Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aoc is still a great game.

Aoc is the best game. Its unique like no other game. Quests, puzzles, achievements, groups, raids are all unique. Been here since 2008 with countless toons and classes. People in my guild know how much time I put into this game.

With that being said, I don't see what the fuss Funcom has on TSW. I played it for a week and found it to be extremely boring compared to Aoc. There are no puzzles, it is all grab mission and kill mobs somewhere. Combat could be fun if it wasn't a total grindfest to endgame and then theres hardly anything.
    Last edited by Halfdead; 28th May 2015 at 14:25.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

I'am also an on and off player since 2008, but hell, since 2008 i still play the freakin game that should mean something right?!

I've been playing off and on since launch. Every now and then I take a break from Hyboria but after some time in other games I always come back. The music, the combat, and the visuals just pull me in. Every class is fun and challenging in their own way.

SWTOR was fun for a few months but has boring combat to fill in the time between the epic storyline. Even Dragon Age, which is not an MMO was a dull slog through an interesting world.

A lot of players have this love/hate relationship with AoC. We love the game and hate how it's run or hate that it's not more popular. I'll be here until the servers shut down. My time spent in game is diminishing as my life changes (since launch, I've gotten engaged, married, and now have a child) but It's still my go-to game if I have an hour or two to kill or to unwind after work.
    ----
    Kalur - 80 Bear Shaman, Brunstol - 80 Dark Templar, Tallas - 80 Assassin, Gilben - 80 Conquerer, Pangert - 80 Barbarian, Xoltal - 80 Necromancer, Matzui - 80 Herald of Xolti, and a bunch of lower level alts.
    Wiccana -> Set -> Crom

graphics, soundtrack, combat, fatalities are all good. but the game still lacks any interesting or dynamic content. khitai still remains the primary source of endgame content 5 years later.

major bugs also continue to exist and remain unfixed (minigame, lootbox, renown etc.), and lots of content (sieges, horseracing, shrines of bori) is just mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    There are no puzzles, it is all grab mission and kill mobs somewhere. Combat could be fun if it wasn't a total grindfest to endgame and then theres hardly anything.
    i disagree. you never tried out investigative missions in tsw? some of them are very difficult. AoC's quests are even worse when it comes to mob grinding, ever do the rice quest? or shadow of vanaheim kill 125 vanir quest?

tsw imo has a good story, once you finish story i agree that there's nothing to do.
    Last edited by krippa; 28th May 2015 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by krippa View Post
    i disagree. you never tried out investigative missions in tsw? some of them are very difficult. AoC's quests are even worse when it comes to mob grinding, ever do the rice quest? or shadow of vanaheim kill 125 vanir quest?

tsw imo has a good story, once you finish story i agree that there's nothing to do.
    Honestly, I don't have much patience anymore for questing, so I didn't get too far in a week, but I found it boring to not do much. My point being was, I don't see how Funcom loves it so much over Aoc.

Rice quest I've done a few times and can be done under a half hour. I lost interest in the new Vanaheim content and luckily didn't get that 125 quest Lol.
    Halfdead/Ghiaour
    Grandmaster Tos
    Rogue Angels
    Time Trial Vids

Forum communities are usually bad. Just where people go to complain about the game (like me sometimes)
    Look at The Crew. Same thing. Except Ubisoft listens to their "customers" by looking at the forums and it's slowly eroding at the playability of the game, so I can sorta see Funcom's point.

Above all, why I love this game is realism what is achieved with graphics and animation. There are no orcks and elves with twice the bigger swords than they themselves.
    Last edited by Ernests; 28th May 2015 at 16:41.
    Kattas - 10.PvP, full T6 and full AA demo

Quote Originally Posted by Halfdead View Post
    With that being said, I don't see what the fuss Funcom has on TSW. I played it for a week and found it to be extremely boring compared to Aoc. There are no puzzles, it is all grab mission and kill mobs somewhere. Combat could be fun if it wasn't a total grindfest to endgame and then theres hardly anything.
    Sounds like you never played any investigation or sabotage missions. The best thing about TSW is the story. TSW has the best storytelling of any MMO out there, and many regular RPGs too. The Investigation and sabotage missions are also another of the best parts of the game. Those quests break the mold of the boring kill x mobs, pick up x items, etc. quests that plague most MMOs. Yes even TSW has some of the boring quests, but not nearly as large a proportion as most games.

I wish AoC had as good of quests as you find in TSW.
    Last edited by tapwater; 28th May 2015 at 19:45.

Thumbs up

I have played a lot of MMOs during the last 9 years, AOC being the second one. With few breaks I'm regularly returning to the game because it still has some unique aspect that can't be found anywhere else.

1. Lore and setting - dark, adult fantasy from the fictional past. Superior to worlds of all other MMOs.
    2. Music - Knut Avenstroup Haugen composed such a beautiful music inspired by Basil Poledouris. He is in my top 3 game music composers along with Jason Hayes (WIII cinematics, Vanilla WOW) and Matt Uelmen (Diablo, TBC). He definitely should be hired to score the upcoming Conan film.
    3. Art design - Concept artists did great job designing armor and weapons, Acheronian architecture is also awesome and is a key element in game's environment. Also the appearance of Picts.. AOC's design is so much superior to other MMOs, especially eastern asian manga crap with all those oversized swords, colourful particle effects and odd races.
    3. Environment and immersion - I really love how the environment and music goes together with the story. Revisiting old zones brings back memories (White Sands, Connal's Valley, Eiglophian Mountains..)
    4. Classes, Character customization, Combat mechanics, Fatalities - innovative in all aspects and still exceptionally good and competitive in the current MMO market.

Big thanks to developers for the work they do with the limited resources. I wish that Funcom had recognized the potential of the game and had invested in better marketing.

If we have been subscribed and playing this game since 2008 then of course we think its a great game, the issue with most folks is NOT THE GAME, its the SLOW pace of bug fixes, new content and communication. Most of us really don't expect much at this point, but when we get thrown a bone we don't expect to pay for the bone, we do think we have been good little puppies and deserve that darn bone. The Achievements are just a grind to keep folks busy, the new "anniversary, PAY content" is also a grind to keep folks busy until they get something real into the game.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast