "Empror". Of the drama and bloodshed they caused because... they weren't a six man guild. At the time they actually were the strongest PvP formation on the server with good numbers and capable of standing strong against the odds.
    At one point the "Emperor" invited the rest of the server to assist to his wedding ceremony... it ended up in Game of Thrones like slaughter with fights and man hunts all over the place after the bride got killed a dozen time by kamikazy assassins (thank god he tried to marry a demo and not a conq !) ^^

Ah the good old days ...
    Vali~The Mental Mushroom
    Vehl~The Pink Flamingo
    Vahlie~Redhead's bane
    Tisane~Kettle of Xotli
    Nvah~ . . .

Huh, what a sweet sweet flashback there Slith!

Not enough RP guilds alive to help this forum along, I suppose. RP-PvP sounds like it was a golden age from all that's been posted on it over the years, but the recent attempts I've seen to bring it back to life have often been a bit chaotic.

I have seen and heard of a few guilds that RP actively in the game, but it is closed to guild only and done in their cities from what was explained to me by one of their members. I would say that there still is RP, but not easy to get to.
    Poeros Sacmis
    Noble troublemaker, Labyrinth Walker, and loyal friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Poeros View Post
    I have seen and heard of a few guilds that RP actively in the game, but it is closed to guild only and done in their cities from what was explained to me by one of their members. I would say that there still is RP, but not easy to get to.
    Well that's totally depressing for those of us newly back. Is there any way to encourage those that do have RP that has evolved over time to be insular, to sponsor or hold an open "event" system once more?

I'm sure there are ways. There really ought to be. I tried to get events going last year to bring RP guilds out for talking, but I had issues with getting online that plague me to this day.

Serpent's Head Inn still remains a decent place to meet RPers, especially unguilded ones, and talk to those who are guilded to get members to show up more often. I am curious, what RP guilds are still active? I know mine is, though we have enough active members to count on one hand. There are a few others, but I am unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianHoX View Post
    I'm sure there are ways. There really ought to be. I tried to get events going last year to bring RP guilds out for talking, but I had issues with getting online that plague me to this day.

Serpent's Head Inn still remains a decent place to meet RPers, especially unguilded ones, and talk to those who are guilded to get members to show up more often. I am curious, what RP guilds are still active? I know mine is, though we have enough active members to count on one hand. There are a few others, but I am unsure.
    What guild is yours?

And I think I remember your forum name from back in the day on Cimmeria, but can't quite place you with a character.

An RP guild Merano(?)-something has been advertising regularly in Global. I wish they did open events that other RPers could hook into.

My guild is Red Lotus. I have only ever played on Wiccana and Set servers. I did RP with Sahada Berjara and The Fallen before now. My character is Jiahuo. Currently can't access the game as I'm on vacation, but I try to keep tabs with my guild.

House Merano looks promising, and I'm hoping they do more open events as well. The most recent I can recall, there were a lot of small RP guilds and RPers in non-RP guilds who would hang around the SHI and events tended to spontaneously happen. I think given the number of wacky schedules out there that pre-determined events are going to be hard to pull off going forward without either a very large number of people committing or else a very patient host with a long time frame for people to meet up, similar to Invicta's old Tesso Thursdays.

Good, frequent RP should not be difficult to access. SHI offers a stomping ground, but I suppose it tends to begin and end with tavern RP. I used to take people out on adventures into the nearby desert or on boatrides north into Tarantia and Cimmeria to seek some artifact or another, but even that was infrequent. Having a guild seems to be the best way to find like-minded people these days.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast